IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

How Long can this F1 Mule stay in this pot?

Allen

This is getting close to as large a pot as I can put this in and move in during the winter.  Will the Mule palm decline if it gets root bound?  it is in a 20" x 20" pot.  It is around 8' tall.  Ball cap in photo for size reference.  I can possibly get it into one size larger pot but will be difficult to move.   

IMG_1419.JPG

IMG_1418.JPG

IMG_1417.JPG

Edited by Allen
  • Like 2

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

I take it's a clay pot? If so, you can get one made of plastic that's larger than the current one. They make plastic pots that look exactly like clay pots, if you like that clay pot look. That's gonna take quite a bit of weight off it and buy you some time.

Edited by Estlander
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Estlander said:

I take it's a clay pot? If so, you can get one made of plastic that's larger than the current one. They make plastic pots that look exactly like clay pots, if you like that clay pot look. That's gonna take quite a bit of weight off it and buy you some time.

Costco had really nice 25-30g equivalent sized plastic pots for 20$ or so that im using for pots. Also if the roots arent coming out the bottom yet then you still have time. Unfortunately the shape of your pot currently , looks like youll have to break it off to repot your palm. 

• Like 1

T J 

A furniture dolly works great for moving them around as long as you have smooth surface to maneuver on. 

i6_5_69.jpg

Edited by RJ
  • Like 2

Nice looking mule palm. I don't use any large ceramic pots, only plastic or resin. I use heavy duty plastic wheeled dollies from Harbor Freight for my uber tropical potted palms so I can roll them indoors during cold fronts. Wood/carpet dollies can't take as much weight.

I move my very large potted palms with a hand truck.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

20gp.jpg?v=101106552816-1I bought me one of these about 10 yrs ago to save my back. This one takes 1000 lbs. You can put 36" pots or B&B nursery stock on this and move it easier that you think.  The large tires make it roll easier over rough terrain.  It fits through standard gates too.  The regular appliance dollies are flat and the pots tend to roll off them during transit.  This one is deep curved and lets the pots cradle into the dolly.  I move large stuff in and out of the greenhouse with this.  I would lose a kidney before I let you take my nursery dolly.  It is worth the money spent!  ;)

jimmyt

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

@jimmyt I have actually been looking for such a hand truck with anticipation of moving potted palms indoors for the winter. Where can you purchase that bad boy ? 

T J 

I bought mine from A. M.  Leonard.   Online.   Check them out.  you will spend some money but it will last a lifetime.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jimmyt said:

I bought mine from A. M.  Leonard.   Online.   Check them out.  you will spend some money but it will last a lifetime.

Well you weren't kidding $$$ it better last a lifetime haha Definitely seems ideal for what i need tho 

• Like 1

T J 

We have removed a big palm out of a pot shaped like that. It was also a lovely glazed terra cotta, and we didn't want to lose it. We lay the pot on it's side, with the base raised a bit, wrapped the leaves up in a blanket, that made it much easier and hosed all of the dirt out.  We trimmed the roots where necessary not much and squashed them in. 

I then sat in front of the pot with the palm over my shoulder and feet on the pot rim and slowly pushed and kicked the pot off. It was not as hard as we thought that it would be, but it was very slow and messy and a certain amount of pulling and kicking was involved.

We only made that mistake of putting a big palm into a pot with the top shaped like that, once.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

Thats pretty much how i figured something like that would go haha. Thanks for the visual :floor: if it was a tender palm definitely breaking the pot seems easiser, cause at that point the palm is worth way more then the pot. 

T J 

Yes I have gotten palms out of these pots it's not as hard as you think but breaking is a option since this is a 'prize' palm.

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

5 hours ago, Allen said:

Yes I have gotten palms out of these pots it's not as hard as you think but breaking is a option since this is a 'prize' palm.

Yes you have a nice specimen there and the technique @gtsteve painted for us seems like the way to go if you wanted to save the pot 

T J 

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/15/2019 at 9:54 AM, RJ said:

A furniture dolly works great for moving them around as long as you have smooth surface to maneuver on. 

i6_5_69.jpg

Hi, this type of dolly will take quite a bit of weight, I have one that I use to move the piano here, Its a 9ft concert grand weighing in around 1000 pounds or so. If you put something on it to set the pot on you'd be surprised how easy it is to move around. Thanks Mark

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

the flat furniture dollys will work as long as you have a smooth surface.  Just lay an appropriate size piece of adequate thickness plywood on it then put the palm pot on it.   I would also recommend you attach a rope to pull it with either via an eye screw or tied directly around the end of the dolly.   This is a 2 man/woman process for sure.  Pulling is much easier than trying to push this dolly at such a low level.  I have one and I have tried it too!

On 9/10/2019 at 12:07 AM, Mostapha said:

Hi, this type of dolly will take quite a bit of weight, I have one that I use to move the piano here, Its a 9ft concert grand weighing in around 1000 pounds or so. If you put something on it to set the pot on you'd be surprised how easy it is to move around. Thanks Mark