IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Queen Palm Planting

Dartolution

On 8/26/2019 at 10:19 PM, Dartolution said:

So after 18 days its put out another frond and has one coming up as a spike. 

I added some general potting mix on top of the soil that had spilled out, exposing the roots in the nursery pot, as well as a bit of espoma holy tone for acidity. 

I got some palm gain and was wondering what everyone would recommend as far as feeding while in the nursery can goes with palmgain. 

I am also watering daily. 

Is it okay to use palmgain at maybe half strength in the pot? if so, how often?

Just use the Palmgain using the potted plant size chart. Keep in mind it's not a slow release fertilizer so it'll only last 4-6 weeks. Probably don't want to fertilize as much as cooler weather comes in.

I had a large Queen here that always looked happier in the winter. Cut it down a couple years ago, was getting too tall.

2 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

Here's an idea 

https://youtu.be/zGQ2wf3FmiE

thank you that was so helpful, that looks like an easy and less expensive way to protect your trees which is what i need. also do queens become significantly more cold hardy as they mature?

22 minutes ago, PlantDad said:

thank you that was so helpful, that looks like an easy and less expensive way to protect your trees which is what i need. also do queens become significantly more cold hardy as they mature?

Yup. As others have stated, mature, they can survive the low 20's.  However to get to that stage, they must be protected while young. 

• Upvote 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

1 minute ago, GottmitAlex said:

Yup. As others have stated, mature, they can survive the low 20's.  However to get to that stage, they must be protected while young. 

ok thank you.

22 hours ago, NOT A TA said:

Just use the Palmgain using the potted plant size chart. Keep in mind it's not a slow release fertilizer so it'll only last 4-6 weeks. Probably don't want to fertilize as much as cooler weather comes in.

I had a large Queen here that always looked happier in the winter. Cut it down a couple years ago, was getting too tall.

@NOT A TA Do you think its safe to use Epsomas Holy Tone to help acidify the soil? Everything I have read says the Queens like slightly acidic soil.

I used Holly-tone a lot up North going way back to the 70's ahahaha but never used it on palms so unfortunately no experience with it for that use.

22 hours ago, NOT A TA said:

I used Holly-tone a lot up North going way back to the 70's ahahaha but never used it on palms so unfortunately no experience with it for that use.

@NOT A TA

I use some espoma bio-tone starter in planted pots all the time, with a lot of other media and organics. 

The holly-tone has sulfur chips in it I think that help acidify the soil. I wouldn't think it would hurt the queen palm would it?

Also, all the new growth in the pot coming out is a bright green (not faded) just vibrant. 

Is that normal for queens?

On 8/27/2019 at 11:22 PM, GottmitAlex said:

Here's an idea 

Pretty much exactly what I do for mine!

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

On 8/27/2019 at 11:22 PM, GottmitAlex said:

Here's an idea 

Pretty much exactly what I do for mine!

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to give about a months update.

Here she is in the nursery can still. 

Been watering daily, and used half strength palm gain in the pot, and some holy tone on the top to help lower the pH since my tap is around 7.8

Edited by Dartolution

Really don't like that PalmTalk doesn't recognize HEIC files, or allow multiple uploads of pictures on the same reply thread... ER!

• 3 years later...
On 8/15/2019 at 6:52 AM, SEVA said:

I know I mentioned some of my wrapping methods and suggestions in a separate topic, but I will second that it should probably be wrapped when temperatures drop below 25F.  Just to reduce the risk of any damage.  While we do have a few more nights that are cold enough to kill a queen palm in 8a VA compared to 8a AL, these temperatures do not occur throughout our winters.  I might have made it seem like it does due to the long duration I have been keeping my queen wrapped.  Last winter, we only dropped below 20F four times.  We certainly have more nights than that below 25F, but our average winter low is 33F.  Over a typical winter, we can expect night time lows to range anywhere between low/mid-teens and 60s, but 20s-40s are more common (of course it can get colder as witnessed in recent years).

Do you still have your Queens ?

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Yeah would like to know as well, since Im planing to try to grow a queen palm here in chicago protected. 

12 hours ago, ChicagoPalma said:

Yeah would like to know as well, since Im planing to try to grow a queen palm here in chicago protected. 

Honestly good luck.

These get fairly tall fairly quickly. It has been a struggle for me these post two winters protecting these things, since they are much taller now. 

With that being said, I would be curious to see how long you can keep it up there.

• Like 1

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 4 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 4 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 2 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

It’s interesting that these don’t do as well in the higher humidity. Maybe a combination with soil conditions. Here in California they seem to tolerate the cold unprotected. Harry

2 hours ago, JLM said:

Honestly good luck.

These get fairly tall fairly quickly. It has been a struggle for me these post two winters protecting these things, since they are much taller now. 

With that being said, I would be curious to see how long you can keep it up there.

I'd probably have it for a decade before it outgrow too high.

15 hours ago, ChicagoPalma said:

A queen will be a pain because of the height and it will need protecting for about 3 months longer than a Trachy.  (1.5 months longer in spring + 1.5 months longer in fall) due to Mature Trachy protecting at 12F and Queen at 25F 

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

32 minutes ago, Allen said:

A queen will be a pain because of the height and it will need protecting for about 3 months longer than a Trachy.  (1.5 months longer in spring + 1.5 months longer in fall) due to Mature Trachy protecting at 12F and Queen at 25F 

These winters just keep getting warmer, because our polar vortex used to last longer and took some time to arrive and stay, but now they come and go fast within a weeks time and this year we had 50s on Christmas and 70s during February, last year was 60s in february and January but don't forget the 80s on the second week of April of 2023.  So yes protection will be a pain but I never really had to protect my Trachy this year only just for two-three weeks time because my parents wanted to put the palm box on whenever it went below 23F. So yeah queen palm will be probably out for longer periods of time.

Edited by ChicagoPalma