IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pygmy Date Suckers

Beachpalm

Has anyone cut the sucker roots out and replanted them successfully?

How large were the suckers when they were cut?

Thanks for any input

Welcome to palm talk Pygmy dates don’t sucker. What you have is multiple palms planted together 

Thanks... so then I have maybe some seeds that have germinated.  

The main plant is 4 feet tall.  These new plants are each 4 to 6 inches coming from the base at a 45° angle.

The plants healthy and showing new growth up top.  Is it safe to delicately cut the new growth ?

It may not be a pygmy date palm, Phoenix robellini they usually don't do that.

It may be Phoenix reclinata they send out other trunks from the base.

But in any case I doubt that the suckers would live if removed unless they have roots attached.

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

Show us a photo of the whole palm. I suspect your palm is not pure Pygmy date but a hybrid or another species. Pygmies do not sucker. It likely came from FL where almost all date palms are hybridized. In any case you can remove and compost the sucker but be prepared for more.

Welcome to PalmTalk.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Yes I actually bought it in Ft Myers.  Along with the Cat Palm in the background.

They withstood 2 days in the back of a pick-up truck in 90° heat and 70mph winds. 

Both got a little sunburn but seem to be doing ok in a sunroom.  A plant light investment is in my future.

20190731_091029.jpg

2 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Show us a photo of the whole palm. I suspect your palm is not pure Pygmy date but a hybrid or another species. Pygmies do not sucker. It likely came from FL where almost all date palms are hybridized. In any case you can remove and compost the sucker but be prepared for more.

Here a link to suckering pygmies (no hybrids):

https://www.rarepalmseeds.com/index.php?route=product/search&search=phoenix mekong

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

I have read there is some Pygmy dates that do sucker. I don’t think you can find them in the nursery trade in Florida. I have never seen them before,

2 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

I know those, tried them too. Of the first batch I got some vicious non-pygmy that I ended up digging up & pitching out. From the lone germination of the second batch I got what appears to a pure non-clustering, slow growing pygmy date. Not trying those seeds again.

The potted palm in the photo does not look pure pygmy either. Probably a hybrid.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

53 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

I know those, tried them too. Of the first batch I got some vicious non-pygmy that I ended up digging up & pitching out. From the lone germination of the second batch I got what appears to a pure non-clustering, slow growing pygmy date. Not trying those seeds again.

The potted palm in the photo does not look pure pygmy either. Probably a hybrid.

I got a batch of 50 seeds from RPS on 2004-02-12. Within one month 42 seeds germinated. The leaves of the seedlings looked a bit softer than my normal Ph roebelenii seedlings, but when I gave them all away in 2008 to a botanical garden the seedlings were still too small for suckering. So I don’t know if they finally produced suckers like the palms you could see in Thailands markets.

1 hour ago, DavidLee said:

I have read there is some Pygmy dates that do sucker. I don’t think you can find them in the nursery trade in Florida. I have never seen them before,

These palms are of the Mekong type (from Palmpedia):

1919334043_PhroebelMekong.jpg.0925b4fae1d23a29b3ad442f31c6f299.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Its turns out that there were two other seeds and two separate plants intertwined within the mature palm root system.  Surgery was a success.

• Like 1

I've seen that on other potted Roebellini at big box stores.  They initially planted 3 or 4 (or more) seeds and hoped for a standard "triple."  2 or 3 seeds germinated in the normal time and then another germinated much, much later.  

I do have one Roebellini double that appears to be growing several offsets out of the base.  I'll have to take some photos to look at later, but it was a double when I bought it and now has 3 more trunks coming out of the middle.  Very odd!