IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Yet Another De-husked Coconut Experiment

palmsOrl

I was telling another Palmtalk member how I really wanted to get my hands on a Mexican tall coconut palm, for the hardiness and appearance.  He said to just look at the grocery store for de-husked coconuts labelled "Product of Mexico" and that these would all be from Mexican tall variety palms.  I went to Publix today and they had coconuts and the label on the side of the bin said product of Mexico.  But when I got home, I noticed one actually has a sticker on it that says "Product of Dominican Republic".  So Either, they are all from the Dominican Republic or they are a mixed batch, some of which are from Mexico.  I am inclined to believe the former.  So, I will check out a couple local Mexican markets with higher hopes for finding coconuts truly from Mexico.

As for these, I assume they are the Creole tall variety and I will be happy to have 1-2 in my collection.  I have them soaking in water outside in the shade right now, where they will remain for a couple days, then I will do as Alex suggests and put each in a Ziploc bag with a bit of water, the bag then being placed in a bowl so the coconuts do not actually sit in the water.  Then, I will wait...

coconut_photo_7-30-19.jpeg

• Like 4

Growing storebought coconuts is a fun experiment, and you get a beautiful palm! Mine isn't even a year old yet and it looks pretty good to me. Mine is one from the Dominican Republic. 

15645299369584854747765389909531.jpg

Edited by PalmTreeDude
  • Like 3

PalmTreeDude

Love 'em.

One of mine is doing splendidly.

Here is its picture from today. (Turned out to be a golden Mexican tall) 

20170405_163446.jpg

20170405_163513.jpg

15645307823987605784335409852922.jpg

20190730_140534.jpg

Edited by GottmitAlex
  • Like 2

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Some of the store bought coconuts from Dominican are hybrids used to be dwarf size and produce a lot of fruit and be resistant to pests so you never know what your going to get. Just remember what you see on the. Beach and what’s on the farm may be different 

Would this likely be the same story for coconuts from Mexico Rickybobby?

Personally, if I found a coconut on the beach somewhere on the Gulf of Mexico (or FL Atlantic coast), I would have a hard time having faith that it was a specific variety, even if the coconut itself had very strong morphological indicators of a particular cultivar/variant.   Could be a Malayan that floated to the ocean from a canal in Florida, or a Mexican tall, or an Atlantic or a hybrid, who knows.  I guess you could at least tell golden/green tall or golden/green dwarf when it got larger.

Well, I checked out a couple small Mexican markets yesterday and did not have any luck.  One store had coconuts already drained of the water in bags by the register and the other hardly had any produce on the shelves at all.  Fortunately, there was a Bravo Supermarkets nearby, so I checked it out and they had a large bin full of coconuts.  The paper sign attached said "Product of the USA", so there is no telling where they are from.  I am not aware of any commercial coconut production in the US, maybe Puerto Rico?

Since I was there, I bought one that was full of water and starting to germinate.  I soaked it overnight and put it in a large Ziploc bag.

Coconut 8-1-19.jpeg

• Like 2

Up north anyway everyone of the coconuts sold doesn’t matter the store is a product of Dominican Republic. So either a dwarf or hybrid 

the ones we buy from nursery’s. who knows. We shall find out lol

• Like 2

I'm sure even if they are actually a product of Mexico, they could be dwarfs or hybrids too.  So who knows.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update...I will post photos and more details later.  I was at my local Walmart yesterday and they have coconuts from Mexico.  The vendor address is Mcallen, TX, so this indicates that the coconuts are coming from the correct side of Mexico to be the true "Mexican tall".

• Upvote 1

On 8/1/2019 at 2:46 PM, Rickybobby said:

Up north anyway everyone of the coconuts sold doesn’t matter the store is a product of Dominican Republic. So either a dwarf or hybrid 

the ones we buy from nursery’s. who knows. We shall find out lol

The coconuts from the DR are mostly Criollo tall, but some plantations do use hybrids. For this reason, any time I sprout grocery store coconuts I try to find the thinnest and most elongated coconuts.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11295-009-0229-6

• Like 1

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Here are a couple of photos of the tag on the coconut I bought from Walmart.

The one coconut I bought a couple weeks ago that had already started germinating rotted (the growth shriveled).  So, I took the remaining coconuts out of the bags yesterday, let them dry off so they weren't sitting in there wet, then put them back in the bags without any actual standing water, just left over moisture.  One of the others started germinating, let's hope it keeps going.

That makes sense Keith about the tall variety nuts being more elongated.  Interestingly, the ones at Walmart are very roundish, not elongated at all.  I am going to stop and buy a few more today, to ensure I should at least get one sprout from these.  I think the challenge will be keeping it alive after the sprout pops out of the nut.

Has anyone thought about, or tried simply soaking the dehusked coconuts then planting them sideways in mostly sand, so that all of the eyes are buried but the top portion of the nut is exposed (or perhaps just barely covered)?  Maybe the new growth is too tender to start growing in substrate before it reaches the point it would typically be at once it gets through the husk?

Cocos 8-14-19.jpg

Cocos_2_8-14-19.jpg

Here is the information on the Fresco Produce website, under "Location":

Frescar and Plantaciones Espinosa are located in the Mexican Pacific, in Tecomán, Colima, where due to the geographic location, we can grow and harvest all year-round.

Fresco Produce, LLC is now located in McAllen, Texas. We have a new state of the art 25,000 sq ft temperature controlled facility. We use our facilities so we can distribute throughout North, South, East and Central U.S. with very competitive prices.

MEXICO
FRESCAR SA DE CV

Km. 2.5 Carretera Costera de Tecomán a Playa Tecomán, Colima. México. 28100

Colima, Mexico is located on the Pacific coast adjacent to Jalisco, so I am going to say these are most likely Pacific tall.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, palmsOrl said:

Colima, Mexico is located on the Pacific coast adjacent to Jalisco, so I am going to say these are most likely Pacific tall.

You got it!

Commercially sold coconuts in the Mexican pacific states: Jalisco/Colima/oaxaca/Nayarit/Chiapas/Guerrero/Michoacan are pacific Talls.

• Like 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We were at a Brazilian market in Orlando yesterday near I-drive and I noticed that they sell coconuts with the husks still attached, so I decided to buy one and try it out.  Most were green and this one has some color change but I am not sure if it will be viable or not.  They were sitting in a refrigerated case and I am not sure whether such refrigeration would render them unviable (as would freezing) or just prevent germination unless the coconut is returned to favorable germination temperatures while still viable.

20190921_175208.jpg

20190922_010723.jpg