IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Peckerwood Garden Palm Tour

Swolte

Dear Cold hardy Palmlings,

Peckerwood gardens (Hempstead, Texas; 8b/9a) will have a lecture tour this coming Saturday on Palms and Cycads that looks mighty interesting. Just registered. Any of you going to be there?
http://events.r20.constantcontact.com/register/event?llr=ucvzdw9ab&oeidk=a07efyho9v671250e08 

I'll try and take some pics!

~ S

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Swolte said:

Peckerwood gardens (Hempstead, Texas; 8b/9a) will have a lecture tour this coming Saturday on Palms and Cycads that looks mighty interesting. Just registered. Any of you going to be there?
http://events.r20.constantcontact.com/register/event?llr=ucvzdw9ab&oeidk=a07efyho9v671250e08 

~ S

Thanks for the heads-up!

Jon Sunder

Very interesting and not far away at all. Might be a lil short notice tho =/ 

T J 

13 hours ago, Swolte said:

~ S

Saw this as well.. Would encourage any and all TX. / other PT members who can attend.. / make the trip to attend to join the tour. And yes, lol.. take LOTS of pictures. Should be all sorts of cool stuff in the overall collection to photograph. Would be preparing for a weekend trip there from here if i had the funds this year myself.  

Older video, not the best quality, but it gives you some good background.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The tour was awesome! I'd HIGHLY recommend a visit if you're in the neighborhood (or even if you're not). Adam, the director (and tour-guide for today), is very knowledgeable and kind. I took quite some pictures but wasn't always able to keep up with the note-taking. Anyway, here are some impressive pics of Butia's & Mule to start off with! I'll share some more pictures throughout the weekend!

Butia1.jpg

Butia2.jpg

Mule.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

Serenoa Repens (saw palm) slowly moving up my favorites list. The second picture shows a large specimen flanked by Cycad Taitungensis in a normally less public area of the gardens. Third picture is the green form. 

Repens_2.jpg

Repens.jpg

Green_Repens_3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

And the Brahea! First picture is Brahea Bella. The second pic is a close-up of the trunk that, if you look closely, has a little one growing from the side. The third picture shows some Armata. All these were reportedly struggling with the Central Texas climate.

Brahea_Bella.jpg

Brahea_Bella_outgrowth.jpg

Brahea Armata.jpg

Edited by Swolte
  • Like 1

Brahea Moorei, on the other hand, were doing well. 

Brahea_Moorei_1.jpg

B Moorei 2.jpg

Edited by Swolte
  • Upvote 2

Sabals. First and second pics are Sabal Uresana (specimen in first pic is about 30 years old). The small palm in the third pic is an 18 year old Sabal Birmingham. 

Sabal Sonora.jpg

Sabal_Sonora_2.jpg

Sabal_Birmingham.jpg

Edited by Swolte
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

First picture shows the variety in Sabal Brazoriensis phenotype (some get trunks whereas other stay low). Second pic shows Sabal Causiarum. Third pic is Sabal Taumalipas (I really liked this one so took a seedling home).  

Sabal_Brazoria.jpg

Sabal Causiarum.jpg

Sabal_Taum.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

That's it, folks! What I shared is less than half of their palm collection (I also saw some windmills, date palms, dwarf feather palm, etc...). There were even areas of the garden that we were unable to visit due to time constraints. I may go back there in two weeks (for a tour on Magnolia's) so please do let me know if you like more info on anything I showed.
:) 

Edited by Swolte

@Swolte thank you sir for the pics. I will have to make it down there some time. Maybe we can get some of the other texas palm enthusiasts from PT to meet up too =) 

T J 

Yes, my pleasure! They provide private group tours too on request (for no extra charge per person than a normal: $15). Count me in. I was barely able to soak it all in that day.  
:)