IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Christmas Palms in Pot

Patrick Palms

My 3 Christmas , 2 a double, 1 a single, out side on terrace. I think in good health, temp never gets under 15c, mostly always very warm. But windy alot. Hence the brown leafs. Do my palms look healthy, apart from that? 

20190726_203324.jpg

20190726_203408.jpg

Do you tend to cut off a lot of fronds? It seems your crowns are lacking in foliage. I’m very windy here and sometimes dry. I wonder if you have some root issues 

The one by the bottles in the first two pics doesn't look like it's planted deep enough which keeps new roots from developing in the adventitious root zone. So as the plant is getting larger it's struggling because of lack of roots to feed the above ground parts of the plant.

Everything in your pics, including the in ground plants in the background, all look somewhat burnt. Has it been very hot/dry/windy recently? Full sun for days with no clouds? Didn't see any clouds in your pics. If that wall's south or west facing it's a very very hot small micro climate next to the wall at times.

Watering daily?

They looked stressed and windblown. These are tropical palms that want high humidity while your location appears dry and windy. Low humidity will suck the life out of them and looks like it has. Also, your location on an exposed island in the North Atlantic opens them to salt air, which also damages leaves. Adonidias planted on Ft. Myers Beach always look ratty from the sea air. Can you move those palms to a more sheltered area?

• Like 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

So , i need to add more soil ? The palms are on the only terrace i have, ...Will wind damage leafs, grow back again ??

12 minutes ago, Patrick Palms said:

So , i need to add more soil ? The palms are on the only terrace i have, ...Will wind damage leafs, grow back again ??

Yes they will. 

How often to you water them?

As others have asked: Where are they facing? South, north, east, west. 

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Terrace is on north east. Unfortunately.  I wish it was south facing. 

Maybe when bougainvillea and other climber , grows along fence, it will help to protect against the wind. I put palms in bigger pot and plenty of water

20190726_203436.jpg

20190726_203414.jpg

20190728_120105.jpg

• Like 1

Man here said , " Palms just have to adapt to conditions " ??

3 hours ago, Patrick Palms said:

Man here said , " Palms just have to adapt to conditions " ??

The man is wrong, as a general rule plants don't adapt. We need to adapt the environment we provide them by modifying the living conditions to what they prefer as closely as we can to grow healthy good looking plants. A quick check of Canary Islands weather using the googles says you 're in the middle of the driest time of year with low 30's C daytime highs there and get hardly any rain at all July-August. so if you've got a good draining coarse soil mix just water daily. They've been dehydrating, they are literally dying of thirst.

The fronds that are currently damaged & browning aren't going to recover. They will only look worse as time goes by, but leave them on the plants till they fall off on their own. Yes I know they'll look really lousy near the end but just leave them. The palm pulls nutrients back out of the leaves and the old sheath around the crown shaft reduces transpiration. If you rip off the part of the old leaf protecting the crown shaft the plant can dry out easier. If you keep them well watered the new fronds that are spears now may look good which I believe is what Alex meant above.

• Like 1

Thanks for Great advice.  The man said, water the double palm, about 20 litres of water, until.it comes out on tray. Do that for all palms. Is he correct ??

28 minutes ago, Patrick Palms said:

Thanks for Great advice.  The man said, water the double palm, about 20 litres of water, until.it comes out on tray. Do that for all palms. Is he correct ??

In general, I would try and avoid using trays.  You don't want standing water as you see in your pot now.  Freely draining is better - again, generally speaking.

• Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

High heat and low humidity are a recipe for misery for any tropical palm not adapted to such conditions as this Asian forest palm definitely is not. You may have to accept that even if your Adonidias survive they will never look like the lush specimens in books and brochures.

I have to remind myself that while this species is maddenly weedy for me - we cut down inflorescences each summer - it is an equally maddening grow almost everywhere else.

Meg

Florida

Pretty sure they have the humidity just not rainfall in June, July, August, and Sept. plus it's pretty windy. Humidity's been 75%-100% since the thread popped up & I started checking weather there.

One other thing:

A. merrillii palms are two ticks (not one) more cold sensitive than Cocos nucifera. If coconut palms are true tropicals, then Christmas palms are uber tropical. 

I am "growing" two adonidias myself.  They were a triple at one time.  They survived this past winter.  However,  one spear pulled last month.  The survivors look very weathered. Nothing to write home about. (Nor to take pictures of)

I doubt they will survive this coming winter.  Coconuts (even the one in a pot) are doing nicely though.

Adonidias above 28 latitude, are gonners.

Im not going to invest any more time in adonidias. I learned my lesson.  Here again, they are 2 notches less cold hardy than cocos.

Edited by GottmitAlex
  • Like 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

My experience here in the Orlando area is that they are equally tender, or that Adonidia is just a hair hardier than Cocos.  I had always thought it was the opposite before the past 10 years or so.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Here in the Orlando area, the average annual low at the closest airport for the past 30 years is 32.4F (about 0C) and our coldest month, January, averages 49F/71F (9.4C/21.6C).  Our coldest temperature on record was 18F (-7.7C) in 1894, and 19F (-7.2C) a couple times during the twentieth century.  We haven't been below around 24F (-4.4C) in 30 years due to the ever-increasing urban heat island and we have only officially been below upper 20s F (-2.7C--1.1C) in one year (2010) since the year 2000.

• Like 1

I live 3 hours SW of Orlando. The lowest winter low I’ve ever seen was 28.5F (-2C) on Jan 11, 2010. In Cape Coral at least 50% of Adonidias were killed outright and the rest severely damaged. Surviving palms did not flower for the next 2 years.

This past winter our ultimate low was 41.3F (5.2C). My Adonidias received cosmetic leaf damage and always do when lows fall below 50F (10C).

• Like 1

Meg

Florida

Really?  This past winter, our ultimate low was 37F and the ones I see in Orlando looked like they had just wintered in Miami this year (spotless and dark green).  Yes, virtually all of our Adonidias (there were much fewer then) were killed by 2010, but they have cropped up everywhere since then, even larger specimens.  I think they were planted en-masse from 2011-onward and we haven't had it cold enough to kill most of them since in the city.  Maybe there is some genetic variation in hardiness or maybe young Adonidias are much more foliage tender (not surprising).  I seem to recall my young plants back in the day turning yellow, or getting those necrotic spots well above freezing too.

• Like 1

The most trouble I've had with these is moving them into full sun too quickly.  I haven't really had to worry much about over or underwatering them.

They have become a big seller at the big box stores around here.  There are always trucks leaving the Home Depot in North Lakeland with large Adonidias on the back.  They likely won't be around after the next "big one", but they are a staple in a few of the more tropical looking private gardens here.

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Here in Corralejo,  Fuerteventura,  Canary islands,  the winter low is 55f ,in mornings and mid night, but after 11am 60s f. Our zone is 12b but our problem is the winds..

My Adonidia is pushing a new spear, does it look ok to you? Just to me, seems a bit brown, most likely due to the wind.   Is it just me, just worrying too much ?

20190801_100909.jpg

That spear doesn’t look good 

you can see in my pic two new spears crossing each other the difference between yours. This is why I’ve wondered of root problems 

B25F5E5A-5D59-4862-B3E6-914E11B18390.jpeg

Isit because , when new spears appear, they geteffected by wind,? I have just put palm in bigger pot, so hopefully it will recover

We are in sub tropixal climate, zone 12b,  night time temp never under 15c, but constant winds..our terrace is on a north eadt , constand winds, especially night time. Not sure what else i can do

12b is a useless designation in your oceanic, mediterranean-type climate. Some people in Cali may be able to claim the same thing but Adonidias are almost impossible to grow well there. Or to grow at all.

Meg

Florida

Its 12b , higher than Florida, because it never goes under 15c, where Florida often does in winter. Some parts of florida had snow fall a year ago

12b in FL does not equate to 12b where you live. For tropical plant growing purposes the climates are too dissimilar. CA presents the same problem for the US created zone system. The reasons are many and complicated and involve the peculiar topography of mid-western and eastern US and it’s relationship to Arctic winter fronts and summer influences from the Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Meg

Florida

On 7/29/2019 at 3:44 PM, GottmitAlex said:

One other thing:

A. merrillii palms are two ticks (not one) more cold sensitive than Cocos nucifera. If coconut palms are true tropicals, then Christmas palms are uber tropical. 

I am "growing" two adonidias myself.  They were a triple at one time.  They survived this past winter.  However,  one spear pulled last month.  The survivors look very weathered. Nothing to write home about. (Nor to take pictures of)

I doubt they will survive this coming winter.  Coconuts (even the one in a pot) are doing nicely though.

Adonidias above 28 latitude, are gonners.

Im not going to invest any more time in adonidias. I learned my lesson.  Here again, they are 2 notches less cold hardy than cocos.

Scratch that. Only one left. Opening a new leaf:

The noticeable damage on the older leaves is from the past winter (which lasted from late Dec until late May). 

15649644619791196012351664948425.jpg