IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Ohio palms?

clevelandtropicsmaybe

I've done a lot of research and have gotten few promising results but does anyone think there are any species of palm trees that can survive in the ground in NE Ohio? If anyone in Ohio has seen or knows of any that are already planted or has any pictures, that would be very helpful.

I live in zone 6b because lake Erie is less than 1 mile away and warms up the cold air a little bit, but it can still stay below freezing with snow for long periods of time.

The 2 best options that I'm aware of so far are needle palm and sabal minor.

18 minutes ago, clevelandtropicsmaybe said:

The 2 best options that I'm aware of so far are needle palm and sabal minor.

You pretty much summed it up right there!  Other than that Trachycarpus with more elaborate winter protection.

I narrowed it down to those two but I'm just not sure if anyone in my area has actually had success growing them.

I used to think that trachycarpus would have a chance but the only protection I'm willing to provide is covering the palm without a heat source. I'm trying for as little protection as possible.

The needle and sabal minor will do ok once established.   These will be relatively small 'shrub' palms you realize.   You might be able to cover a trachy with a leaf cage unheated and grow it to 6' or so.  A trachy really needs a christmas light heat source on a thermocube where you are.  You will need a cover on a trachy from Mid Dec To March in your area.   There are other tropical plants that will do ok in your area as well such as Musa Basjoo.  Many tropicals I have will do ok in your zone with heavy winter mulch.  

Edited by Allen

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

If I got a trachycarpus then I would probably grow it in a pot. I think I might try the needle and a sabal minor if I can find them. I heard there was a needle somewhere near Cincinnati that gets no protection but survived for many years. I would probably mulch mine or give them a Styrofoam box until they got very established.

Btw I have a Musa Basjoo that came from a pup off a mature plant in Cleveland. I planted it about a month ago and its still pretty small but its growing fast. I might make a topic about it on the other tropicals forum sometime.

Sabal Minor and Needle palm are probably the only palms you could grow without a heat source. I'm in southern Ohio also zone 6b and I planted 2 Sabal Minor seedlings this spring so they haven't been tested yet, I will most likely just mulch them. I have 2 Trachycarpus that I overwinter using christmas lights and it can be a lot of work, especially now that ones getting really tall, I grow Sago palms using christmas lights as well. If you have Facebook there is a group called Zone-Pushers: Gardening Beyond Your Zone. There are several people on there that grow Sabal Minors and Needles with little to no protection in zone 6b. Musa Basjoo should grow really well for you, I have several and one of them is in bloom right now with lots of little bananas.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 9 months later...

I live in Cincinnati, I know of a few local established needle palms and one trachy that is only protected by a heat cable.