IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Another Canadian palm steal!

Rickybobby

Went to Lowe’s today to get some fish emulsion and low and behold in the middle of the nursery was this clump of adonidias for 35 bux!!! All the ladies there said it was doing well! Not doing welll a tad of sun burn l the new spears look great. What a deal. This is going to my parents trailer by the lake 

40EBF566-CF2F-438B-AD7E-B78EC446E3CB.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

And then I go to checkout and the lady says yeah that palm isn’t doing so well lol hilarious 

So strange, the only "indoor" palms I see at Lowes and HD here are majesty palms.  Took me two years to track down a Livistona chinensis but it was at a regular nursery.

1 hour ago, Chester B said:

So strange, the only "indoor" palms I see at Lowes and HD here are majesty palms.  Took me two years to track down a Livistona chinensis but it was at a regular nursery.

I was quite surprised to find awesome roebellinis there today. Slowly every year all the stores are bribing up more palms. The Florida nurseries must be making a liking 

Our local ones have nothing left but Majesty palms. Even when they had some others in the selection is always pretty pathetic. This area while having a good palm climate just doesn't have the support of people who enjoy them. Along the lake is a solid 8b but still hardly ever see anything but pindo's and sabal palmetto's Even trachy's aren't all that common. 

We get Trachys, meds and both types of washys outside, you'd think they'd bring in needle palms?  Lowes had two butias but they sold right away., and they usually sell pygymy dates.  Inside its pretty much majesty palms.

Most of the local nurseries carry Trachys and stock Monrovia grown Pindos and Meds.  Very rarely you might see something different like T. latisectus which aren't really hardy here.

On 6/25/2019 at 1:35 PM, RJ said:

Our local ones have nothing left but Majesty palms. Even when they had some others in the selection is always pretty pathetic. This area while having a good palm climate just doesn't have the support of people who enjoy them. Along the lake is a solid 8b but still hardly ever see anything but pindo's and sabal palmetto's Even trachy's aren't all that common. 

Heck, I’m in Orlando and I rarely see Sabal palmetto at the big box stores.  Go figure, as they are everywhere in the landscape on account of being native.

Edited by palmsOrl

There's a nursery near me that has a pretty big selection of palms, including trachys, bottles, bismarcks, roebeleniis, fishtails, and more.

The only problem is that none of the palms there are under $100!

A 5 foot trachy with 2 feet of trunk and in a 17 inch pot cost $300 and an adonidia that is just a little bigger than yours in a 17 inch pot cost $250!

My home depot had some really big queens and adonidias that were probably 9 feet tall or more and were only $60. They all sold in less than a week. (the adonidias at hd were even bigger than the ones at the nursery)

The plant you found was definitely a good find.

1 hour ago, clevelandtropicsmaybe said:

A 5 foot trachy with 2 feet of trunk and in a 17 inch pot cost $300 and an adonidia that is just a little bigger than yours in a 17 inch pot cost $250!

That's crazy expensive on the Adonidia, they are fast growing and dirt cheap down here.  I got a triple about 6' tall in the ground for $35.  Trachys I can at least understand, because they are very slow growing.  

I picked up a nice clustering Chamaerops Humilis/Cerifera/Argentea at HD on a "Special Buy" from Treetown USA.  It's 6' OA in the ground with 2' of trunk and a couple of nice offsets for $75.  It's hard to tell how blue it'll be, but it does have a nice white waxy coating on the underside of new fronds.  Wholesale around here is $100+ so it's a really nice find!

• Upvote 1

Chamaerops is a very cool palm, I like the leaves and the shape of the crown. The only time I've seen one up here was at the Cleveland botanical gardens, and it was pretty big (and not for sale). Definitely would be a palm I would buy and keep in a pot. Majestys are the only palms that are dirt cheap around here, some 6+ foot tall ones were less than $20. No one up here sells other palms for cheap, and only few sell them period.  :(

4 hours ago, Merlyn2220 said:

That's crazy expensive on the Adonidia, they are fast growing and dirt cheap down here.  I got a triple about 6' tall in the ground for $35.  Trachys I can at least understand, because they are very slow growing.  

I picked up a nice clustering Chamaerops Humilis/Cerifera/Argentea at HD on a "Special Buy" from Treetown USA.  It's 6' OA in the ground with 2' of trunk and a couple of nice offsets for $75.  It's hard to tell how blue it'll be, but it does have a nice white waxy coating on the underside of new fronds.  Wholesale around here is $100+ so it's a really nice find!

Up here 7g adonidia start at 100 and go up to 150 bux. That’s what I posted. It has come along way 

Looks like Adonidia could be a money-maker.... hmmm...

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

10 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

Looks like Adonidia could be a money-maker.... hmmm...

I've got a bumper crop of seed ripening and dropping right now on my two mature trees. Could really expand your ranch! Then send them to Rickybobby in a few years via the underground railroad for sale in Canada, you could make big profit!!!

Seriously though, if any of you wants some seeds PM me. I've been piling them up on a nearby table but I don't use them because I just dig up volunteers that sprout from the previous years seeds that I missed picking up. A lot of people here cut off the inflorescence's so they don't have a mess in the garden and seedling "weeds" the following year. I like watching the process so I let my trees go through their normal cycle but pick up the majority of the seeds daily. Last years seeds sprout at the same time current year drops if seeds are just left in garden mulch here, you could likely speed up germination with a heat mat but I've never bothered since I have the volunteers available with no work every year.

Took a pic of the flowers/seeds yesterday because I'm taking down one of the trees as soon as seed production is over.

20190621_175431_zpsek8pcn3y.jpg

Here’s its new home on west coast of Lake Erie. It’s 100 feet from the warm shallow waters and it gets a nice humid fresh water sea Breeze everyday 

CFDAA29E-1DC5-4E33-8863-7C138AB39AC0.jpeg

• Like 2