IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cold in Queensland

Cycadcenter

I can't wait for this winter to end...
That makes two of us!

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South

We got 13mm of rain overnight which was nice. The min was around 13C and we hit 21C today. I can't believe it. If winter was like this every year, I'd be happy. However nature has a way of mercilessly kicking you up the bum. I'm waiting for some cold sleet or something, but hoping it never comes.

regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

• 2 weeks later...

Only 6 C in Cairns the other nite , and it felt just as cold this morning .

Spotting on some things I know hate the cold [apart from me ]

Soursop is looking particularly stressed out .

Come on spring ... hurry up .

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Hey guys,

Unbelievable temps for northern oz.

While here ( 16 to 17 degrees S )we had our hotest June ever with many days above 30C. Some places reaching 34C. However humidity has dropped heaps since summer.

Crazy hey seeing as we are usually cooler than similar latitudes in oz because of being small islands and having near constant sea breezes.

What next ?

Located on Vanua Levu near Savusavu (16degrees South) Elevation from sealevel to 30meters with average annual rainfall of 2800mm (110in) with temperature from 18 to 34C (65 to 92F).

(The Palm Nut @ Jun. 26 2007,02:56)

Here in Port we have had lots of cold and wet weather for the last couple of weeks, certainly nothing that I can recall experiencing in the last 20years or so. Iam not a betting man but I bet that I will lose some of my more tropical palms this winter, kind of pisses you off abit!

Oh well thats what its all about when your pushing the limits.

Mike

Mike,

You only had to read the posts on the board in the last Northern winter to know that pushing the limits is going to come unstuck,  sooner or later,  to a greater or lesser extent.  It was obviously heart shattering for some with more exotic collections.

But theres go to be a challenge of some sort in gardening, otherwise we would all just plant grass.

In Melbourne where I live there are NO native palms,  but some L. australis do survive at the same latitude in East gippsland,  so really just about anything I try to grow is pushing the boundaries !

It strikes me that its a great shame Jubaeas were limited to just one small area.  What a monumental tree they are !  But note well,  in the 100 or more years they have been growing in Melbourne  [some 10 or so ] I dont think 1 has replicated itself  underneath a fruiting tree.

Best luck and may they all survive this winter.  

I have quite a few  C. tepejilotes from your seed and they are nearly at trunking stage now  now they are marginal in our area,  and spot a bit each year even under canopy!

chris.oz

Bayside Melbourne 38 deg S. Winter Minimum 0 C over past 6 years

Yippee, the drought is over.

I'm so surprised with the contrast west to east at the moment. I just flew back last night from two days in Brissie on a work trip and Perth was 19C on the tarmac at 11pm after a 23C day. The weather was beautiful though in Brissie with light winds, not a cloud virtually, but night actually felt cool. The winds up at Mt Cootha had a surprisingly cool edge to them. The coldest temp we've had so far this winter is 3.8C which is awesome for 32S. In a couple of weeks the temps should start to gradually turn up a bit higher. Come back spring. We need you again.

regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

I'll probably get ejected from this board for saying so, but winter is my favourite time of year. We get some stunning weather  here in winter- blue sky and bracing westerlies. This winter has been a bit miserable though; much cloudier than usual.

To me, hot weather is just oppressive- who wants to walk down the street with the sun beating down on you? The humid mornings are the worst, especially for wearing office clothes, with sweat tricking down my legs as soon as I walk anywhere.

Mind you, probably my fault for buying prickly trousers.

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Frost-free within 20 km of coast

(wrigphi @ Jul. 13 2007,10:00)

I'll probably get ejected from this board for saying so, but winter is my favourite time of year. We get some stunning weather  here in winter- blue sky and bracing westerlies. This winter has been a bit miserable though; much cloudier than usual.

To me, hot weather is just oppressive- who wants to walk down the street with the sun beating down on you? The humid mornings are the worst, especially for wearing office clothes, with sweat tricking down my legs as soon as I walk anywhere.

Yeah, but the beach is better in summer don't you think. I love warm summer nights for the barbeques and putting the reticulation on and getting everything wet and humid in the garden, hearing the frogs sing. Summers only uncomfortable if you have to work in it. Give me a stormy humid summer any day.

regards

Tyrone

(wrigphi @ Jul. 14 2007,00:00)

??????????????

Ejected.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

If it's down to 11 degrees in Cairns, what will happen to the lipstick palms ? Mike and anyone else from up that way care to comment ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Wal , the low is for such a short time its only spotting the leaves on the ones around at Mission Beach . It barely got to 20c all day today , and I did not want to get out from under my doona this morning . BRRRRRRRRRRRRR

It was 3.3 in Bundy at 7:00 am this morning so it would be cooler in Childers.  Guess it beats -10 in Fallbrook last winter.  

Actually I'm currently at our house in Phoenix where it is a pleasant 45 C

Bruce

Now living the life in Childers, Queensland.

(Cycadcenter @ Jul. 14 2007,17:46)

It was 3.3 in Bundy at 7:00 am this morning so it would be cooler in Childers.  Guess it beats -10 in Fallbrook last winter.  

Actually I'm currently at our house in Phoenix where it is a pleasant 45 C

Bruce

45 C pleasant , you must have asbestos as skin bruce

thats damn hot ..

You're right Michael,  it's bloody hot. at midnight last night it was still 38 C.

I just went out and checked the water temp in the pool and it was 33 C.  

Regards

Bruce

It is intersting that the southern hemisphere seems to be pretty cold this year.  There was snow in Buenos Aires and the coldest in 80 years or so.  I was over in the southwest Amazonian city of Rio Branco, Acre and Pando province in Boliva this week.  When I got to Rio Branco on Thursday morining the temperature was 16 C.  In the neighboring state of Rondonia the temperatures got below 8 C overnight.  The forescast is for at least three more cold fronts to come through in the coming weeks.  From what I can tell they skirt along the Andes mountains over the soutwestern Amazon.  Here in Manaus we are lucky if the very tail ends make it here.  At least they generate some dry season rain which is always nice.  Evidently La Nina has established itself.  Is there much of a relationship here?

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Brisbane Forecasts (Yuck!)

Tuesday Fine. Light to moderate SW to W winds and an afternoon E'ly sea breeze. Min  7    Max 19

Wednesday     Dry, cool brisk winds.   Min  6    Max 18

Thursday      Dry, chilly, brisk winds.    Min  8    Max 17

Friday        Fine, cool.                           Min  8    Max 19

Saturday      Fine                                 Min  9    Max 19

Sunday        Mostly fine                        Min  9    Max 20

Monday        Shower or two.                Min 10    Max 19

Come on Monday !!

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

COLD IN SYDNEY TOO

Sydneysiders woke up to their coldest July morning in 21 years today, when the thermometer dipped to 3.7 degrees.

The minimum temperature was reached at 6.54am today and beat by one degree a July record set just yesterday.

"We had high pressure sitting over the state so, with a clear sky and very little wind, here it comes, the lowest temperature," senior meteorologist at the Bureau of Meteorology, Peter Zmijewski, said.

The temperature is the lowest recorded at Sydney's Observatory Hill since July 27, 1986, when the mercury plunged to 3.1 degrees.

There is no chance of snow falling in the city but the Blue Mountains may soon be dusted in white.

"It is possible we will get snow in the Blue Mountains above an elevation of 600 metres tomorrow," Mr Zmijewski said.

Early risers wrote into smh.com.au about frost-covered gardens in Hornsby Heights, rowing in Balmain on water like a millpond and running on ovals of crunchy grass.

One reader, Tania Liebenow, knew the morning would be cruel when her cattle dog wanted to stay in.

"You know it's cold when your Australian cattle dog is whining for you to dress her in her hooded fleece doggie jumper and refuses to go outside in the morning," she said.

The cold snap came as about 3000 homes lost power in North Sydney, Cammeray, Eastwood, Epping and Hornsby after an underground cable fault caused a blackout.

Some homes went without heat and light for more than six hours.

The RTA's Traffic Management Centre said traffic lights in Cammeray, Crows Nest, Naremburn and Eastwood were out between 7pm and 8.30pm.

AAP reports: West of the city, the mercury was much lower, at minus 3.7 degrees in Richmond, but did not come close to breaking any records.

Despite the icy low this morning, forecasts suggest a pleasant day with tops of 16 degrees in the city.

As winds pick up, tonight is expected to be milder than last night, with a warmer morning tomorrow but a colder day later.

The bureau has forecast snow and sleet today for the Southern and Central Tablelands (including the Blue Mountains) above 500 metres.

Blizzards are also expected over much of the NSW snowfields this afternoon.

Bangalow palms seem to grow in the western suburbs such as Liverpool without any problem. I've often wondered how close they are to the limit there. It seems to get down to -2c most winters, and -3c on days such as today, but not colder (as far as I know)

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Frost-free within 20 km of coast

Statistically the next couple of weeks are the coolest for Perth. Here's the forecast.

Wed      Fine min 6 max 23

Thur      rain developing, storm risk min 10 max 19

Fri         Morning shower then fine min 11 max 20

Sat        Windy showers min 12 max 19

Sun       Few showers min 10 max 18

Mon       Few showers min 9 max 18

Tue        Becoming fine min 5 max 17

Tuesday looks to be a bit of a yuck day. But as their is nothing too close to 0C I can't complain. Also a bit of rain is in their too which is good. Once August comes I'll be happy, although we're not out of the woods then either.

regards

Tyrone

I feel good about being here !!!!!!!!!! :D

Everything is still pushing new leaves, days are sunny and nights are cool enough for a cover but windows are still wide open.  :cool:

Located on Vanua Levu near Savusavu (16degrees South) Elevation from sealevel to 30meters with average annual rainfall of 2800mm (110in) with temperature from 18 to 34C (65 to 92F).

Hmmm

think i should be in warm queensland

we have had multible record lows, many gales as well

nights constantly around 5c warming up to 11c -13c for about an hour during the day, had to believe really, soon we will wake up and realise the bad dream is over

regards

colin

coastal north facing location

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia