IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Germination Tips!? Joey palm

Makaisland Palms

Has anyone got any tips for germinating Joey palm seeds? (Johannesteijsmannia altifrons specifically).  Standard baggie method?  In a community pot? If so, buried how deep, and is there a top or bottom to the seed I should aim in one direction?  I searched quite a bit and couldn't seem to find anyone mentioning much about this, at least step by step.  If I've missed a useful thread somewhere else please point me in the right direction, thanks!    

For Joeys I would use a pot vs baggie because they are so root sensitive I fear jostling them around in a bag might be fatal to new roots. If you have only a few seeds consider giving each its own 10 cm tall pot. Make the soil mix loose and well draining. Keep the pots in a very warm and humid place. When green leaves appear move seedlings to a well lit, warm, humid place (no sun). Don't overwater - soil should be moist, not soggy. When time comes to up-pot them, cut the old pot off rather than disturb the roots, then move rootball to its new plastic pot. Better to sacrifice a pot than lose your palm

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Perfect!  Exactly what I was looking for!  Now, here goes nothing!

Alrighty, all nestled in their warm beds of Coco coir, vermiculite, seramis and perlite.  Temp in the green house is between 25 and 35 degrees Celsius.  Covered in plastic for humidity.  I expect perfect germination and chin height by end of August!! 

IMG_20190617_104856-01.jpeg

Edited by Makaisland Palms
Spelling
  • Like 1

I wasn't sure about a top or bottom for the seeds, so I kind of shoved them in on an angle to split the difference.  And only halfway buried.  Fingers crossed now!

Good job covering them in plastic for humidity. I don't know that I've ever seen a seedling Joey palm, only larger ones. Please share pics of the newborns when they arrive!! 

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

• 3 months later...
On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 6:16 AM, Makaisland Palms said:

Alrighty, all nestled in their warm beds of Coco coir, vermiculite, seramis and perlite.  Temp in the green house is between 25 and 35 degrees Celsius.  Covered in plastic for humidity.  I expect perfect germination and chin height by end of August!! 

So its Otctober now any updates ?

T J 

Oof, too painful to say.   I had one successful germination, it was sending down a nice long tap root, about 5 inches at the time, and then my sweet innocent little 2 year old daughter found it and pulled it up out of the pot.   Which funny enough, might not have actually killed it.  But her ramming it back down into the soil definitely did.

I now have a second one successfully germinated, and being kept way out of reach, but nothing has popped out above ground yet.   Warm weather is over though, so hopefully it still keeps going while inside the only partially heated greenhouse.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Makaisland Palms said:

Oof, too painful to say.   I had one successful germination, it was sending down a nice long tap root, about 5 inches at the time, and then my sweet innocent little 2 year old daughter found it and pulled it up out of the pot.   Which funny enough, might not have actually killed it.  But her ramming it back down into the soil definitely did.

That definitely sucks to hear and a lesson for you I'm sure haha

I totally know that feeling , luckily it wasn't any palm seedlings my 3 y/o daughter has pulled out. I heard my daughter saying look dad weeds haha as she had pulled a bunch of purple bell pepper seedlings out of some trays she could reach =/ She does help pull weeds out of the garden beds on occasion so I couldn't get mad at her lol

T J 

That is a sad story.  I used a large baggie and a heated germination box.  I got 3 of 3 to germinate. When the root started pushing the limits of the baggie, I carefully took the seeds out and transferred each one to a separate tall tree pot.  All are doing well.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, jimmyt said:

That is a sad story.  I used a large baggie and a heated germination box.  I got 3 of 3 to germinate. When the root started pushing the limits of the baggie, I carefully took the seeds out and transferred each one to a separate tall tree pot.  All are doing well.

pics please !!

T J 

Alright I took a pic this am with my fancy hand-held phone camera device.  Technology.  It has an old-timey flash too!

The 2 in the back are the Joeys. There is another one not in the pic that is smaller and is the runt.  So far so ok.  The blonde strip on the left one was a birth defect, and not sunburn.  The strip has slowly gotten smaller and greener.  The blonde strip has not affected growth.  The one just to the front right in the picture is a Coccothrinax miraguama, I think.Joeys.thumb.jpg.9ebf46c93234c9f3309fd94a9b01599d.jpg

• Like 5

• 4 months later...

I am receiving 2 geminated silver joey seeds with the petiole grown around 4-5 inch. Now should I keep them in the ziplock bag and just the seed inside with no moisture?  and in the germinator box or should I plant them already in a pot? Not sure what to do and I want to do it right. Don't want to mess this up. Its impossible to find those seeds. Hope they arrive alive. Any opinions are welcome.

Also do you guys have any updates on yours? Pics would be awesome.

On 10/6/2019 at 6:04 PM, Makaisland Palms said:

I now have a second one successfully germinated, and being kept way out of reach, but nothing has popped out above ground yet.   Warm weather is over though, so hopefully it still keeps going while inside the only partially heated greenhouse.

Any updates on the other ones ? pls post pics

I kept mine in the baggie until big enough to bet potted.  The baggie is the only way I could basically control the temperature down to the degree. If you live in an environment with steady warm temps then potting them up would be ok.  You can control everything in a germinator box.  It will keep the kids, rodents, dogs, and cats out too!

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, jimmyt said:

I kept mine in the baggie until big enough to bet potted.  The baggie is the only way I could basically control the temperature down to the degree. If you live in an environment with steady warm temps then potting them up would be ok.  You can control everything in a germinator box.  It will keep the kids, rodents, dogs, and cats out too!

Are those big enough to be potted? or they need to be ready to spike?

C2BB27B1-DF65-4082-9E0D-B788E584CA74.thumb.png.42e12ba8addcda1b7a3361bb5bee0356.png

My lone survivor is doing quite well, very happy with it so far.  I panicked with everyone saying how much these hate to be transplanted so I cut the bottom out of the original container and stacked it on a second container full of potting mix before the roots got too deep. Twice the depth for the roots to work with now, and without any transplant shock.    Some day when it's outgrown this size I'll figure out how to get to the next size (maybe stack a third container?! Hehe).  You know it's going to be a beautiful palm when even the first strap leaf is a looker!

IMG_20200221_150443.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, JANAIY said:

Are those big enough to be potted? or they need to be ready to spike?

C2BB27B1-DF65-4082-9E0D-B788E584CA74.thumb.png.42e12ba8addcda1b7a3361bb5bee0356.png

I would wait like Pal Meir said in the other post "As Johannesteijsmannia seedlings seem to grow a quite long seed-petiole I would wait with potting until they have produced a cotyledon (plumule) with radicle. Let them grow first inside a plastic bag (or so) where you can observe the growing process. Good luck!"  I think this would improve your/my outcomes with these seeds.

On 2/21/2020 at 9:25 AM, Makaisland Palms said:

My lone survivor is doing quite well, very happy with it so far.  I panicked with everyone saying how much these hate to be transplanted so I cut the bottom out of the original container and stacked it on a second container full of potting mix before the roots got too deep. Twice the depth for the roots to work with now, and without any transplant shock.    Some day when it's outgrown this size I'll figure out how to get to the next size (maybe stack a third container?! Hehe).  You know it's going to be a beautiful palm when even the first strap leaf is a looker!

IMG_20200221_150443.jpg

Looks beautiful and very healthy, keep updating! 

Thanks! definitely happy about it thriving, especially after losing my only two licuala sumowongii, and Phoenicophorium borsigianum seedlings.  I'm a sucker for these big leaf palms!

• 2 months later...

I'd send an update picture, but it doesn't really look any different.   The first leaf is still in mint condition, probably a little bit bigger now, but otherwise nothing else to report.   @jimmyt how are yours looking,  how long until the second leaf starts coming out?

• 1 month later...

Hi, i have 1 joey palm seed and its still in its outer husk. Do i have to remove it and how? Before planting...it looks all rough outside and not smooth like in the pictures here...

Thanks

Michael

• 10 months later...

I just cut into the top of the spiky shell with a pair of secateurs and then managed to peel the shell off reasonably easily, yielding a smooth oval seed about an inch across.

• 2 weeks later...

On 2/21/2020 at 3:25 PM, Makaisland Palms said:

IMG_20200221_150443.jpg

Update on mine.  It got to the point of having two nice leaves, but a long winter of just sort of surviving, and it seemed to stall completely.  Now it has unfortunately suffered a full spear pull.  Has anyone had one survive a spear pull at such a young age?  Any chances of miraculous revival, or is it just living out its life now on its one and only leaf?   Either way, I think this palm is doable, so i will try again when I can get another round of seeds!

• 2 months later...

Hi guys, so glad i found this thread. Still a newbie at gardening, but I found three large joey palms at my dad's place. Fell in love with them and would like to grow more of them. Cant find any seeds online that is in stock at the moment. Was wondering if anyone knows how to collect the seeds from the existing plants? Thanks!

• 8 months later...
On 8/3/2021 at 7:24 AM, SandraMalik said:

Hi guys, so glad i found this thread. Still a newbie at gardening, but I found three large joey palms at my dad's place. Fell in love with them and would like to grow more of them. Cant find any seeds online that is in stock at the moment. Was wondering if anyone knows how to collect the seeds from the existing plants? Thanks!

I know this is late, but given what I've read it seems that as long as the fruit can reach maturity, it should be easy to collect. RPS is the only site I found them on, but of 100 J. parakensis and 100 J. magnifica, over 20 seeds of each arrived either molded or with the seed cracked. RPS also didn't ship them correctly (incorrectly labeled, didn't ship to USDA PIS, shipped in wet vermiculite, etc) so I'm lucky I didn't get a Emergency Action Notice from the USDA about that. At a combined total cost of $1100, I'm hoping I can get a good bunch germinated to recoup the costs, and can't imagine what ordering less would be like given the damage rate.

I'm also collecting data to figure out a "best" set of conditions to germinate them under. Right now, it's just temp and humidity controlling.

• 5 weeks later...

I have had good luck with small orders of 5 each J. magnifica and J. perakensis.

Only one floater out of the 10 and so far 6 have germinated in sphagnum moss. No deaths so far from moving very carefully to tall pots before any leaves and maintaining high humidity with moss on top and a plastic dome. 

First leaf looks good on some so fingers crossed.

• Like 1

Cindy Adair

• 11 months later...

Nice thread here.
Here is one of my three Joeys ( Johannesteijsmannia altifrons ).
They are some 15 months old. They seem to be perfect house plants. No extra humidfier over winter indoors.
I ordered 10 seeds from RPS. Three germinated and grew.

37788247_Bildschirmfoto2023-05-10um07_11_56.thumb.png.24af7b822770d4198762cc337ced8419.png1824278965_Bildschirmfoto2023-05-10um07_11_13.thumb.png.d876f076b138309f20e8ff76d282d3bc.png

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1