IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Queen palm paradise in NW Florida

Estlander

There's a restaurant in Fort Walton Beach on Okaloosa Island that has well over hundred Queens on it's premises and around it, with plenty more set aside waiting to be planted.  Have been hearing about this place for years but haven't got around to checking it out until today. Queens are not exactly lining the streets around these parts, so needless to say I absolutely enjoyed being among those beauties.  Gonna be interesting to see how they will do in the winters to come.

IMG_0733.JPG

IMG_0735.JPG

IMG_0736.JPG

IMG_0737.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hopefully they treat them right and water them well to get them established all summer so they don't look like crap. Hopefully their proximity to the water helps them a lot in the winter! I heard the panhandle can get hit hard. 

PalmTreeDude

55 minutes ago, PalmTreeDude said:

Hopefully they treat them right and water them well to get them established all summer so they don't look like crap. Hopefully their proximity to the water helps them a lot in the winter! I heard the panhandle can get hit hard. 

I hope so too. Planted in sand or very sandy soil with no mulch around them, they probably need a lot of fertilizer. 

Many of those Queens have been there for years, but apparently they’ve been planting more and more, and are still planting as they had quite a few set aside still waiting to be planted.  Work in progress, so to speak.

I wonder if the owner of that place is a palm fanatic like us here, lol.  I mean you pretty much have to be to do something like this.

Inland panhandle (8B) gets hit hard sometimes, but the coast is 9A and stays considerably warmer. 

The winter of 2017-18 wasn’t that bad in the coastal areas. The lowest it got on the coast during the coldest night was somewhere between 22-23F.  Queens here had no damage, while they suffered major damage and death in Houston 9A and New Orleans 9B where it got down to 19F. 

Edited by Estlander

2 hours ago, Estlander said:

The winter of 2017-18 wasn’t that bad in the coastal areas. The lowest it got on the coast during the coldest night was somewhere between 22-23F.  Queens here had no damage, while they suffered major damage and death in Houston 9A and New Orleans 9B where it got down to 19F. 

The eastern Gulf was not hit as hard by the 2017-18 winter.  A good chunk of Houston (core urban area and most parts south of I-10) is about the same as New Orleans. Avg absolute minimum at Hobby Airport for 1990-2018 is 28F. 

When you say queens aren't common in the area, is it because of cold? Do you have pre-2010 queens? How cold did it get in 2010? There was some death in Houston from the 17-18 winter but there still plenty of large queens here that were planted in the 2000s.  At the coast (Galveston), a few royals and at least one foxtail managed to squeak by.

Edited by Xenon

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

9 hours ago, Xenon said:

The eastern Gulf was not hit as hard by the 2017-18 winter.  A good chunk of Houston (core urban area and most parts south of I-10) is about the same as New Orleans. Avg absolute minimum at Hobby Airport for 1990-2018 is 28F. 

When you say queens aren't common in the area, is it because of cold? Do you have pre-2010 queens? How cold did it get in 2010? There was some death in Houston from the 17-18 winter but there still plenty of large queens here that were planted in the 2000s.  At the coast (Galveston), a few royals and at least one foxtail managed to squeak by.

I live in one of the coldest parts of the Houston area towards Katy and even in my area most of the queens survived. They looked dead for about six months but most of them look okay now. 

12 hours ago, Xenon said:

The eastern Gulf was not hit as hard by the 2017-18 winter.  

When you say queens aren't common in the area, is it because of cold? Do you have pre-2010 queens? How cold did it get in 2010?

Eastern Gulf, as in Florida 8B areas, were actually hit pretty hard too. In the winter of 2017/18 inland panhandle saw lows between 18-20F. And Charleston SC, which is partly 9A, went as low as 14-16F. 

There are Queens here, but they’re in people’s yards, around housing complexes, retirement complexes, mini golf courses, etc.  But there are no Queens planted by the city or county as street plantings etc. 

Yes,  there are pre 2010 Queens as well. There’s actually one 100 yards from my house. It’s on Google maps images from 2007. It’s has an absolutely massive crown now. As far as i can recall it suffered no damage after 2010 or 2014 winters. 

Winter 2010 was a bad one not because of the ultimate lows here,  but because of the duration of the cold and the number of nights in the 20’s. The lowest it got here was in the 20-21F range. 

And most amazingly there’s one in central Fort Walton Beach (warm 8B) miles away from the beach, which was planted around 2009/10. And it’s still there. It does have some trunk damage, probably from the 2014 winter, but it’s alive. I took a picture of it yesterday where you can see the trunk damage. 

DA599A3D-C9E2-471D-B3C9-20C9A5E9FD64.jpeg

Edited by Estlander

3 hours ago, Jeff985 said:

I live in one of the coldest parts of the Houston area towards Katy and even in my area most of the queens survived. They looked dead for about six months but most of them look okay now. 

That’s certainly good to hear should we ever  get below 20F here. 

Very nice. We dropped to 16F in that nasty Jan 2018 freeze. Both my Uruguay queens & a unknown queen had spear pull, but all three recovered very quickly.