IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Winter down under

cbmnz

2 hours ago, cbmnz said:

Looks like a deeper low coming your way Monday/Tuesday.  Hope it does not bring too much rain. We getting one about same depth at similar time, lucky looks like won't affect me much, just some wind which at this time of the year at least keeps the nights above 0C..

Yes, if we don’t get stuck under another highly energetic thunderstorm I’m hoping we will be OK. The current computer models do predict strong rain and winds for me but nowhere near the rates of rainfall when it first crosses the coast near Perth and Busselton. I’m expecting to see flooding and carnage through that area on Monday. Hopefully we should escape being on the news again. 

Im just hoping with a break in the rain today that we can clear a bit of the standing water before the next week of rain comes through. We are averaging about 7mm a day so by the end of the month we should see another 140mm in the rain guage. I have no idea when I will be able to mow again. No frost though and pretty much everything is loving this weather. My Rhopalostylis are growing like mad. 

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Well the tally is up to 130mm for the month and 755mm for the year. Got a few days of almost rain free weather but very light falls thankfully. But the main concern is next Wed 21st, Friday the 23rd, and Monday the 26th. The first two rain events are of tropical origin that are predicted to combine with cold fronts and will have heavy rain. The Monday event is just a cold front but there is a lot of red in the predicted fall rate which is concerning. Could get up to another 60mm in all of that but if you get underneath a localised thunderstorm it could be much higher. I just wish things would just dry out a bit but that ain’t gonna happen for ages at this rate.

We had really strong winds here on Thursday that toppled a Brachychiton acerifolius that I planted in 2014. It just snapped the tap root. Going to have a look at maybe moving it somewhere sheltered and stake it and see if it takes again. It’s about 4m and was just starting to take off too.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

I’m so sick of the rain. Somebody make it stop. :badday:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tyrone said:

I’m so sick of the rain. Somebody make it stop. :badday:

It's amazing, Perth has had 18 days in a row where it has rained and there's more to come! It's the wettest July in 20 years, the monthly average for this month is 146mm and we've already recorded over 189mm with another 19 days of July to go.

• Upvote 1

I'm so sick of no rain, blue skies and 33c temps. Oh well, only another 71 days until it rains......:D

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sandgroper said:

It's amazing, Perth has had 18 days in a row where it has rained and there's more to come! It's the wettest July in 20 years, the monthly average for this month is 146mm and we've already recorded over 189mm with another 19 days of July to go.

I hope there’s not another 19 days to July. Totally over July.

We haven’t had as much as Perth for July but we’ve had over 140mm so we’ve now exceeded the July average. But we exceeded the average for April, tripled the average for May, exceeded the June average by about 50% so I suppose we may be average for August, which is still about 120mm by memory. I reckon we will have hit 1000mm somewhere in September at this rate, and it normally is cool and rainy right up to December probably near Xmas, so who knows where this year will end rainfall wise. 

ABC Darwin 

· 
 Did you shiver through the night in Darwin?
The temperature plummeted to 17.5°C at 4am - the coldest morning of the year according to Bureau of Meteorology 
Earlier, in June, we survived a couple of 17.8°C mornings, which pushed many hardened Territorians to the brink.
The good news is, we will defrost, with a sunny 32°C day ahead.

200718216_10159595359969873_3552218330520990873_n.png

• Like 1

Seems strange for most Aussies to think of July as a severe fire danger month, however up in the Top End we are now entering our dangerous bushfire risk time of the year. With rain stopping at the end of April, there has been 2 and a half months of drying and curing of the bush. And both June and July have seen well above average temps this year. From about now until the breaking of the first build up rains, the local Bushfire Brigades have to put in some big days protecting lives and property in the Darwin rural suburbs.
Of huge concern in recent years is the rapid spread of introduced pasture grasses into the local environment. Gamba grass and mission grass cures earlier than the natural grasses, the wildfires burn hotter and are near impossible to contain in strong gusty south easterlies as we experienced yesterday.
Photos by local weather enthusiast Damon Wagland.
Water bombers brought in to assist.
VFHuvZU.jpg
sWlVeHv.jpg
hPEh4nM.jpg
vSkdPDq.jpg
brpJzPP.jpg
psMnWVH.jpg
Q5qQMzN.jpg
ZYFrn0h.jpg
wezxwmB.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Got another 10 days of rain forecast. Some heavy stuff today and potentially very heavy on Monday night. Have dug more drains around the place so hopefully we can hold everything back from flooding, 

Could be a few heat records for July set today accross the base of the Top End and Kimberleys. If the 37.7c at VRD is confirmed, they'll have exceeded the previous July max by 1.2c !
Daly Waters is also a contender for a new July max. - 36c

Capture.JPG hot.JPG

• Upvote 1

On 7/22/2021 at 3:05 PM, greysrigging said:

Seems strange for most Aussies to think of July as a severe fire danger month, however up in the Top End we are now entering our dangerous bushfire risk time of the year. With rain stopping at the end of April, there has been 2 and a half months of drying and curing of the bush. And both June and July have seen well above average temps this year. From about now until the breaking of the first build up rains, the local Bushfire Brigades have to put in some big days protecting lives and property in the Darwin rural suburbs.
Of huge concern in recent years is the rapid spread of introduced pasture grasses into the local environment. Gamba grass and mission grass cures earlier than the natural grasses, the wildfires burn hotter and are near impossible to contain in strong gusty south easterlies as we experienced yesterday.
Photos by local weather enthusiast Damon Wagland.
Water bombers brought in to assist.

Mission Grass (Pennisetum) cures later than Spear Grass (Sorghum intrans), Gamba Grass (Andropogon) cures later still. Early season control burns don't take out the Gamba Grass, it's too green. Stays there until well into the dry season before it cures and burns. That's the worst time to have fire.

Some record and near record heat accross the Top End yesterday, including Middle Point ( Darwin's Rural Area ), Batchelor, Tindal ( Katherine ). Kalumburu over on the north Kimberley coast cracked the old 100f mark with 38.1c, just 0.2c shy of the Australian July max temp record, which they also hold.
very large diurnals as well, cool/cold night and record heat not that common in the deep North.

Capture.JPG Batchelor.JPG

Capture.JPG Daly Waters.JPG

Capture.JPG July 2021.JPG

Capture.JPG Kalumburu.JPG

Capture.JPG Middle point.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Perth is only around 20mm short of its wettest July ever recorded and it looks as though we'll get there. The rainfall has been incredible, usually we get lots of rain in July but also plenty of bright sunny winter days but not this winter. It'll be interesting to see how August pans out, it's great for the dams and the cockies.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, sandgroper said:

Perth is only around 20mm short of its wettest July ever recorded and it looks as though we'll get there. The rainfall has been incredible, usually we get lots of rain in July but also plenty of bright sunny winter days but not this winter. It'll be interesting to see how August pans out, it's great for the dams and the cockies.

Haha, the times I've flown in and out of Perth in winter, irs always raining ( well I suppose as you would expect from a Med climate ).

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, greysrigging said:

Haha, the times I've flown in and out of Perth in winter, irs always raining ( well I suppose as you would expect from a Med climate ).

Still usually plenty of sunny days in winter, not especially warm but bright and sunny. Happy to take the rain though, not often I complain about that stuff.

3 hours ago, sandgroper said:

Still usually plenty of sunny days in winter, not especially warm but bright and sunny. Happy to take the rain though, not often I complain about that stuff.

Agree, Perth can be wet but normally the clouds clear and the sun comes out. It doesn’t stay constantly gloomy. Albany on the other hand.....

Weve gone past 800mm for the year. We’ve had over 600mm since May 3rd. 

I think the farmers don’t need any more rain now. The flash flooding out near Wagin to Dumbleyung has left people missing too. With already saturated ground any more heavy rain will create worse flooding. 

• Like 1

5.30am here and we're getting heavy rain again, it started during the night. 

They found a 4wd almost fully submerged in the Murray River near Waroona with no sign of the driver, hopefully he got out. Doesn't sound too good for the bloke from Katanning either, apparently he isn't a strong swimmer and they haven't found him yet either.

Rain and strong winds are just about to kick in again down here.

I hope the missing people turn up alive and well. The trouble with flooded roads is it’s amazing how little it takes to wash a car away. You could enter a flooded area thinking it’s an enlarged puddle when in reality you’ve entered a flash flood that wasn’t there a minute ago. If the water has momentum and isn’t a standing puddle of water, even a heavy 4wd is pretty much doomed. Once off the tarmac the water takes you where it wants. Still you hear of people in small cars thinking they can aquaplane across 500m of flooded road at 80kmh. Not worth trying. 

• Like 1

5.2c was the coldest for several years at Observatory Hill last Thursday morning, followed by 25.4c yesterday, only one degree off the July record. Crazy!

• Upvote 1

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Frost-free within 20 km of coast

A large swathe of Northern and Central Australia have set or will set new max temp heat records for July. See list below.
Kununurra, WA ( record 35.5c ) Forecast last 3 days of July - 37c, 37c, 37c.
Wyndham, WA ( 37.2c ) - 37c, 37c, 36c.
Jabiru, NT ( 36.2c ) - 37c, 37c, 37c.
Humpty Doo, NT ( 36.1c ) - 36c, 36c, 36c.
Katherine, NT ( 35.8c ) - 36c, 36c, 36c.
V R D, NT ( 36.5c ) - 36c, 36c, 37c.
Lajamanu, NT ( 34.7c ) - 35c, 35c, 35c.
Wave Hill, NT ( 36.0c ) - 36c, 36c, 37c.
Tennant Creek, NT ( 34.7c ) - 34c, 35c, 35c.
Alice Springs, NT ( 31.6c ) - 30c, 32c, 33c.
Birdsville, QLD ( 32.9c ) - 26c, 34c, 34c.
Tiboorburra, NSW ( 29.8c ) - 19c, 27c, 30c.
Bourke, NSW ( 29.2c ) - 19c, 22c, 31c.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Tyrone said:

Rain and strong winds are just about to kick in again down here.

I hope the missing people turn up alive and well. The trouble with flooded roads is it’s amazing how little it takes to wash a car away. You could enter a flooded area thinking it’s an enlarged puddle when in reality you’ve entered a flash flood that wasn’t there a minute ago. If the water has momentum and isn’t a standing puddle of water, even a heavy 4wd is pretty much doomed. Once off the tarmac the water takes you where it wants. Still you hear of people in small cars thinking they can aquaplane across 500m of flooded road at 80kmh. Not worth trying. 

The rule of thumb in the Top End for driving flooded crossings is if you can walk it without being swept off your feet, well its likely drivable in a large heavyish 4WD. I'm pretty wary myself ( walking the crossings that is...Crocs haha ) In any case standing water and little or no currant, about 1m deep is my limit.
Last 'Wet' out on the Daly Road. ( caution, some bad language )

6 hours ago, greysrigging said:

The rule of thumb in the Top End for driving flooded crossings is if you can walk it without being swept off your feet, well its likely drivable in a large heavyish 4WD. I'm pretty wary myself ( walking the crossings that is...Crocs haha ) In any case standing water and little or no currant, about 1m deep is my limit.
Last 'Wet' out on the Daly Road. ( caution, some bad language )

At least he had a boat. You could change your method of transportation if it all went south. Lol

• Like 1

It looks like Jandakot has passed 300mm for July and Bickley has had a whopping 448mm for July. Bickley Brook must be raging. 

Down here on the south coast is miserable and it’s around 9C with rain and the occasional hail. We are at about 190mm for July now.

Had a good run of 16 days since last  frost,  some of the damage from first half of month frosts took a while to show. One leaf on  Alexandae has deteriorated. It  might be Alexandae is a stretch too far here, but will see what it  does over summer. Cunninghama looks better just some bronzing that did not show for a week. Everything else looks great.

20210731_094952.jpg

20210731_094759.jpg

2 hours ago, cbmnz said:

Had a good run of 16 days since last  frost,  some of the damage from first half of month frosts took a while to show. One leaf on  Alexandae has deteriorated. It  might be Alexandae is a stretch too far here, but will see what it  does over summer. Cunninghama looks better just some bronzing that did not show for a week. Everything else looks great.

20210731_094952.jpg

20210731_094759.jpg

Archontophoenix are fast recoverers, but even here I find cunninghamiana faster to grow due to less of a need for heat and warmth. Plus they’re just a tinge hardier than cunninghamiana. Hopefully you get no more frost this year and give it a few months and they will have stacked on new growth. It may be harder to get alexandrae to establish but every year they grow they get stronger. Definitely worth a serious try. 

Incredible amount of rain around here, I'm not sure whether Perth passed the all time July record but if not it must have been close. There is water everywhere. They've been talking about cancelling the Avon Decent because they don't think there is enough room for the boats to pass underneath the bridges over the river! A big contrast to all those years where you've seen teams carrying boats over rocks and logs because there's not enough water to float over them.

4 hours ago, sandgroper said:

Incredible amount of rain around here, I'm not sure whether Perth passed the all time July record but if not it must have been close. There is water everywhere. They've been talking about cancelling the Avon Decent because they don't think there is enough room for the boats to pass underneath the bridges over the river! A big contrast to all those years where you've seen teams carrying boats over rocks and logs because there's not enough water to float over them.

I was talking to my sister in Perth about the Avon descent and was joking that they won’t fit under the bridges but I didn’t know that was actually the case.

I’m totally sick of rain. One of my small Beccariophoenix alfredii has developed an adverse reaction to sitting in too wet soil, so I just dug the poor thing up and put into a pot with lots of perlite. Not sure if it’s too far gone. Never had that issue before with them in the ground. 

Its barely above 10C and raining here. Total waste of another weekend. Can do virtually nothing outside. 

https://www.weatherzone.com.au/news/perths-wettest-july-in-26-years/534694

Actually it’s 8.8C here at 12.45pm. I overestimated the temp. 

I think I’m going to just sleep the afternoon away. 

• Like 1

In early July we had the first frosts here in a couple years. A bit of damage to one of my Banana groups. Kentias and king palms are all good.

25 minutes ago, sipalms said:

Early spring...? Noticed this yesterday in Hagley Park!

20210730_172252.jpg.e4bf5e3ae2bb923db7ac17ca829da7bb.jpg

I reckon. None in bloom here yet. 

So we finished July with 214mm of rain bringing the total to midnight to 839mm for the year. We’ve had another 12mm since midnight so we are now past 850mm. Lakes have completely burst their banks again. 

The average rainfall from Aug to Dec is around 390mm and the long term forecast is for average to above average rainfall this year, so this could turn out to be a 1300mm year. Will we hit 1000mm before the end of the month?

Ive got plans to create new billabong style hollows around the place where water pools for ages joined by dry creek beds lined with pebbles etc to start controlling standing water. Certain new garden areas will be raised 300-400mm with sand and compost to prevent water logging. The billabong stream areas will be planted up with tree ferns and palms like Rhopalostylis and Archontophoenix and Livistona which are species that love swampy wet conditions and it will reduce grass areas so less mowing. It’s something to look forward too but the place will have to dry out before we can get earthmoving machinery in. 

• Upvote 1

Last year, water didn’t start flowing into the lakes here until August 4th nearly a year ago. This year it happened on May 3rd. 

So out of interest I added up the rainfall total from Aug 1 2020 until July 31 2021. The figure was 1363mm!!!

No wonder this place is waterlogged and our water tanks were overflowing in summer.

18 hours ago, Tyrone said:

So we finished July with 214mm of rain bringing the total to midnight to 839mm for the year. We’ve had another 12mm since midnight so we are now past 850mm. Lakes have completely burst their banks again. 

The average rainfall from Aug to Dec is around 390mm and the long term forecast is for average to above average rainfall this year, so this could turn out to be a 1300mm year. Will we hit 1000mm before the end of the month?

Ive got plans to create new billabong style hollows around the place where water pools for ages joined by dry creek beds lined with pebbles etc to start controlling standing water. Certain new garden areas will be raised 300-400mm with sand and compost to prevent water logging. The billabong stream areas will be planted up with tree ferns and palms like Rhopalostylis and Archontophoenix and Livistona which are species that love swampy wet conditions and it will reduce grass areas so less mowing. It’s something to look forward too but the place will have to dry out before we can get earthmoving machinery in. 

That sounds like alot of work but be great when all done and I guess useful even if Myrphy's law sees you have a run of dry years after completion 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, cbmnz said:

That sounds like alot of work but be great when all done and I guess useful even if Myrphy's law sees you have a run of dry years after completion 

I will dig them around a metre deep but probably line the bottom 40cm with pond liner to keep water in the lowest bit. I might be able to grow Lillie’s in there too. We always get water on that area every year so it will run as a stream intermittently through a normal winter which should be pretty cool. In a heavier year they will run for longer and in an apocalyptic flood, you won’t even be able to see it at all because everything will be under water. 

Coldest morning of the year down here after a few days of no rain (under a high pressure zone). High pressure zones are always a threat of cold nights in winter. We went down to 0.7C this morning with a bit of light frost on exposed parts of the lawn. If that the coldest we get, then I’ll take it. The rain returns tonight. Beautiful day down here now with a max of 20C forecast and beautiful blue skies.

A few weeks and then spring. 

Our coldest morning as well, 17.4c.
My son is working out at Wave Hill in these conditions.... dust !
227491343_509697466791080_8323796790624342513_n.jpg.07f9b33776fbe6ad6175306053c05381.jpg

• Upvote 1

Well yesterday we had the coldest morning of winter with a low of 0.7C, but this morning we had a low of 13.8C which is the warmest minimum this winter! This morning the sun is out and there’s blue skies with a few clouds around and a bit of rain forecast. Beautiful. 

Yesterday we almost hit 22C as well, so spring is stirring.