IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Winter down under

cbmnz

It was only 12C today and driving home after work it was only 9C. Have had a heap of rain.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

This morning when I got to work in town there was hail everywhere. That was even though it fell 4 hrs earlier.

E09DD1A3-015A-48BA-B254-8357BB55CD23.jpeg

7C0B3476-6AF9-451A-A958-8908E958C07F.jpeg

4544C4D9-2403-47A4-A91F-228BB483079D.jpeg

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Then at 2.15pm there still was hail around. This was the same area as the last pic. It was still there when I went home at 4.30pm. Bitterly cold day on the south coast. Like summer in Iceland. 

A8898DC5-F766-464C-AE63-E89C73E9FBD3.jpeg

The water level is especially high today. To walk in the garden now you must wear gum boots.

A9D5E71E-BBD6-4E7F-9511-EDA0B06D497F.jpeg

4 hours ago, sandgroper said:

Cold in Perth today, only expecting 16c but the good thing is we are getting rain.

Positively toasty. :P:D

• Like 1

https://www.weatherzone.com.au/news/you-wouldnt-want-to-be-sailing-across-the-tasman-sea-this-weekend/534194

9-10m waves forecast for Lord Howe Island on Saturday. Not a good day for kayaking.

• Like 1

24c today but we're in for a cold wet weekend before the first day of winter.

• Upvote 1

We’ve got 24C tomorrow down here. Got easterlies and a top of 21C today. At lot better than the 12C we had on Monday. I think that 24C will be the last we see for a long while. We’ve got the possibility of 80mm of rain in the next few days starting Saturday. I could probably put a small hydroelectric generator on my stream when that happens. The whole property is charged with water to capacity already. 

This article is promising for this winter. I especially like the bit about less freezing nights than usual, above average night and day temps and the accuracy for June in WA is quite high.

https://www.weatherzone.com.au/news/boms-wet-and-dry-winter-outlook-comes-with-a-grain-of-salt/534195

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tyrone said:

We’ve got 24C tomorrow down here. Got easterlies and a top of 21C today. At lot better than the 12C we had on Monday. I think that 24C will be the last we see for a long while. We’ve got the possibility of 80mm of rain in the next few days starting Saturday. I could probably put a small hydroelectric generator on my stream when that happens. The whole property is charged with water to capacity already. 

This article is promising for this winter. I especially like the bit about less freezing nights than usual, above average night and day temps and the accuracy for June in WA is quite high.

https://www.weatherzone.com.au/news/boms-wet-and-dry-winter-outlook-comes-with-a-grain-of-salt/534195

That is an interesting read mate. Could be good news for my coconut as it won't receive any protection at all this winter, it's on its own due to it now being too big to do anything about protecting it.

• Upvote 1

Probably the end for the  main crown of bananas tonight, normally make it to start of June but rarely longer.  Down to 3.6C now at 10pm.  Finding the heaviest few frosts in my weather station records from 2016 have been down at 0.5C by 10pm the night before.   I predict about -0.5 to -1C in the morning.

19 hours ago, sandgroper said:

That is an interesting read mate. Could be good news for my coconut as it won't receive any protection at all this winter, it's on its own due to it now being too big to do anything about protecting it.

I hope your coconut fairs well and we have a mild winter over here.

I’m hoping for a mild winter to help everything recuperate a bit more from last years horror frost. Almost everything recovered well this year, but my Hyophorbe indicas could do with another couple of mild winters.

I’m not sure if this is a general rule that I can go by, but my worst frost events come before the rains really kick in and before the stream starts flowing at my place. Last year I got bad frost on July 12th and the winter rains and stream flow didn’t really happen until August 4th when we got 85mm of rain in one day. This year the stream started up on May 3rd really early so hopefully no real cold this year. 

Talking about rain, one website is saying my area will receive around 225mm of rain in the next fortnight. I hope that is wrong and we get less. That would be close to east coast wet season rainfall if that happened. We’ve received over 325mm of rain so far this year. 2021 could be a 1000mm plus year.

14 hours ago, cbmnz said:

Probably the end for the  main crown of bananas tonight, normally make it to start of June but rarely longer.  Down to 3.6C now at 10pm.  Finding the heaviest few frosts in my weather station records from 2016 have been down at 0.5C by 10pm the night before.   I predict about -0.5 to -1C in the morning.

How did things turn out for you last night?

Some magic force field, most likely just a cloud or a period of breeze raised the temp from 1.6C to 3.5C for most of the early hours before the temp dropped at dawn to -0.5C, about 0.5hr below freezing only. . So the banana main crown survives a bit longer, will make June and at that temp nothing else was  bothered. Nearly metoffice site (rural) got down to -2.6C with 5 hours below.

• Upvote 1

I have both Alexandre and Cunninghamiana in ground will see which one handles winter better.

• Upvote 1

My place received 105mm of rain in less than 2 days. That’s roughly the amount that would fall in a good wetter May. We’ve received 230mm for May. I think this has been the wettest month I’ve ever experienced since moving down here in 2014. 

• 2 weeks later...

Got some more rain heading down to us from the north from a vigorous tropical system in the Indian Ocean. Perth will be getting rain now. Will be getting a bit of strong wind and gales with this one.

Just looked at the weather so far for June and we are about 5C warmer than Perth at night which is weird. Perth is about 6.4C avg minimum for June and Albany is about 11.4C avg minimum for this June so far. Also for the year we have received about double Perths rain. Perth is around 230mm and we've had about 450mm so far since January 1st 2021. Albany had as much rain in May as Perth has had all year to this morning. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tyrone said:

Got some more rain heading down to us from the north from a vigorous tropical system in the Indian Ocean. Perth will be getting rain now. Will be getting a bit of strong wind and gales with this one.

Just looked at the weather so far for June and we are about 5C warmer than Perth at night which is weird. Perth is about 6.4C avg minimum for June and Albany is about 11.4C avg minimum for this June so far. Also for the year we have received about double Perths rain. Perth is around 230mm and we've had about 450mm so far since January 1st 2021. Albany had as much rain in May as Perth has had all year to this morning. 

Very cold and wet in Perth today, I think it only got to 17c but felt really cold with the wind. Going for 22c tomorrow which is an improvement but still plenty of rain ahead.

• Upvote 1

It’s been icy down here today. It only made 13.7C today. I drove home after work and the car said 10C. Got the fire roaring at home. The gusty northerlies will be interesting tonight. Unusual direction for winter. More of a summer direction when decaying cyclones head down this way. 

• Like 1

I got up this morning before sun up to 17.2C and strong gusty northerlies. The low clouds are flying past at small plane cruising speed. I wouldn’t want to be in a plane at low elevation at the moment. Pretty ominous outside.

Considering we didn’t even make it to 14C yesterday it feels quite warm at the moment. The dew point and temps have gone up all night. It’s like a small decaying cyclone is passing by. This morning temp feels more like a June morning in Broome except it would be still and cloudless in Broome in June. 

• Like 1

Very wet in Perth this morning, Jandakot received 20mm overnight, no complaints about that. It has been very windy but seems to have quietened down a bit now. Looks like we'll get a bit more rain yet though.

• Like 1

Today was the coldest day for 37 years and the coldest June day for 122 years at Observatory Hill, with a high of 10.3c.

Some western suburbs had their lowest maximums on record. The Blue Mountains had a high of just 1.0c.  Snow was widespread on the tablelands.

• Upvote 1

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Frost-free within 20 km of coast

By contrast down here we got to 21.8C with about 10mm of rain and very strong winds. The front window on my office was actually bowing inwards around 6-10mm in the strongest wind gusts at work. 

• Upvote 1

This morning fog, with a silhouette of Parajubaea leaves in the distance.

ACDF7092-AF08-4004-BF62-9190A131E9A4.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tyrone said:

This morning fog, with a silhouette of Parajubaea leaves in the distance.

ACDF7092-AF08-4004-BF62-9190A131E9A4.jpeg

Clear blue skies up here today, a beautiful day.  Fog always looks good through the bush, not a bad view to wake up to Tyrone.

Screenshot_20210612-104709.png

Edited by sandgroper
  • Upvote 1

The chilliest day of the dry season so far. Only 28.5c at 12.40pm Darwin Airport.

Capture.JPG

19 minutes ago, greysrigging said:

The chilliest day of the dry season so far. Only 28.5c at 12.40pm Darwin Airport.

Capture.JPG

You poor bugger, better get yourself some winter Woolies! :D

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, greysrigging said:

Capture.JPG

Light that fire. Get warm again. 

• Like 3

Actually warmed up this arvo.
Darwin Airport is following the trends of recent years and running about 1*c above the long term averages for June, both max and min temps. Rainfall is normal with 0mm expected in the dry season month of June.
12 days into the month, so nearly half way. Been glorious stock standard dry season weather with some nights below 20c, ensuring a pleasant nights sleep and cloudless sunny skies about 31c temps during the day.
The second half of June and into July is expected to cool down slightly as the southern half of Australia descends into Southern Hemisphere winter.

Capture.JPG

• Like 1

Could be dusting of snow tonight on the Stirlings ?
Winter arrives in Western Australia ( source: weatherzone )
"A strong cold front is crossing southwest Western Australia, bringing gales, rainstorms, and the potential for snow on the Stirling Ranges tonight.

While the southeast endured an unusually prolonged cold outbreak during the second week of June, the southwest has largely been warmer than average—the exception a brief cool spell Monday 7th and Tuesday 8thA strong cold front is now crossing the southwest, bringing gales, rain, and much cooler temperatures. 

Cape Leeuwin has been gusting over 90 km/h this morning, peaking at 102 km/h around dawn, and around 15mm of rain has fallen over South West, South Coastal and southern parts of Great Southern. Temperatures will remain in the low-to-mid teens for Monday, about 4 degrees below previous days. As cold post-frontal air sweeps over the region, Monday night will see the freezing level drop to around 1200m, bringing the potential for a few snow flakes about the Stirling Ranges.
Capture.JPG.5c0f57babf54b9b5067535b1c8b80b28.JPG
The typical post-frontal high pressure system will then move in, bringing the potential for frost late in the week. The high will also slingshot cold northwards, with even the Kimberley seeing temperatures drop 3-4 degrees late in the week.

Next weekend is getting a long way out for forecasts, but indications are firming for another vigorous low and cold front. This system looks to encroach further northwards, bringing 20-30 mm of rain over the southwest and more gale-force southwesterlies.

All what one would expect in a southwest WA winter. 

• Upvote 1

At noon it was 8.1C with high winds, hail, rain and thunderstorms. Definite indoors day. Place is flooded again. With all the rain we’ve had the area looks as green as Ireland. 

Foul weather down here today. Had almost 40mm of rain in the last couple of days. It was wet here before now it’s totally saturated. I had to dig a drain tonight to drain standing water away from my Roystonea borinquena which isn’t liking it. I hope it’s ok. Too wet. We’ve had a smidge under 500mm for the year so far and winter is just beginning. 

On 6/17/2021 at 7:04 PM, sandgroper said:

Check this coming Mondays temp, this is a very day for Perth!

Screenshot_20210617-190039.png

Cold for Perth and it will be colder down here.

I had around 1C here this morning. A bit of light frost on the most exposed parts of the lawn. Otherwise no damage. I just wish the ground would dry out a bit. Got standing water everywhere. Not looking forward to more rain for a few days starting Sunday morning. But rain and cloud means no frost. As long as it’s not too heavy. We’ve not really had drizzle so far this winter. Not like summer. It’s all been heavy and dramatic. 

Enjoyed a long mild spell in June so far. Been up to 19C and almost no cold nights.  This is getting late very late to still have not had a significant frost. Looks like that might change this week, the frosts will have to come some time.

20210619_200605.jpg

20210619_200626.jpg

20210619_200643.jpg

• Upvote 1

Bureau of Meteorology ( Western Australia )
Today at 1:58 PM ·
Wintery blast  on the way for parts of southern WA on Sunday and Monday, with rain and thunderstorms  across northern parts of the state. A cold front approaching south west WA this afternoon, will move across southwestern parts of the state on Sunday, bringing cold, gusty and showery conditions, with possible thunderstorms and small hail. These conditions will continue into Monday. Temperatures will be cold, with maximums 4-8C below average across western WA. Some locations may struggle to reach double figures on Monday, with icy southerly winds and wind chills, making it feel even colder. Perth will be just 14C on Monday. Further north rain and thunderstorms will develop and spread across central and eastern parts of the Pilbara and northern Interior, with heavy falls possible. A low-pressure system may develop Monday into Tuesday near southern WA bringing more impacts, but it's a dynamic and changeable situation and impacts are highly dependant on if and where the low pressure system develops. So its important to stay up to date with the latest forecasts and any warnings issued. Know your weather. Know your risk. For the latest forecasts and warnings visit our website ow.ly/mxkr50Fcb7w or BOM Weather app.
1462947227_Capture.JPGWAColdFront.JPG.bb2b2294bafa3c63dc981ea33b99d8e7.JPG

23 hours ago, greysrigging said:

Bureau of Meteorology ( Western Australia )
Today at 1:58 PM ·
Wintery blast  on the way for parts of southern WA on Sunday and Monday, with rain and thunderstorms  across northern parts of the state. A cold front approaching south west WA this afternoon, will move across southwestern parts of the state on Sunday, bringing cold, gusty and showery conditions, with possible thunderstorms and small hail. These conditions will continue into Monday. Temperatures will be cold, with maximums 4-8C below average across western WA. Some locations may struggle to reach double figures on Monday, with icy southerly winds and wind chills, making it feel even colder. Perth will be just 14C on Monday. Further north rain and thunderstorms will develop and spread across central and eastern parts of the Pilbara and northern Interior, with heavy falls possible. A low-pressure system may develop Monday into Tuesday near southern WA bringing more impacts, but it's a dynamic and changeable situation and impacts are highly dependant on if and where the low pressure system develops. So its important to stay up to date with the latest forecasts and any warnings issued. Know your weather. Know your risk. For the latest forecasts and warnings visit our website ow.ly/mxkr50Fcb7w or BOM Weather app.
1462947227_Capture.JPGWAColdFront.JPG.bb2b2294bafa3c63dc981ea33b99d8e7.JPG

Yes, I am a bit concerned about this event considering the fact they my ground is now 100% waterlogged with no ability to take anything more. Windy.com is saying another 22mm in the next 24hrs and that’s going to feel like 100mm of rain when the ground is drier. Ive got water just oozing out of higher ground from my neighbours property water logging the pine forest here. I’ve got small rivulets just flowing where I normally wouldn’t. The heavy rain has just started. I can do with a month of no rain and if that happened we still wouldn’t be behind the average rainfall for the year. It’s been wet. 

Well forget 22m in 24hrs. Try 70mm in 3hrs. This is worrying but the rain has abated for now. However the torrent through my property is very concerning. I’ve got streams from all my neighbours property’s loading my place up with bridges and culverts all underneath torrents. The lakes are all rising to record levels. The culvert draining my property is at capacity. It appears that more is entering than leaving. 

Roads are blocked everywhere and some homes would be flooded from this. A friend of mine a few kms from me received 91mm in 2.5hrs but at that time another friend to my east literally received nothing. No warning from the BOM either. They are capital city centric.  

Evacuated. 119mm in 5 hrs. Will check house in the morning but I reckon it’s under now.