IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Butia archeri x Syagrus romanzoffiana

LivistonaFan

Hello,

I acquired the above-mentioned hybrid about a month ago. Maybe I am blind, but I couldn't find any thread about it on palmtalk? I am eager to learn about its cold hardiness, eventual size and everything else^_^.  

I admit, there is not much to look at + it had sunburn:

DSC_1734.thumb.JPG.acd4066d69f92f4afff7bc0ee635185b.JPG

But nevertheless, it seems a bit tougher than my queen palms which are just a little bigger. They even got burned at about -2 or -3°C and heavy frost, whereas this had nothing.

Show me yours, please:w00t:.

• Like 3

????

07690.gif

elevation 328 feet

distance from mediteranean sea 1,1 mile

lowest t° 2009/2010 : 27F

lowest t° 2008/2009 : 33F

lowest t° 2007/2008 : 32F

lowest t° 2006/2007 : 35F

lowest t° 2005/2006 : 27F

lowest t° 2004/2005 : 25F

Historical lowest t° 1985 : 18F

Awesome hybrid! 

For sure will be smaller than usual butiagrus but less hardier. 

Who is the source of this seedling? 

• Like 1

On 5/10/2019 at 7:35 PM, gilles06 said:

????

Correction: This is most possibly not a Butyagrus archeri!!!:wacko:

The Butyagrus I ordered was definitely marketed as Butia archeri x Syagrus romanzoffiana (because I hadn't known Butia archeri before and therefore had to look it up). 

I was in a quite stressful situation and I was very excited to get a hybrid of two very different palms so I bought it immediately (which was not that clever:mellow:).  

After I realized today that this hybrid is very rare or maybe doesn't exist at all, I checked the photos the seller sent me to choose my plant. 

And I saw this (back then I didn't see it:blush:):

386807614_Screenshot(31).png.caa849eca54dad8da9c6088e88e8923d.png

BPXS          Therefore all of us can agree that it is probably just an odd Butyagrus paraguayensis 

But now, look what stood instead of it as I received it :

DSC_1752.thumb.JPG.cb8a3779b882637ca7b181f3a37fcf02.JPG

BAXS Butia archeri x Syagrus romanzoffiana. These are pictures of the same plant back then from the seller and now today from me. I would call this fraud. 

8 hours ago, Kenarr09 said:

Awesome hybrid! 

For sure will be smaller than usual butiagrus but less hardier. 

Who is the source of this seedling? 

it was exactly the eventual thin stem why I wanted to have it.

But with a Butia paraguayensis as a mother, which eventually reaches (according to palmpedia) nearly the same diameter as a Butia capitata  I'm not half as excited.

Of course, I can't tell you the source of this seedling as this would be bad for the seller's reputation ( To this day I thought it was a relatively reputable grower:hmm:.) 

lesson learned: I bought an overpriced hybrid and will look the next time more closely

Edited by LivistonaFan
grammar
  • Like 1

B.p X S would still be a pretty uncommon palm. Still a keeper, keep us posted as to how it grows :greenthumb:

I would still contact the seller to see if you can come to some sort of agreement in terms of $$$

Edited by RJ
  • Like 2

Hace 3 horas, LivistonaFan dijo:

Eso parece ser un buen híbrido. En España conozco personas que tienen Butia archeri floreciendo varios años y hay cruces con Syagrus. En el futuro Europa tendrá cosas muy interesantes. No entiendo por qué está escrito encima del nombre de la planta hecha o nombrada por el productor.

Butia paraguayensis is smaller than capitata, now odorata. It has the thinnest trunk and smallest crown.

Edited by MAUSER
ESMUR3000000030009A.gif

1 hour ago, MAUSER said:

Eso parece ser un buen híbrido. En España conozco personas que tienen Butia archeri floreciendo varios años y hay cruces con Syagrus. En el futuro Europa tendrá cosas muy interesantes. No entiendo por qué está escrito encima del nombre de la planta hecha o nombrada por el productor.

Butia paraguayensis is smaller than capitata, now odorata. It has the thinnest trunk and smallest crown.

Photos of those Butia archeris would be much appreciated. Much has been sold as archeri that is not. They are as rare as hen's teeth.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MAUSER said:

The seller told me the almost the same story and it sounded plausible to me. Maybe this whole thing is just a misunderstanding:mellow:.

13 hours ago, RJ said:

B.p X S would still be a pretty uncommon palm. Still a keeper, keep us posted as to how it grows :greenthumb:

I would still contact the seller to see if you can come to some sort of agreement in terms of $$$

I will definitely keep it. It is presumably more cold hardy than a hybrid with Butia archeri and maybe it will become a nice looking slender palm as well. I have no comparison with other Butyagrus but it looks like it is slower growing (to this point most definitely slower than my Syagrus romanzoffianas although it is hard to say as summer hasn't arrived yet and it is maybe not as acclimatized). Furthermore, I won't be able to sell it anytime soon without any loss so it has to stay here anyway.

9 hours ago, Flow said:

Las fotos de esas Butia archeris serían muy apreciadas. Mucho se ha vendido como archeri que no es. Son tan raros como los dientes de gallina.

I do not like archeri much, I prefer paraguayensis, but at home I have several archeri and in the field about 10. I know someone who has about 40.

Here is the small one in the middle

IMG_20190512_101227.thumb.JPG.5b5a45bf8a540995757f7fb8261881ca.JPG

• Like 3
ESMUR3000000030009A.gif

paraguayensis first, odorata behind. Much more beautiful paraguayensis than the archeri

IMG_20190512_095138.thumb.jpg.bd78ff35e1e7dafee5fd473a7a2a8691.jpg

• Like 3
ESMUR3000000030009A.gif

There is also a hybrid SyagrusxB.archeri, with the red base. Do not compare with photos of the habitat, here they are well fed and each plant is different.

will not let me put more pictures. (You are only allowed to upload 8mb.)

Edited by MAUSER
ESMUR3000000030009A.gif

1 hour ago, LivistonaFan said:

The seller told me the almost the same story and it sounded plausible to me. Maybe this whole thing is just a misunderstanding:mellow:

I will definitely keep it. It is presumably more cold hardy than a hybrid with Butia archeri and maybe it will become a nice looking slender palm as well. I have no comparison with other Butyagrus but it looks like it is slower growing (to this point most definitely slower than my Syagrus romanzoffianas although it is hard to say as summer hasn't arrived yet and it is maybe not as acclimatized). Furthermore, I won't be able to sell it anytime soon without any loss so it has to stay here anyway.

That plant is very small and should not be exposed for the moment at low temperatures. It seems that the burns of the leaves are not due to the sun, it is due to the excess of fertilization.

the fault of having false archeris, was the importers of large quantities of seeds, not the small buyers who acquired them.

Edited by MAUSER
ESMUR3000000030009A.gif

On 5/12/2019 at 10:51 AM, MAUSER said:

I do not like archeri much, I prefer paraguayensis, but at home I have several archeri and in the field about 10. I know someone who has about 40.

Here is the small one in the middle

IMG_20190512_101227.thumb.JPG.5b5a45bf8a540995757f7fb8261881ca.JPG

Gracias! Yo prefiero Butia archeri. Despues de todo, sobre gustos y colores no discuten los doctores;-)

• 4 months later...

I wouldn't believe anything is a real archerii unless the seed was sourced directly from the member Caixeto, or mature enough for a positive identification.  Everything from RPS has proven bogus.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

I wouldn't believe anything is a real archerii unless the seed was sourced directly from the member Caixeto, or mature enough for a positive identification.  Everything from RPS has proven bogus.

I love RPS, but I agree, B. archeri is never B. archeri from RPS. Do you have any real B. archeri available right now?

Longview, Texas :: Record Low: -5F, Feb. 16, 2021 :: Borderline 8A/8B :: '06-'07: 18F / '07-'08: 21F / '08-'09: 21F / '09-'10: 14F / '10-'11: 15F / '11-'12: 24F / '12-'13: 23F / '13-'14: 15F / '14-'15: 20F / '15-'16: 27F / '16-'17: 15F / '17-'18: 8F / '18-'19: 23F / '19-'20: 19F / '20-'21: -5F / '21-'22: 20F / '22-'23: 6F

• 5 months later...
On 5/12/2019 at 9:55 AM, MAUSER said:

no spikes

IMG_20190512_094732.jpg

UK zone 8b/9a. No heavy frosts. Occasional -6c. Dull wet winters. Cool summers.

Definitely not archeri I'm afraid.  B. purpurascens perhaps?

UK zone 8b/9a. No heavy frosts. Occasional -6c. Dull wet winters. Cool summers.