IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Tracy

Sorry for the false start and self portrait.  The other Old Man, a Coccothrinax crinita I just planted yesterday.  It was an impulse purchase when I was getting a couple of other plants, but I couldn't resist it with its hairy trunk.  Not as common to see here in Southern California as perhaps Florida.  I decided to mix it in based on a contrasting texture rather than trying to coordinate it with other Cuban species.  In reality it would be difficult for me to plant anything in groups by place of origin, my garden is already a jumble of places.  So in it went near a Dypsis, a Ravenea, a Copernicia and several Encephalartos.  I'm happy with the end result that it will created with varying leaf forms and colors!

20190420-104A3014.jpg

20190420-104A3022.jpg

20190420-104A3028.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Funny intro Tracy!

As for the palm, they really become something as they put on some size with that hairy trunk.

Funny I put in a small 5 gallon last week!! I’ve heard these are hard to grow . Had mine for almost 2 years .

• Like 1

I just got a four year old seedling of C crinita...TINY THING!

received_433590884059745.jpeg

• Like 1

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you.” –Frank Lloyd Wright