IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cocos nucifera indoor winter experiments

Rickybobby

4 hours ago, MelvinB said:

New picture taken 30 min. ago. 

The 2 visible “V-leafs” are certainly growing wider/bigger. 

No problems so far, even it hasn’t sun every day. 

76039EE4-C986-4D81-B955-8E5FBB585647.jpeg

Awesome. If I hadn’t of over watered mine it would be as big as yours. Hopefully my next seedling makes it 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Rickybobby said:

Awesome. If I hadn’t of over watered mine it would be as big as yours. Hopefully my next seedling makes it 

Yes, i dont over-care my Cocos, which works better in my own experience. 

My Beccariophoenix is also pushing a new leaf.

8BD6B183-2351-4C7E-89D2-C33174F5A085.jpeg

F63568D6-8FF2-4F89-B15B-F74B6B37B258.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here’s mine in its soon-to-be new pot:

22B5364B-974D-4740-A9E6-36784A7E0608.thumb.jpeg.efe3d488a82c10b598a24447de5205f3.jpeg

It’s been outdoors during the day, indoors at night lately and it’s taking off like a rocket after spending the winter indoors.

This is the only palm I have that hasn’t sunburned (max UV Index 8/9 now), despite going straight from a southern window into full all-day sunshine. Even new growth is unfazed.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

There’s a new leaf coming next to the pen marking. 

I cranked up the brightness a bit so it’s better visible. If you could look top down, you can see it even better. 

08834FA5-D10A-4E4A-871A-50BBECD5B99F.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here in Holland we have a few days with excellent weather, so Cocos (and Becarriophoenix also)  is placed outside out of the wind, temperature around 33 degrees Celcius. End of the day it’s going inside again.

The new leaf is coming along nicely. 

51DA39EE-14CC-4F21-A1DB-45EC311B6515.jpeg

BE0CEAEB-EA88-4742-8376-86FB60468CA4.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Tomorrow I will be posting on YouTube and here my secret to germinating store bought coconuts. It is a revised version of my mentors of YouTube 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Rickybobby said:

Tomorrow I will be posting on YouTube and here my secret to germinating store bought coconuts. It is a revised version of my mentors of YouTube 

Look forward to seeing that!

• Like 1

Picked this guy up tonight as you can see as I mention in video the germination eye wants to push and this is in a cold grocery store 

3B033AE2-ADBD-41C9-AF94-DF172777FE83.jpeg

• Like 2

On 2/26/2019 at 2:26 AM, Rickybobby said:

What do you guys think if I pot my next one in clay pebbles and perlite only no soil? Remember will be in a pot forever ?

Just let a coconut sprout into a pot with only claypebbles, water and a waterlevelindicater. You are creating a palm on hydroculture which I did some years ago. The palm did well until spidermites struck the plant.

P1020831.JPG

• Like 1

Hey everyone since my other coconut is still tiny and just germinated. I picked up this guy today from my local palm nursery 

it was in a tiny pot which is good. Most of the roots except for one on the very bottom are excellent  iam 2 weeks away from putting the palms outside by the pool for the season so today he has an awesome spot with south west exposure and also his own led grow light for the cloudy days. The room is between 75 and 80f daily 

1D277D22-F740-4451-8F22-21954976A0D7.jpeg

• Like 2

Looking good mate! That's a great room you have set up there, you could spend hours playing around with your palms in there.

5 minutes ago, sandgroper said:

Looking good mate! That's a great room you have set up there, you could spend hours playing around with your palms in there.

Oh I do! When my daughter is kept busy I spend an hour a day in there. Good therapy for me. It’s good when I get some larger ones in there because they’re breathing literally adds 10 percent humidity to the room

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

So, winter is over and yesterday i decided to repot my Cocos to a new container.

When i broke the old container to get it out, i was impressed how long the taproot was which was only hanging in the air. (No soil) 

I managed to let the rootball intact when putting it in its new container. 

988D2402-52AB-4A7E-B008-44902AC7C6D4.jpeg

9A8A5E98-D6C6-4B0B-A36A-87B71F1BFCB8.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MelvinB said:

So, winter is over and yesterday i decided to repot my Cocos to a new container.

When i broke the old container to get it out, i was impressed how long the taproot was which was only hanging in the air. (No soil) 

I managed to let the rootball intact when putting it in its new container. 

988D2402-52AB-4A7E-B008-44902AC7C6D4.jpeg

9A8A5E98-D6C6-4B0B-A36A-87B71F1BFCB8.jpeg

That looks really dry. I will post my indoor coconut winter projects soon 

• Upvote 1

Yeah, i keep it on the dry side a bit in Winter. Works perfect and its pushing new leafs very quick.

When the sun is shining a lot more, i will give it more water like i did before. 

1BBD5CD7-48AE-4679-A731-C6A0E5B6F584.jpeg

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 16/3/2020 at 07:31, MelvinB said:

Hello how is your coconut?  Put a picture? I also have one planted in sea sand

Edited by Aleitalyyy

6 hours ago, Aleitalyyy said:

Hello how is your coconut?  Put a picture? I also have one planted in sea sand

It’s doing fine as you can see. 
Some old leaves are browning, but that’s normal. 

F2D3577E-E80A-4D11-B6FD-BACA0403772B.jpeg

157A98A6-376F-401D-BED1-B503FDD28245.jpeg

031C6733-BD02-475E-B460-2A54A9B16C92.jpeg

09FE729B-8CAC-4A25-A783-B02E373A9167.jpeg

Ciao @MelvinBche risultato straordinario ...

Ne ho uno anche qui in italia, l'ho preso al supermercato lo scorso maggio, ora è a casa perché di notte fa freddo ... 

Spero che il mio resista in casa fino a marzo ..

L'ho piantato nella sabbia marina pensando che avesse un migliore drenaggio delle radici, ma a volte si forma la muffa ... forse la fibra di cocco era migliore come substrato?

Edited by Aleitalyyy

35 minutes ago, Aleitalyyy said:

Ciao @MelvinBche risultato straordinario ...

Ne ho uno anche qui in italia, l'ho preso al supermercato lo scorso maggio, ora è a casa perché di notte fa freddo ... 

Spero che il mio resista in casa fino a marzo ..

L'ho piantato nella sabbia marina pensando che avesse un migliore drenaggio delle radici, ma a volte si forma la muffa ... forse la fibra di cocco era migliore come substrato?

I had to do a translation of your text to understand what you’re saying haha. 

You need a fast draining soil with fertilizer in it. 
I use this soil:

https://www.mypalmshop.com/palm-potting-compost-45-ltr

This potting compost has been specially developed by us for use with palms. It comprises Suscon to against sciaridae (a common pest). It also comprises three types of bark, many sorts of osmocotes (21-7-21+trace-elements), low-EC peat and pumice stone (4-8mm) to supply minerals at ph 5.5 and to aid drainage. This special mix is used by many professional palm growers and does not need to be complemented or fertilized for 16 months!

Edited by MelvinB

• 2 weeks later...

Spectacular, John!

• Like 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Incredible, John! Does it spend summer outdoors in London? It looks too perfect :)

I've got one I've had for 3/4 years which winters indoors... It wouldn't survive a Cádiz winter, though this year I've left it later than usual to bring in since we haven't had any cold yet. I brought it in yesterday, but it looks a lot more beaten up than yours (more so than the photo portrays).. Probably doesn't like our dry winds.. 

IMG_20201128_155404_copy_750x1000.jpg.63b9d608c9612d67a5e8e2f518051590.jpg

IMG_20201128_160334_copy_750x1000.jpg.70f698d05989c7ee22f06e70c079e20b.jpg

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Jan Jo said:

Incredible, John! Does it spend summer outdoors in London? It looks too perfect :)

I've got one I've had for 3/4 years which winters indoors... It wouldn't survive a Cádiz winter, though this year I've left it later than usual to bring in since we haven't had any cold yet. I brought it in yesterday, but it looks a lot more beaten up than yours (more so than the photo portrays).. Probably doesn't like our dry winds.. 

It spent the first year and a half in a south-facing kitchen window. I posted about it in another topic: https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/56974-a-coconut-in-london/

Well, we moved house in February, and now it has this wonderful conservatory, again south-facing. It's been in the garden this summer, sure, but I'd be worried about UV damage to leave it there for too long. 

On 29/11/2020 at 23:55, John in Andalucia said:

Grazie Meg!

already congratulations your palm and something fantastic ... I was also looking for a yellow quality but here in Italy it is not found ... and not even in Europe ... I am cultivating a green quality of those of the garden ... i didn't understand if you live in spain?

@Jan Jo your wonderful compliments too ... where did you get the yellow variety in london? in my part you can find green qualities in gardens or supermarkets as indoor plants only in season

15 minutes ago, Aleitalyyy said:

@Jan Jo your wonderful compliments too ... where did you get the yellow variety in london? in my part you can find green qualities in gardens or supermarkets as indoor plants only in season

Hi Alessandro! 

Thanks! Actually I'm not in London (I lived there once upon a time), that would be "John in Andalucia"... I actually am in Andalucia! Confusing? Hahaha.. 

I bought mine from my a local garden centre where I live near Cadiz, no idea what variety it is (I'm no coconut expert)... 

J

@Jan Jo hahaha yes a bit confused ... maybe I didn't understand but I realized that the other user is also Spanish then we are close I am in northern Italy in liguria ... i have a friend in malaga who grows a coconut in a cold greenhouse for the first time his first winter ... regarding the coconut there are tall dwarf varieties, hybrids, yellow crossed with panama etc. you have an excellent quality there, yellow is more rustic than green ...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jan Jo said:

Hi Alessandro! 

Thanks! Actually I'm not in London (I lived there once upon a time), that would be "John in Andalucia"... I actually am in Andalucia! Confusing? Hahaha.. 

I bought mine from my a local garden centre where I live near Cadiz, no idea what variety it is (I'm no coconut expert)... 

J

Yeah, sorry for that! I joined PalmTalk in 2007 and was living in Spain from 2004 until 2014. Now I'm in London, because I'm British, and there are/were no jobs in Spain! I hope to retire there eventually though. We'll see. 

• Like 1

On 29/11/2020 at 19:00, John in Andalucia said:

È l'ora di Coco! La mia nana rossa malese ha ormai quasi 2,5 anni.

coco-2.thumb.JPG.0cfdf703c6fa1d3fd21c202f0dd6ebbc.JPG

how many hours of direct sunlight does it take? I'm talking about direct sun on the leaves ....