IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cocos nucifera indoor winter experiments

Rickybobby

Clay type pots (that are not glazed) will dry the growing medium faster than plastic pots.

Raych you might consider getting yours off the floor. The heating vent is pulling the cold air on the floor past the plant if it normally lives where it's shown in your pic. Getting it up on a table would be a few degrees warmer.

Edited by NOT A TA
  • Like 1

Okay, guys, I did it! I have some vids and pics; how do we do vids here? Should I upload them to YT first or what? 

In my last resort to save my coconut tomorow I’m digging mine out the soil and putting it back in a ziplock bag to let the roots breathe and see if I can recover it. If not. I have other coconuts to try. It’s not the end of the world. The first one I posted was my first attempt but. Not my last 

Well, I looked and I guess I didn't take pics of it when I first cut the pot off (my hands were full), but I DID record the entire thing, so if you care to see the entire process, here it is in two parts; just don't mind the rest of the channel being completely non-plant-related! :)

Part 1: 

Part 2: 

........OH! Well, that was easy. 

• Like 2

It’s now in a larger, clay (glazed; it’s all I could find) pot, with 50-50 cactus potting soil and lava rock. I left it in the same place because I don’t have many options in terms of space and toddler destruction. I have a warming pad as well but haven’t done anything with it just yet. I don’t know if you are like this about your plants, but I am kind of sensing that it’s already starting to feel a little better. 

We will find out, I guess!

Here are some photos of the process: 

1F6CEDC0-0E3C-4239-9D74-899775009778.jpeg

1151041B-B502-4615-AAEC-C5BD293C1EDE.jpeg

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Rickybobby said:

In my last resort to save my coconut tomorow I’m digging mine out the soil and putting it back in a ziplock bag to let the roots breathe and see if I can recover it. If not. I have other coconuts to try. It’s not the end of the world. The first one I posted was my first attempt but. Not my last 

Oh no, is yours doing worse today? :(

Not sure if this coconut will survive, given that it may already be in a fairly advanced state of distress, but repotting it was the right call. Lava rock is generally a great idea, as are wood chips or anything that will allow water to flow through unimpeded. Perlite also helps, but I find perlite drying out far too quickly and isn't as reliable. You asked about nutrients in a soilless mix. That is where judicious use of fertilizer comes in. It can be tricky to get right, but that is how you will keep your plant fed. Peat-based potting mixes are generally also "soilless" in the sense that most of them do not have real "earth" or garden soil mixed into them. 

I don't personally have experience growing coconuts indoors, but I do know that they are less tolerant of "wet feet" than some of the rainforest species. As a consequence, they are also slightly more drought tolerant. So superior drainage is essential.

• Like 1

It’s too bad the pot only has one hole. Did you put some lava rock at the bottom to help with drainage? Myself used clay pebbles which really gets the water out. When I use peat I use pro mix hp. Similar to the cactus mix but way more perlite. I have a separate bag of it and I create my own mixes

20 hours ago, RaychHasDatePalms said:

It’s now in a larger, clay (glazed; it’s all I could find) pot, with 50-50 cactus potting soil and lava rock. I left it in the same place because I don’t have many options in terms of space and toddler destruction. I have a warming pad as well but haven’t done anything with it just yet. I don’t know if you are like this about your plants, but I am kind of sensing that it’s already starting to feel a little better. 

We will find out, I guess!

Here are some photos of the process: 

1F6CEDC0-0E3C-4239-9D74-899775009778.jpeg

1151041B-B502-4615-AAEC-C5BD293C1EDE.jpeg

I finally watched the vids. Good job on not destroying the roots. Your palm is as big as mine. That soil looked really mucky. But the leaves look pretty good. One thing I have learned. Too much water is way worse than not enough and even though the bottom roots were exposed it still got its moisture through the air and soil. Seeing how much dry roots were exposed. Is giving me ideas for my next coconut that will get potted this spring. I don’t think your doomed yet. But one thing I’ve seen is that one small area of root rot will eventually lead to more good job on the vids 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, RaychHasDatePalms said:

Oh no, is yours doing worse today? :(

Ok so this pic will show you yours is doing better than you thought 

A48CCDBB-376C-40F9-85C8-FDD8E05CD46C.jpeg

• Like 1

On 2/27/2019 at 7:47 PM, Rickybobby said:

Ok so this pic will show you yours is doing better than you thought 

A48CCDBB-376C-40F9-85C8-FDD8E05CD46C.jpeg

Aww, oh no! I'm so sorry! :( I hope yours finds its way toward miraculous recovery. (I know it's not the end of the world for you, but I mean it's still alive, so I feel for it.)

On 2/27/2019 at 9:57 AM, Rickybobby said:

It’s too bad the pot only has one hole. Did you put some lava rock at the bottom to help with drainage? Myself used clay pebbles which really gets the water out. When I use peat I use pro mix hp. Similar to the cactus mix but way more perlite. I have a separate bag of it and I create my own mixes

Yeah, I couldn't find the type of pot I wanted; I had originally planned to go to a different store to get a typical terra cotta..... but in any case, this one is better than what it was in before, or plastic! 

I did put a decent layer of the lava rock at the bottom, and the rest of the soil is a 50-50 mix of the cactus soil and the lava rock. I did give it a warm, deep water after transplanting, of course, and I could hear the water trickling through. I don't think the leaves' appearance has changed since I repotted, so I'm hoping that's a good sign. I'm also making sure to keep the light on more (my fiance had been turning it off  sometimes in the middle of the day because he's not a plant person and I am sure just didn't think about it, but it surely was not on purpose). I also have been keeping the humidifier on during the day, too. It's not like we don't need it anyway. 

I haven't unpacked the heat pad yet, since the tree is already in the warmest spot in the house, but am keeping a sharp eye on the tree, just in case it takes a sudden downward turn. 

Well still alive. My coco ranch has had its share of research this year. The seedling I just showed you a few days ago died. It was in the bag warm and humid as the others but didn’t make it. So I need to adjust something I will figure it out 

I have been trying so hard to get a healthy replacement for my first palm. But literally I have germinated 6 store bought palms this year and 1 going 

I have the same drama, I can germinate them but they die shortly after. I've never had that problem with any that I've germinated with the husk intact.

On 3/7/2019 at 8:57 PM, Rickybobby said:

Well still alive. My coco ranch has had its share of research this year. The seedling I just showed you a few days ago died. It was in the bag warm and humid as the others but didn’t make it. So I need to adjust something I will figure it out 

Oh, I’m sorry! I hope you figure it out quickly! Mine is acting like its drying up, even as I keep it misted and the soil isn’t draining as quickly as I’d like. I am at a loss. 

6 hours ago, RaychHasDatePalms said:

Oh, I’m sorry! I hope you figure it out quickly! Mine is acting like its drying up, even as I keep it misted and the soil isn’t draining as quickly as I’d like. I am at a loss. 

They do this when root issues happen. Unfortunately they can’t take up moisture that it needs. Biggest issues with palms for me has been the initial soil I used wasn’t draining staying to soggy etc. I’m now using more airiated soil and we will see how others fair this season 

Unfortunately I laid my coconut to rest this weekend. I enjoyed it from seed since last January 2018. It’s too bad what I know now compared to them. Soil didn’t drain enough and at the beginning pot was too large as well. As I get my indoor Canadian potted palm down I’m excited for my next coconut to germinate and try again. Too date in a year I have germinated around 6 from store bought. So I will move on and keep plugging 

Yeah, mine’s now showing signs of being way overwatered, even after all that trouble! I only watered it when I first repotted! I have no idea why a mix of cactus soil and volcano rock would retain too much water for a cocos..... 

I keep mine on the dry side indoors since its not getting alot of sun here at this moment so the palm doesn’t need a lot of water or fertilizer. 

Every 2 weeks a foliar spray and the following week a good watering till the plate below the container is filled with water.  Then i let the soil getting dry for 2 weeks. Once in a while its getting liquid fertilizer or 2 spoons pure salt instead of foliar spray.  

I marked the new but smaller 2 leafs and they are growing and getting wider. The marking is almost 2 centimeter higher now then the moment i did take the photo.

Not a lot of sun here, but its standing in front of a south window and its doing fine.

Friends gave me this palm in november 2018 as a present and while the smallest leafs turned brown (i did cut them off) because of transportation stress, the palm stabilized quickly. 

The brown spots on the new, but growing leafs are the results of cold drafts so i moved it to the south window and the spots didnt became bigger.

Room temperature is aproxx. 21.5 degrees Celcius day and night. (Floor heating system)

My soil: (fast draining, translated to English)

This palm potting soil is mixed with more than 15 different components such as with different types of osmocote (21-7-21 + trace elements) 12-14 months slow release and even pumicestone (4-8mm) for permeability and minerals. PH 5.5. This soil does not have to be supplied with fertilizer in the coming 16 months.

D1195D89-9F72-4D57-A9D7-44C5512218BC.jpeg

ED907EF3-DBEE-4B8C-B496-537B5D220638.jpeg

34E6BAF9-B1E3-4A90-A553-83CAF27F4177.jpeg

ECE5547A-011D-4199-8954-6CD22933C266.jpeg

Edited by MelvinB
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, MelvinB said:

I keep mine on the dry side indoors since its not getting alot of sun here at this moment so the palm doesn’t need a lot of water or fertilizer. 

Every 2 weeks a foliar spray and the following week a good watering till the plate below the container is filled with water.  Then i let the soil getting dry for 2 weeks. Once in a while its getting liquid fertilizer or 2 spoons pure salt instead of foliar spray.  

I marked the new but smaller 2 leafs and they are growing and getting wider. The marking is almost 2 centimeter higher now then the moment i did take the photo.

Not a lot of sun here, but its standing in front of a south window and its doing fine.

Friends gave me this palm in november 2018 as a present and while the smallest leafs turned brown (i did cut them off) because of transportation stress, the palm stabilized quickly. 

The brown spots on the new, but growing leafs are the results of cold drafts so i moved it to the south window and the spots didnt became bigger.

Room temperature is aproxx. 21.5 degrees Celcius day and night. (Floor heating system)

My soil: (fast draining, translated to English)

This palm potting soil is mixed with more than 15 different components such as with different types of osmocote (21-7-21 + trace elements) 12-14 months slow release and even pumicestone (4-8mm) for permeability and minerals. PH 5.5. This soil does not have to be supplied with fertilizer in the coming 16 months.

D1195D89-9F72-4D57-A9D7-44C5512218BC.jpeg

ED907EF3-DBEE-4B8C-B496-537B5D220638.jpeg

34E6BAF9-B1E3-4A90-A553-83CAF27F4177.jpeg

ECE5547A-011D-4199-8954-6CD22933C266.jpeg

Welcome to palmtalk!  I have another coconut popping and I try my new soil mix 

It’s sucks because I have a few mistakes with last few cocos and I won’t have a decent one for outside this summer. I went. Back to the kiwi grower on you tube again. Which was my original i inspiration to do this. Two mistakes I’ve made this last few months. I never covered the roots with moist paper towel and waited too long to put in spill those are two things I got right with my original coconut but not with the last bunch. So we try again 

2 hours ago, Rickybobby said:

It’s sucks because I have a few mistakes with last few cocos and I won’t have a decent one for outside this summer. I went. Back to the kiwi grower on you tube again. Which was my original i inspiration to do this. Two mistakes I’ve made this last few months. I never covered the roots with moist paper towel and waited too long to put in spill those are two things I got right with my original coconut but not with the last bunch. So we try again 

Good luck/break a leg! I know the feeling. Right now I can't even get BASIL to sprout, of all things. :violin: I keep thanking God and knocking on wood regarding my hardy fig.  I pulled the heating pad from the basil seeds last night (they are crap seeds, anyhow) and gave it to the cocos in my own last-ditch effort to keep it alive till it's warm enough to stick it out in the sunshine. If it fails to survive, I probably won't bother with cocos again till we have those greenhouse conditions my FI promised all set and ready to go.  I'll still stumble stubbornly along the path of the date trees, though.... 

Do you have a kiwi tree? What other plants do you keep around? 

9 hours ago, RaychHasDatePalms said:

Good luck/break a leg! I know the feeling. Right now I can't even get BASIL to sprout, of all things. :violin: I keep thanking God and knocking on wood regarding my hardy fig.  I pulled the heating pad from the basil seeds last night (they are crap seeds, anyhow) and gave it to the cocos in my own last-ditch effort to keep it alive till it's warm enough to stick it out in the sunshine. If it fails to survive, I probably won't bother with cocos again till we have those greenhouse conditions my FI promised all set and ready to go.  I'll still stumble stubbornly along the path of the date trees, though.... 

Do you have a kiwi tree? What other plants do you keep around? 

Adonidia 

saw palmetto

phoenix roebellini 

trachycarpus fortunei 

sabal minor and palmetto 

butia yatay

areca vestiaria 

dypsis lutescens 

Phoenix dadtylifera

wodyetia bificurta 

hyophorbe lagonacaulis 

phtychosperma elegans

washingtonia filabusta/ robusta 

chameleons humilis

bismarkia nobilis

Syagrus romanzoffiana

cocothrinax crinita 

im probably missing a few  most of these I’ve had around a year since seed all doing well 

1 hour ago, Rickybobby said:

Adonidia 

saw palmetto

phoenix roebellini 

trachycarpus fortunei 

sabal minor and palmetto 

butia yatay

areca vestiaria 

dypsis lutescens 

Phoenix dadtylifera

wodyetia bificurta 

hyophorbe lagonacaulis 

phtychosperma elegans

chameleons humilis

bismarkia nobilis

Syagrus romanzoffiana

cocothrinax crinita 

im probably missing a few  most of these I’ve had around a year since seed all doing well 

No Beccariophoenix? They’re nice to have tho. 

A3FE7408-3A01-4CB1-84B8-729847080978.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MelvinB said:

No Beccariophoenix? They’re nice to have tho. 

A3FE7408-3A01-4CB1-84B8-729847080978.jpeg

Beauty ! Is it planted in pure clay pebbles? If so how often do you water?

44 minutes ago, Rickybobby said:

Beauty ! Is it planted in pure clay pebbles? If so how often do you water?

No, in the same fast draining soil as my coconut.

Clay pebbles are just for show.

Every 2 weeks a good watering. Once in a while some foliar spray or liquid fertilizer. 

14 hours ago, Rickybobby said:

Adonidia 

saw palmetto

phoenix roebellini 

trachycarpus fortunei 

sabal minor and palmetto 

butia yatay

areca vestiaria 

dypsis lutescens 

Phoenix dadtylifera

wodyetia bificurta 

hyophorbe lagonacaulis 

phtychosperma elegans

chameleons humilis

bismarkia nobilis

Syagrus romanzoffiana

cocothrinax crinita 

Okay, but you knew I was going to ask to see your phoenix dactylifera. ;)

54 minutes ago, RaychHasDatePalms said:

15 hours ago, Rickybobby said:

Adonidia 

saw palmetto

phoenix roebellini 

trachycarpus fortunei 

sabal minor and palmetto 

butia yatay

areca vestiaria 

dypsis lutescens 

Phoenix dadtylifera

wodyetia bificurta 

hyophorbe lagonacaulis 

phtychosperma elegans

chameleons humilis

bismarkia nobilis

Syagrus romanzoffiana

cocothrinax crinita 

Oh and also, how does growing the phtychosperma elegans compare to coconuts and dates? 

20 hours ago, RaychHasDatePalms said:

Ok here they are middle and right rows all my first ever germinated palms from seed. Store bought. Exactly a year old now perfectly healthy  enjoy 

F5A1DC8B-19AA-403D-8B80-58EA5A92423E.jpeg

• Like 1

19 hours ago, RaychHasDatePalms said:

Oh and also, how does growing the phtychosperma elegans compare to coconuts and dates? 

My solitaire palm I. Brought the seeds home from jamiaca germinated around last May. So it’s 10 months old and tiny. It looks like a young dypsis lutescens but smaller. Meaning it’s really slow growing at this stage. I do have a 5 gallon pot with 3 larger ones in it. They’ve been ok. Just ok the nursery shade grew them and the fronds were so stretched that in high winds here a bunch snapped off. This premature loss of fronds caused a few issues. First a ton of crownshafts that we’re not ready to die and fresh spears coming through had a tough time. I had some rot. If you try and clean up nice and green crownshatfs and take them off it causes huge strain to the palm. Usually the new spears split the old crownshatfs and you can peel them off. So I’m hoping this year my non stretched fronds do better and the palm recovers well

25 minutes ago, Rickybobby said:

Ok here they are middle and right rows all my first ever germinated palms from seed. Store bought. Exactly a year old now perfectly healthy  enjoy 

F5A1DC8B-19AA-403D-8B80-58EA5A92423E.jpeg

Really nice! I have one Phoenix Canariensis germinated from seed picked up from Tenerife. 2 months old now. (On the right a Trachycarpus germinated from seed also from Tenerife, same age) 

DC24C02B-01D7-4DB1-93E9-073B1292B882.jpeg

Edited by MelvinB
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MelvinB said:

Really nice! I have one Phoenix Canariensis germinated from seed picked up from Tenerife. 2 months old now. (On the right a Trachycarpus germinated from seed also from Tenerife, same age) 

DC24C02B-01D7-4DB1-93E9-073B1292B882.jpeg

Nice looks good!

on the far left is Washingtonia filabusta and far right is wodyetia bifurcata 

• Like 1

On 3/20/2019 at 5:15 PM, Rickybobby said:

My solitaire palm I. Brought the seeds home from jamiaca germinated around last May. So it’s 10 months old and tiny. It looks like a young dypsis lutescens but smaller. Meaning it’s really slow growing at this stage. I do have a 5 gallon pot with 3 larger ones in it. They’ve been ok. Just ok the nursery shade grew them and the fronds were so stretched that in high winds here a bunch snapped off. This premature loss of fronds caused a few issues. First a ton of crownshafts that we’re not ready to die and fresh spears coming through had a tough time. I had some rot. If you try and clean up nice and green crownshatfs and take them off it causes huge strain to the palm. Usually the new spears split the old crownshatfs and you can peel them off. So I’m hoping this year my non stretched fronds do better and the palm recovers well

Ouch, good luck! Your dates look amazing, though! 

• 2 weeks later...

New picture taken 30 min. ago. 

The 2 visible “V-leafs” are certainly growing wider/bigger. 

No problems so far, even it hasn’t sun every day. 

76039EE4-C986-4D81-B955-8E5FBB585647.jpeg

• Like 1