IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cocos nucifera indoor winter experiments

Rickybobby

1 hour ago, Aleitalyyy said:

how many hours of direct sunlight does it take? I'm talking about direct sun on the leaves ....

Being forever indoors the UV is negligible, but in a south-facing window it receives full sunlight, so there's plenty of photosynthesis.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Moved my coco Indoors for the winter.  She/he was planted by a sprouted nut when I lived on Maui and planted when I moved to Phoenix AZ.  After 2.5 years of growth, I think this is the last winter I’ll be able to keep her indoors.  She survived record heat this summer and fussy when she doesn’t get enough water.  

I bought a much larger container to plant her/him in.  Anyone have recommendations for when the best time Of year to repot and fertilize? 

A9D9C2F7-8622-4659-98E5-00563EC41866.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

16 hours ago, ando.wsu said:

Moved my coco Indoors for the winter.  She/he was planted by a sprouted nut when I lived on Maui and planted when I moved to Phoenix AZ.  After 2.5 years of growth, I think this is the last winter I’ll be able to keep her indoors.  She survived record heat this summer and fussy when she doesn’t get enough water.  

I bought a much larger container to plant her/him in.  Anyone have recommendations for when the best time Of year to repot and fertilize? 

A9D9C2F7-8622-4659-98E5-00563EC41866.jpeg

Looks great. Repot and fertilize just before the growing season starts. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

While my personal success with coconut palms isn't great I do know of two examples of success that I would like to share.

I believe both(one for sure) coconuts were at the sprouting stage when planted in their pots.

First example is from Kansas where collector of palms had one that spent summers outside and winter inside. Owner set pot on heated germination mat in front of sunny window and gave it steady water and it grew just fine. Looked beautiful for a few years but lost it to spider mite infestation.

Second example is from a retail tire store that I call on for my job. Owner brought back a sprouted nut from Florida and planted it in a 1/2 whiskey barrel and in the summer would roll it outside in front of his store that faced the East and back inside at night and during the winter. This coconut did GREAT and got to the point in height that it couldn't be moved easily so spent it's entire time INSIDE the store.  I was amazed at how well it did since in the winter it was always very cool in the tire showroom (60's)   It was easily over 8ft tall

I think a lot has to do with each Coconut and it's genetics. Also, I think it helps to start them early and not buy a well sprouted nut.

• Upvote 1

@sashaefferhello I often read that many people lose their coconut plants due to spiders and mites .. I usually spray poison on coconut and citrus fruits ... I don't understand why people don't use poison?

• 3 months later...

Mine is still going strong. It pushes a new spear while the other new spear hasn’t fully openend yet. 

On the photo’s, the Cocos was outside for a few hours before the temperature drops. It isn’t summer yet here in The Netherlands.

8ECC59A6-6F56-4F7E-BDAF-C6E0024277E8.jpeg

A3ADE0DA-8D3D-4CFF-9861-DC0425380576.jpeg

54AD94D9-42A7-4811-89A6-8A9375D852E1.jpeg

0F14D32B-B8F6-451B-8AEE-47D7D9C7777E.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well, just thinking after looking at the last pic, 

Man, you have a bald head, big muscles a lovely Geranium and a coconut that needs potting up.  :laugh2:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

1 hour ago, gtsteve said:

Well, just thinking after looking at the last pic, 

Man, you have a bald head, big muscles a lovely Geranium and a coconut that needs potting up.  :laugh2:

:D:D:D

• Like 1

Greetings, Luís

4 hours ago, gtsteve said:

Beh, solo pensando dopo aver guardato l'ultima foto, 

Amico, hai una testa calva, grandi muscoli, un bel geranio e una noce di cocco che ha bisogno di essere messa in vaso.  : ridere2:

hahahah muscles maybe ahaha .... now I wait for him to throw 2 more spears and towards mid-June with the increase in heat, I change the pot yes yes

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally back on the right foot.  Managed to eradicate spider mites eating my coconut alive.  Newest frond is looking healthy and not getting brown tips while pushing  

C0136AA1-AB82-444E-8A40-3DFAB71A0BE0.jpeg

A5CBBA6B-DEF4-443C-A973-231B12B0F0C1.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

183357021_10100378419391996_456280966815

Hey guys, I'm back after a year straight of covid and college on top of family... sorry I went MIA for so long. 

I have been wanting to show you guys the coconut palm that Not A TA sent me last year as just a little sprig. It's been doing amazing up here in Michigan, and I am so proud of it for surviving the winter!! 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It’s getting boring, but new leaf is coming while the previous leaf hasn’t fully opened yet. 

Autumn is coming, so the days the Cocos could be outside are almost over. 

637EE645-1553-4B99-B784-A6CC1A60F799.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...

@MelvinB Hi dear I see that your coconut is bent a lot ... is it not that it has roots outside considering that the nut covers this defect? my coconut was out until 10 October ... here in Liguria the minimums are at 14 ° and the max at 20 ° ... I wanted not to risk ... here is the big boy who continues his growth at home .. . a greeting

20211014_170208.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aleitalyyy said:

@MelvinB Hi dear I see that your coconut is bent a lot ... is it not that it has roots outside considering that the nut covers this defect? my coconut was out until 10 October ... here in Liguria the minimums are at 14 ° and the max at 20 ° ... I wanted not to risk ... here is the big boy who continues his growth at home .. . a greeting

20211014_170208.jpg

No, it was top heavy and growing to the light. Most of the new leaves are upright tho. It’s getting a curve and that it makes a Cocos Nucifera right? ;)

Edited by MelvinB
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 13/11/2021 at 15:37, MelvinB said:

hello dear .. yes me too I water 2 times a month .. instead the alfredii does not want to take off, and always small and stunted ... i don't know what i'm wrong with alfredii

Edited by Aleitalyyy

On 11/17/2021 at 10:05 AM, Aleitalyyy said:

16371398176055145552740033531970.jpg

16371398452683839146311945429913.jpg

It’s pretty yellow. Is it in fast draining soil with drainage holes in container?

• Upvote 1

yes draining earth mixed with soil for succulents and river sand ... super draining pot ... and always been yellow since she was little ... and always fertilized with liquid fertilizers, it has the same care as the coconut that goes to the great...

1 hour ago, Aleitalyyy said:

yes draining earth mixed with soil for succulents and river sand ... super draining pot ... and always been yellow since she was little ... and always fertilized with liquid fertilizers, it has the same care as the coconut that goes to the great...

Did you try a magnesium fertilizer? 
it looks like it has a magnesium deficiency. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Aleitalyyy said:

If it's been yellow since it was little, you might just have a genetically-unlucky individual. I germinated a number of lychee seeds a year or so ago, and most grew up normally and are pretty healthy and robust (woody stems now), but one was always yellow, thin and sickly-looking. All were in identical conditions and soil. It's still just about surviving, but it's clearly the runt of the litter and I don't have high hopes for its longevity.

I have an alfie in a similar stage to yours (bifid), and it's in a much smaller pot, but rather taller, much bigger/longer leaves (if I'm judging the size of your window correctly) and pretty dark green despite getting good light. I think your alfie might just be a runt, and if you got another one or more, you might not see these problems.

• Like 1

On 11/21/2021 at 6:46 AM, Aleitalyyy said:

You must change that mix. It is not holding nutrients. Use orchid bark, coco peat, perlite and crushed babek clay.

• Upvote 1

Greetings, Luís

thanks guys for your opinions and advice ... I put a photo of how it looked at the end of winter ... I'll try with different fertilizers .... let's hope it changes and grows with the new season 2022 .. a hug

Screenshot_20211124-230618_Gallery.jpg

18 hours ago, Aleitalyyy said:

Beautiful coconut. Is the banana in the same soil mix as the alfie? Bananas are very heavy feeders, and if there was a nutrient problem with your mix I think the banana would be the first to show it, and wouldn't look as healthy as it does. The photos I've seen of B. alfredii in the wild show pretty rocky/gravelly terrain, not something very rich in organics, so I still think that it seems quite probable your specimen just has some unlucky mutation. You could try seramis or crushed leca in your mix to improve nutrient retention whilst retaining good drainage. You could also try introducing a slow-release fertiliser like osmocote, in case your liquid feed is somehow unbalanced or is getting washed away too quickly.

• Upvote 1

This is my coco almost one year since last post.  Getting massive. Temps have been warm and probably be outside all winter.  Palm is now too tall to bring inside. 

F6B8EA62-91D7-44D2-8627-8414FD596835.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

@PalmsandLiszt 

yes the banana tree (dwarf orinoco) it is in the same mixture as the coconut ... they are very well ... the coconut grows at the rate of 1cm per day ... I would like to try with losmocote I already had this idea ... I would like to fertilize all my plants with granular. .. will probably be the next step that I take for all ... here is the coconut today enjoying some sun ...

16380051261654800315466640341462.jpg

16380051407628024822174423462766.jpg

16380051610977191819238083127876.jpg

16380051806547200450211545154870.jpg

If the banana's in the same soil as the alfie, I don't think there can possibly be a nutrients issue. No way a banana would keep so many leaves if it were lacking any essential nutrient. They grow like nobody's business. You have fine light, temperature and water; get another alfie, and I suspect it will do fine (unless you're extremely unlucky).

Coconuts are rather finicky indoors but yours looks almost flawless; alfies are tolerant of all sorts of things that coconuts hate; they should thrive in this situation.

Edited by PalmsandLiszt
  • Like 1

@PalmsandLiszt hello bro

yes at home I have about 18/20 degrees celsius ... coconut like alfie and banana go out in May until mid-October ... coconut has grown a lot this summer ... it stupid me ... but it grows even at home indoors ... at home it only gets 2 hours of sun in the morning ... while outside I left the pineapples, lemons and other plants that resist cool weather well ... here in Liguria in Italy, temperatures on the sea in January they can reach a minimum of 2/3 degrees celsius at most ... the coconut that everyone finds great difficulty in growing I find that in my case it is the palm that grows best for me ... with great ease ... ( to give you an example, coconut grows more easily than a lemon tree) my coconut is 2 years old! this summer I planted one out on the sea in a concrete pot where it stays for the winter too ... it's an experiment that I want to see how long it lasts ... I put a photo of the coconut outdoors on November 20, 2021 !

20211120_112032.jpg

20211120_112029.jpg

On 11/28/2021 at 1:16 PM, Jubutia said:

Sorry for the bad quality pics... These are Dwarf Malay Gold.  With bottom heat and extra lights

IMG_4322.jpg

Those are fine-looking indoor coconuts. Out of interest, what are the blue cycads in the background?

• Like 1

Thank you. The blue cycads are Encephalartos eugene maraisii and lehmannii Kirkwood just behind the coconuts. But also others like the normal lehmannii, trispinosus, princeps and some hybrids. Also Macrozamia  macdonnellii. I keep them indoors in wintertime. I like the blue ones of cycads and the colorful green orange Coconut.

IMG_4355.jpg

IMG_4357.jpg

IMG_4359.jpg

IMG_4360.jpg

IMG_4364.jpg

IMG_4362.jpg

IMG_4363.jpg

• Like 1

@Jubutiahello dear your coconuts are beautiful ... orange quality that I have been looking for for a long time, but unfortunately here in Italy the yellows and the oranges are nowhere to be found ... and I don't understand why ... where did you find them? ebay?

On 11/26/2021 at 8:33 PM, ando.wsu said:

This is my coco almost one year since last post.  Getting massive. Temps have been warm and probably be outside all winter.  Palm is now too tall to bring inside. 

F6B8EA62-91D7-44D2-8627-8414FD596835.jpeg

@ando.wsu what type of potting soil are you using for your coconut?

• Like 1