IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Zone 10 Palms in the Orlando Area Mega Thread

palmsOrl

2 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

I got my coconuts (other than my Green Malayan) from Calusa Palms: http://www.calusapalmsnursery.com/ShowSchedule.html

The above link will give you the show schedule for them.  If you want Marc (the owner) to bring specific types of coconuts, it's probably best to email or call, have them reserved, and then arrange to pick up at one of the shows.  The email and phone are available here: http://www.calusapalmsnursery.com/contact.html

Nice! Thanks. :) 

• Upvote 1

Former South Florida resident living in the Greater Orlando Area, zone 9b.

Constantly wishing I could still grow zone 10 palms worry-free, but also trying to appease my strange fixation with Washingtonias. 

1 hour ago, chad2468emr said:

Both of these are encouraging! Particularly yours, Nick. I know you had some real frigid temps this year so good to see that your efforts to protect paid off with a living palm! Central FL overall didn’t have a mild winter by any means so both instances make me happy, though. 

Are certain coconut species more tolerant of cold than others? I have what’s some variant of a Malayan dwarf. I think I’ve heard these are some of the least cold tolerant so I may be keeping mine potted and experimenting with some regular ol greens in-ground in the future. 

Agree with others...Talls seem most cold tolerant. The I-drive coconut is a tall and it typically has less damage each winter than mine. Mine is a Malayan. I got it back in 2015 from Jungle Jim's on Goldenrod. 

Edited by pj_orlando_z9b
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, pj_orlando_z9b said:

Agree with others...Talls seem most cold tolerant. The I-drive coconut is a tall and it typically has less damage each winter than mine. Mine is a Malayan. I got it back in 2015 from Jungle Jim's on Goldenrod. 

Do you mean jungle jacks? I tried finding something along those lines just now and could only come across “Jungle Jack’s Bamboo Nursery” on goldenrod and aloma. The bamboo portion of the name always made me overlook the place. 

• Upvote 1

Constantly wishing I could still grow zone 10 palms worry-free, but also trying to appease my strange fixation with Washingtonias. 

58 minutes ago, chad2468emr said:

Do you mean jungle jacks? I tried finding something along those lines just now and could only come across “Jungle Jack’s Bamboo Nursery” on goldenrod and aloma. The bamboo portion of the name always made me overlook the place. 

Oops, I'm thinking of a bar I know :D. Its Green Jungle Nursery just up Goldenrod from Lee Vista. By LA Fitness. I belive they're temporarily closed. Might be a seasonal thing. 

Brentwood Nursery is good too. Their coconuts are often large and a couple hundred dollars. 

Edited by pj_orlando_z9b
  • Upvote 1

Here is an update on the Coconut down the street from me in my neighborhood. This is in Altamonte Springs, about 12 miles north of downtown Orlando. It has held fruit all winter. 

DSC_3381~3.JPG

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

• 2 weeks later...

A couple very healthy and robust specimens of Wodyetia bifurcata in Orlando a few blocks from Leu Gardens.

DSC_3764~2.JPG

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

An Ikea Orlando majesty palm, via my cell phone.  They regularly sell them as parlor palms, and a year or two after the store had opened, a couple were planted as part of a display of summer furniture, or something of the sort.  They stayed.  

194DD550-4984-4FD1-8F74-7962E0DB40E9.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

Eric, those big Orlando Wodyetias near Leu Gardens are a reminder that the foxtail is a pretty large palm.  I keep seeing them planted in tight spaces.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2021 at 9:33 PM, Dave-Vero said:

An Ikea Orlando majesty palm, via my cell phone.  They regularly sell them as parlor palms, and a year or two after the store had opened, a couple were planted as part of a display of summer furniture, or something of the sort.  They stayed.  

I always photograph that palm when I visit. I remember it barely had trunk just 8 years ago. That is a classic specimen and proof they don't need to be near a water source. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Bought this areca vestiaria red from MB yesterday. I plan to pot given it is quite cold sensitive. Curious though whether anybody has experimented with them in Central FL?

20210313_215644.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 3/11/2021 at 9:38 PM, Dave-Vero said:

Eric, those big Orlando Wodyetias near Leu Gardens are a reminder that the foxtail is a pretty large palm.  I keep seeing them planted in tight spaces.

They do get to about queen palm size. Everyone thinks they are a skinny palm when they buy and plant them since mass market nursery grown specimens are grown crowded and close. Once they get growing they bulk up unless they are in heavy shade.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

On 3/14/2021 at 12:46 PM, pj_orlando_z9b said:

Curious though whether anybody has experimented with them in Central FL?

I have a pot of vestiaria (which I also got from MB, haha) though I think mine are orange. There are four in the pot, but I’m not sure mine are the actual clumping variety. Since I keep them in pots I’m not sure how much insight I can really offer on cold hardiness as it pertains to our area, but in the single summer + winter I’ve had them, they’ve each put out 3 new leaves and are only picking up in speed now with the warmth. I take them in when nights fall below 50, but have left them if it’s only one night and it’s only falling into the high 40’s. Had to repot mid winter because they were really rootbound. I water when just about dry and in the winter I was putting them on a shelf in my shower when I would give my c. renda its 3x weekly steamy shower and they seemed to really enjoy the extra warmth + humidity from it. 

August 2020:

10E69150-EC60-40EE-BCEE-FA664F58C521.thumb.jpeg.083615631c0804f7e2d64b49ff7f496b.jpeg

March 2021:

3F9E0908-8533-4A60-B51A-82639C7CE2BC.thumb.jpeg.03a1d59d002e863c5863e475900c2936.jpeg

0EEEAA8C-C2C6-4E96-9FAD-7349F8ED9C5F.thumb.jpeg.7cc1dc1f1dd9d021a62521a02c3efff7.jpeg

Edited by chad2468emr
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I know these don’t get a lot of love, since the babies are sold as common annuals at every big box store, but come on......  they look great when they fatten up!   How can you not love them in the ground.  

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

I chuckle when I see this and the cat palms next to them every time I’m there because they sell them and they clearly stuck them into the ground from their own stock, but I also marvel at it.

Majesties are underrated. I avoided getting one because they were so common place, but during my brief stint out of Florida I caved and bought one from a big box store. It has honestly proven to be bullet proof and survived a dry dark winter in New Hampshire and a cross-country move back to FL where it’s been flourishing since last summer. I never moved it in once all winter and it never even seemed to hint at not being able to handle a fairly colder than average 9b winter.   

Last May in New Hampshire: 

B623054D-F24D-4483-AB16-1267C437BEAF.thumb.jpeg.7948117afecac796dabf46ae0b7ed6a1.jpeg

Today: 

079DF326-AA31-4879-BD69-48D985336A16.thumb.jpeg.43321643404e3bf063cd4f2c38a64d9b.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, chad2468emr said:

I have a pot of vestiaria (which I also got from MB, haha) though I think mine are orange. There are four in the pot, but I’m not sure mine are the actual clumping variety. Since I keep them in pots I’m not sure how much insight I can really offer on cold hardiness as it pertains to our area, but in the single summer + winter I’ve had them, they’ve each put out 3 new leaves and are only picking up in speed now with the warmth. I take them in when nights fall below 50, but have left them if it’s only one night and it’s only falling into the high 40’s. Had to repot mid winter because they were really rootbound. I water when just about dry and in the winter I was putting them on a shelf in my shower when I would give my c. renda its 3x weekly steamy shower and they seemed to really enjoy the extra warmth + humidity from it. 

Looks great. I read more than 1 person from Vero and Ft Myers say their area so too sensitive for them. Others had success. I believe there is one at Leu that's been there several winters but it has a canopy. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

My majesties are slowing growing but moving along. The first almost died in the 2018 freeze but is recovering. The bottom was planted 2019 after I lost the other in 2018. 

20210317_114854_copy_1512x1512.jpg

20210317_114910_copy_1512x1512.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Bought this areca vestiaria red from MB yesterday. I plan to pot given it is quite cold sensitive. Curious though whether anybody has experimented with them in Central FL?

I haven't tried Areca Vestiaria, but I checked Kinzyjr's spreadsheet.  It showed death at 29F in Orlando (Leu Gardens) and death in Cape Coral at 28.5F (PalmatierMeg).  Both were during the January 2010 extended cold front.  At some point I'll try Areca Triandra, but since I'm a few degrees colder than Leu Gardens I probably won't try Vestiaria.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, chad2468emr said:

Majesties are underrated. 

Yes, they are VERY underrated. There are a number of mature majesties in my community and they look really nice. Here's an example. 

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

14 hours ago, RedRabbit said:

Yes, they are VERY underrated. There are a number of mature majesties in my community and they look really nice. Here's an example. 

Whaaaaaaaat, I actually thought those were coconuts at first glance! I don’t think I’ve ever actually seen a majesty get tall enough to lose the oblong trunk. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

20210313_215644.jpg

There's a non-red form at Leu Gardens. I can't remember if the red form is more sensitive or not:

IMG_3032.jpg

Edited by cobra2326
  • Upvote 1

Jon

Brooksville, FL 9a

On 3/17/2021 at 5:16 AM, Looking Glass said:

I know these don’t get a lot of love, since the babies are sold as common annuals at every big box store, but come on......  they look great when they fatten up!   How can you not love them in the ground.  

Majesty palms should be used more in central Florida as long as they are fertilized and watered well. If you have a wet spot in your yard in central Florida, give one a try. I have a couple growing in low spots in my yard that are fattening up and growing great. Both unfazed by the cold in 2018 here. They are slow to get going but seem to pick up speed. 

• Upvote 1

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

58 minutes ago, ruskinPalms said:

Majesty palms should be used more in central Florida as long as they are fertilized and watered well. If you have a wet spot in your yard in central Florida, give one a try. I have a couple growing in low spots in my yard that are fattening up and growing great. Both unfazed by the cold in 2018 here. They are slow to get going but seem to pick up speed. 

I'm more in South Florida and it's plenty wet during the rainy season, and I have irrigation for the dry season, but my soil is alkaline beach sand mostly.   I'd put one in yesterday if the soil was anything else.  I love how they look in early adulthood and beyond.  I don't recall ever seeing one in my area.  That's usually a hint for me, especially with cheap, common palms.  

I've got 3 big pots of them out back by the pool.  They doubled in size in the 1st 9 months out there.  We will see how they do this year in the sun and heat.    I'm tempted to put one in the ground just to see what happens.  If only I had the black, muck soil that is just 15 minutes west of here.....    

Mine have problems with a little yellowing from a lot of sun, and too mild a soil mix.   I remixed an acidic, rich mix and repotted them in that and they responded well to that, and shade.  Now I've moved them back to full sun to see if they lose that deep green again.   They also seem to be a mealy bug magnet.   They don't kill them, but I imagine mealies slow them down a little.   If a snail makes the trek up the three foot tall pot, they munch a lot of leaves before I find them too.    

Still, I like these box store beauties once they start adding trunk....

• Upvote 1

The Vero Beach outlet mall had two tall, thriving majesties in front of the Restoration Hardware store.  They were inexplicably chainsawed.  The Art Museum has smaller ones in front.  They'd be happier if by a pond.

• Upvote 1

Majesty is more of a 9a/9b palm. They even grow as far as Georgia.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Nothing to say here. 

My red and orange specimens have done fine even down to 39 degrees in my shadehouse.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

On 3/21/2021 at 10:24 AM, EastCanadaTropicals said:

Majesty is more of a 9a/9b palm. They even grow as far as Georgia.

I had one die at 28F and the other severely burned. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
15 hours ago, pj_orlando_z9b said:

Coconuts at Kaley and Orange 

Look great especially coming out of this cool winter!

• Upvote 1

On 4/18/2021 at 1:36 AM, pj_orlando_z9b said:

20210414_210516.jpg

I always see those. Often when I’m driving over to City Oasis on Mills because palms are far from my only plant addiction - haha! That stone and all that pavement plus being so close to the city center definitely help them out. 

I didn’t grab a pic, but I drove past a 20+ foot tall (counting the fronds) coconut on university Blvd east bound on the right side of the road somewhere between goldenrod and rouse. It looked healthy and it was big and I could see it over a community wall. I was surprised to see one so tall so far NE from the city center!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

20210313_215644.jpg

I've got two in the ground. Did fine through the winter even though we saw quite a few nights in the mid 30s. I did wrap them in Christmas lights and threw a sheet over them most nights, although not all. They didn't blink... No damage whatsoever.

• Upvote 1

Saturday I came across this young Dictyosperma album growing south of Clermont along the north shore of Lake Louisa. There was a good sized Roystonea regia down the road in a newer subdivision.

DSC_4468~3.JPG

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

52 minutes ago, Eric in Orlando said:

Saturday I came across this young Dictyosperma album growing south of Clermont along the north shore of Lake Louisa. There was a good sized Roystonea regia down the road in a newer subdivision.

Nice! One of my favs that I still somehow don't have my hands on. 

I was running errands the other day and I happened across the Smash Burger coconuts that everyone always checks up on. Checked to see if they had dropped any coconuts that I could germinate, but sadly, no. :crying:

Its wild how excited I get to stumble across a palm species that was planted every 60 feet or so in any direction when I lived in South Florida....  My, how a single zone's difference can change things hahaha. 

132433076_ImagefromiOS(44).thumb.jpg.294340be8f751d2b7d01992442d6fe21.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Eric in Orlando said:

DSC_4468~3.JPG

Is that a Phoenix rupricola to the left of the D. album?

11 hours ago, palmsOrl said:

Is that a Phoenix rupricola to the left of the D. album?

No, just a skinny hybrid.

• Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

• 3 weeks later...

This Adonidia on the east side of Lake Highland and is one of the few survivors around here from the 2009-10 winter. It originally was in a triple specimen planting and was the only survivor. It was stunted for awhile but grew out.

DSC_5073~2.JPG

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

A house on the south side of Lake Highland with a couple Dypsis leptocheilos and Archontophoenix alexandrae. Looking at streetview, they look like they were planted around 2012.

DSC_5070~2.JPG

DSC_5072~2.JPG

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

On 4/18/2021 at 1:36 AM, pj_orlando_z9b said:

20210414_210516.jpg

I was by there today and there are four Coconut palms there now.  One is much smaller and looks like it was added recently.  The two original ones are getting large.  I don't think they sustained any setback at all over the past winter...

• Upvote 2

Winter Springs (Orlando area), Florida

Zone 9b/10a

On 4/26/2021 at 11:57 AM, chad2468emr said:

Nice! One of my favs that I still somehow don't have my hands on. 

I was running errands the other day and I happened across the Smash Burger coconuts that everyone always checks up on. Checked to see if they had dropped any coconuts that I could germinate, but sadly, no. :crying:

Its wild how excited I get to stumble across a palm species that was planted every 60 feet or so in any direction when I lived in South Florida....  My, how a single zone's difference can change things hahaha. 

132433076_ImagefromiOS(44).thumb.jpg.294340be8f751d2b7d01992442d6fe21.jpg

I had a lot of work done outside over the past year and EVERY contractor...5 of them...commented on my coconut.  The most common was 'it is so nice to see something unique. Everybody has the same landscape'. Lol. One guy was from Jamaica and said it reminded him of home. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, pj_orlando_z9b said:

One guy was from Jamaica and said it reminded him of home. 

With how much I miss south Florida, I legitimately think I’d tear up if someone said that to me and tell them it reminds me of home too. Haha!!