IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Zone 10 Palms in the Orlando Area Mega Thread

palmsOrl

A really tall Ravenea rivularis near the Manatee exhibit,

DSC_0090~2.JPG

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

The 2 remaining Cocos nucifera (looks to be 'Green Malayan') by the dolphin lagoon in the Key West area. These survived the 2009-10 winter. The first one is getting very tall but is in an open public area so the fruit is removed. The 2nd is in a jungle berm behind the entrance of the underwater dolphin viewing area. It is bearing a crop of coconuts. On the tall one you can see the area of the trunk that corresponds with damage from 2009-10.

DSC_5986~2.JPG

DSC_5987~2.JPG

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Roystonea regia near the fruiting Coconut, and Archontophoenix alexandrae with Livistona nitida  by the dolphin lagoon. 

DSC_0091~2.JPG

DSC_0100~2.JPG

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

2 very robust Roystonea regia 

DSC_0142~2.JPG

DSC_0140~2.JPG

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

There is LOTS of Wodyetia bifurcata planted around SeaWorld, here are a few.

DSC_0135~2.JPG

DSC_0086~2.JPG

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

A pair of Chambeyronia macrocarpa growing on the berm of the Dolphin Stadium. These have been there for at least 15 years maybe 20. There are also some more recently planted Veitchia arecina nearby. 

DSC_0105~2.JPG

DSC_0120~2.JPG

DSC_0104~2.JPG

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

A very robust Dypsis decaryi by the Dolphin Stadium. There is also lots of maturing Dypsis lutescens around SeaWorld.

DSC_0073~2.JPG

DSC_0111~2.JPG

DSC_0032~2.JPG

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

More Archontophoenix alexandrae scattered around SeaWorld, here is a few...

DSC_0038~2.JPG

DSC_0034~2.JPG

DSC_5989~2.JPG

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Lots of zone 10 palms in SeaWorld's Infinity Falls river raft ride area, it opened a couple years ago. There are lots of Kentiopsis oliviformis used as well as Veitchia arecina, Satakentia liukuensis, Wodyetia bifurcta, Ptychosperma macarthurii, Caryota mitis, Adonidia merrillii, Ptychosperma elegans, and Pseudophoenix sargentii. I didn't go on the ride but I could see Licuala peltata var. sumawongii and I think Pinanga coronata. They also used quite a few Copernicia alba, Livistona nitida and Arenga engleri.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Some of the Kentiopsis oliviformis...

DSC_0045~2.JPG

DSC_0070~2.JPG

DSC_0054~2.JPG

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Satakentia liukiuensis and Veitchia arecina

DSC_0068~4.JPG

DSC_0066~2.JPG

DSC_0051~2.JPG

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Ptychosperma elegans and Ptychosperma macarthurii

DSC_0047~2.JPG

DSC_0050~2.JPG

DSC_0048~2.JPG

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

2 hours ago, Eric in Orlando said:

Lots of zone 10 palms in SeaWorld's Infinity Falls river raft ride area, it opened a couple years ago. There are lots of Kentiopsis oliviformis used as well as Veitchia arecina, Satakentia liukuensis, Wodyetia bifurcta, Ptychosperma macarthurii, Caryota mitis, Adonidia merrillii, Ptychosperma elegans, and Pseudophoenix sargentii. I didn't go on the ride but I could see Licuala peltata var. sumawongii and I think Pinanga coronata. They also used quite a few Copernicia alba, Livistona nitida and Arenga engleri.

Looks like Seaworld is the best place in Orlando for palms, after Leu Gardens of course. Thanks for all the pictures. Were you there for leisure or were they consulting with you?

Edited by RedRabbit
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

5 hours ago, RedRabbit said:

Looks like Seaworld is the best place in Orlando for palms, after Leu Gardens of course. Thanks for all the pictures. Were you there for leisure or were they consulting with you?

I was there for leisure!

I need to get over to Aquatica and Discovery Cove and see their plantings, also Volcano Bay and Islands of Adventure.

• Like 2

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

@Eric in Orlando Lots of good stuff!  Thank you for sharing all of those!

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Does anyone know what palm species this is? Found on sidewalk in downtown town Orlando. 

thanks 

326AA0AB-CDD3-4C1C-BCDA-AC0E96D980A0.jpeg

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Fishinsteeg234 said:

Does anyone know what palm species this is? Found on sidewalk in downtown town Orlando. 

thanks 

Looks like a Dypsis leptocheilos.

What street is that?

• Like 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

few more things from SeaWorld...

This Phoenix sylvestris is about the only "original" palm (along with some Sabal palmetto) from when the park opened in 1973. It is growing by the old dolphin feeding pool. I remember looking at it in the early 1980s as a teenager when I first got interested in palms. Back then Phoenix sylvestris was fairly uncommon.

The Bismarckia nobilis at the Dolphin Stadium are the first ones planted at SeaWorld, planted in the early/mid 2000s. They were still just getting to be more commonly used.

DSC_0035~2.JPG

DSC_0116~2.JPG

DSC_0114~2.JPG

• Like 3

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

A huge Arenga engleri and a nice Copernicia alba. Good to see both palms scattered around the park, lots used in the new Infinity Falls area.

DSC_0078~3.JPG

DSC_5968~2.JPG

• Like 2

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Quite a few Ficus benjamina (and F. lyrata) and some Ravenala madagascariensis

DSC_0076~2.JPG

DSC_0079.JPG

DSC_0122~2.JPG

DSC_0097~3.JPG

• Like 2

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

26 minutes ago, Eric in Orlando said:

Looks like a Dypsis leptocheilos.

What street is that?

Hey Eric,

check out Whittier Cir. Let me know what you can confirm. Cool yard specimens.

thanks 

4 minutes ago, Fishinsteeg234 said:

Hey Eric,

check out Whittier Cir. Let me know what you can confirm. Cool yard specimens.

thanks 

Just did a street view. Definitely Dypsis leptocheilos. Looks like they like the tropical look, and Jaguar cars.

• Like 2

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/20/2021 at 5:10 PM, Eric in Orlando said:

More Archontophoenix alexandrae scattered around SeaWorld, here is a few...

DSC_0038~2.JPG

DSC_0034~2.JPG

DSC_5989~2.JPG

Love these palms. Beautiful. There is a nice trio in Belle Isle that got burned bad in 2018 but made a full recovery. 

Screenshot_20210807-175618_Maps.jpg

• Like 2

On 7/21/2021 at 11:27 AM, RedRabbit said:

It is. Some very large royals. Discovery Cove is also uber tropical. Love all the coconuts there. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, pj_orlando_z9b said:

Just an update on my coconut. 

20210806_094402.jpg

So gorgrous. Not sure if it's because of your care, a microclimate or both but you should try planting some more since this pic easily looks like a SoFlo yard!

• Like 1

Been a while since I got to contribute a photo on this thread, but here are some Ptychosperma elegans at the far corner of Lake County.  Earliest I can confirm these is August of 2018 as the carwash was being built in 2017:

20210808_140410.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

1 hour ago, kinzyjr said:

Been a while since I got to contribute a photo on this thread, but here are some Ptychosperma elegans at the far corner of Lake County.  Earliest I can confirm these is August of 2018 as the carwash was being built in 2017:

20210808_140410.jpg

I’m not optimistic about those long term, but there are some P. elegans in a similar situation in Carrollwood that survived the 2018 freeze okay. I think being surrounded by pavement must help quite a bit.

Edited by RedRabbit
  • Like 1

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

12 hours ago, chinandega81 said:

So gorgrous. Not sure if it's because of your care, a microclimate or both but you should try planting some more since this pic easily looks like a SoFlo yard!

I am off of a large lake but I also wrapped the trunk in 2018 with the freeze. Lost the crown. 

• Like 1

I came across these Roystonea regia and a Hyophorbe lagenicaulis back in the Springs Landing in Longwood. This is west of I4 and north of 434 off of Markham Woods Rd., not the warmest microclimate. Streetview goes back to 2011 and they are present then but severely burned after the 2009-10 and 2010-11 winters. Theres a house up the road along Markham Woods with some large Royals, I need to get a pic of those.

DSC_0415~3.JPG

DSC_0414~3.JPG

DSC_0417~2.JPG

• Like 4

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

• 2 weeks later...

I'm seeing more and more coconut palms being planted and surviving (for now) in north Seminole and SW Volusia counties. First picture is from DeBary FL, and the second is from Lake Mary right off of 46-A. Both trees are starting to trunk.

IMG_4016.jpg

IMG_4022.jpg

• Like 7

I found a few Roystonea in Longwood this week, off E Lake Ave. I’m not sure how long they have been around, but it’s good to see these in the area. I live just a few miles away, and have planted several this past year in my yard with hopes for a gaining some cold resistance to get huge. 

E1E7B5D0-9757-4FD5-B43C-95716DACA273.jpeg

DE580151-5E46-4C5D-8BAD-61C0EBB2F67F.jpeg

3D2390F0-543F-4A36-921A-881C78E0FBBA.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Those are nice, looks like on streetview they weren't there in 2007 , next date is July 2011 and they are there, looks like they are defoliated from the previous winter.

cbk?cb_client=maps_sv.tactile&authuser=0&hl=en&gl=us&output=thumbnail&thumb=2&w=345&h=170&pitch=4.025808673006196&ll=28.69513205322477%2C-81.34298981511081&panoid=CiM-23k04Gw1a86dxp_6yg&yaw=182.2570081478798

• Like 2

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

1 hour ago, donalt said:

I've seen those royals, too...and just a block north is a very impressive royal poinciana tree!

Where is the Poinciana? In Longwood on Rangeline a few blocks north of 434 is a really big Royal Poinciana that flowers heavily.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

the royal poinciana is east of 427 by about 2 blocks. It is south of 434....it's one block north of those two royal palms. turn left from the home with the royals and go up the street until it ends. then turn right. the poinciana will be on the left

• Like 1

@donalt Not in metro Orlando, but you're welcome to visit down my way should you ever happen to be around the area.

• Like 2

Lakeland, FL