Jump to content

Zone 10 Palms in the Orlando Area Mega Thread


palmsOrl

Recommended Posts

Also a couple non palms. A nice double trunked Ravenala madagascariensis that has stayed short and a Bayur Tree, Pterospermum acerifolium.

PXL_20220115_160742330.MP~2.jpg

PXL_20220115_161228466.MP~2.jpg

PXL_20220115_161437705~2.jpg

PXL_20220115_161333856.MP~2.jpg

  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/6/2021 at 10:25 AM, Fishinsteeg234 said:

I just came across this brand new planting of three Archontophoenix in the Windermere area of Orlando, off of cr-535 in front of the Summer Port neighborhood. Hope these fare well this upcoming winter. What do you think about the timing of this planting, going into winter? 

8C3477D9-EA8D-4FFC-A263-B19DA3856828.jpeg

3653D446-ECBD-48F4-B6C0-9A163A4700EF.jpeg

12D156BF-5779-4729-A71B-87CF1F0CC67C.jpeg

E39F5D2D-D621-404B-A4CE-7905955533E2.jpeg

Utter STUPIDITY Planting Tropicals in the Fall or Winter!!!  Even as far south as Palm Beach, palms like these should only be planted in the Spring and Summer, in order to give them as much time as possible in warm weather to get established, and in the case of Florida, to take advantage of the Rainy Season to help with watering.

John

John

  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/3/2022 at 3:05 PM, Eric in Orlando said:

Here is a update from today of the 2 Coconuts growing at smashburger across from Fashion Square Mall near downtown Orlando.

PXL_20220103_201713750.MP~2.jpg

WHY Won't they leave the coconuts on the palms to fully develop and ripen???  It's not like they have to worry about nuts falling from 75 ft. up in the air from these Green Malayans that have probably just about reached the maximum height they will get to be in the Orlando area anyway.

John

  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

These are royals in ormond beach, Halifax plantation. Gorgeous healthy specimens. Took these pictures about 3 weeks ago. 

5CD7C691-56EE-4A12-B8D7-D39D0E41CCA0.jpeg

275AF9D2-A2A6-4F47-981B-E0E29C4209D6.jpeg

  • Like 8
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mid Jan update from Belle Isle. You can start to see it over the roof line from my front yard.

20220109_094855.jpg

Edited by pj_orlando_z9b
  • Like 11
  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Between work stops this morning, I took a walk around Lake Davis Park DT orlando and saw a few nice specimens right on the lake edge, and on properties overlooking the lake. Beccariophoenix alfredii, Ravenala madagascariensis, rainbow Eucalyptus, heliconias, Archontophoenix, Hyophorbe lagenicaulis, mature Wodyetia bifurcata, and a few Roystonea regia peeking from the backyards. Definitely a warmer pocket within the city. 

200D6C8F-0698-4A89-8411-5162F2C0D479.jpeg

60D6F607-4A51-4096-8884-95550034FF8C.jpeg

44CB56F1-A60C-48B8-86BD-A447C19A2E9B.jpeg

54905E50-ACA4-42F0-8AD5-F4E181C4932B.jpeg

68E2BDFF-77B2-4152-9531-0B5DC9FDD987.jpeg

1303744B-27AA-4A9D-89D0-5A0F997775F0.jpeg

  • Like 8
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, pj_orlando_z9b said:

Mid Jan update from Belle Isle. You can start to see it over the roof line from my front yard.

20220109_094855.jpg

WOW!!!  GORGEOUS!!!  i wish mine would look even close to that good.

John

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Fishinsteeg234 said:

Between work stops this morning, I took a walk around Lake Davis Park DT orlando and saw a few nice specimens right on the lake edge, and on properties overlooking the lake. Beccariophoenix alfredii, Ravenala madagascariensis, rainbow Eucalyptus, heliconias, Archontophoenix, Hyophorbe lagenicaulis, mature Wodyetia bifurcata, and a few Roystonea regia peeking from the backyards. Definitely a warmer pocket within the city. 

200D6C8F-0698-4A89-8411-5162F2C0D479.jpeg

60D6F607-4A51-4096-8884-95550034FF8C.jpeg

44CB56F1-A60C-48B8-86BD-A447C19A2E9B.jpeg

54905E50-ACA4-42F0-8AD5-F4E181C4932B.jpeg

68E2BDFF-77B2-4152-9531-0B5DC9FDD987.jpeg

1303744B-27AA-4A9D-89D0-5A0F997775F0.jpeg

Nice, but there should be some mature Jamaican Talls, and mature Panama Talls with nuts on them around there, and some decent sized Green Malayan Dwarfs with nuts on them too. It seems like a perfect area in Central Florida to grow these 3 varieties of Coconut Palms!!!

John

  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Fishinsteeg234 said:

Between work stops this morning, I took a walk around Lake Davis Park DT orlando and saw a few nice specimens right on the lake edge, and on properties overlooking the lake. Beccariophoenix alfredii, Ravenala madagascariensis, rainbow Eucalyptus, heliconias, Archontophoenix, Hyophorbe lagenicaulis, mature Wodyetia bifurcata, and a few Roystonea regia peeking from the backyards. Definitely a warmer pocket within the city. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1029 N Lake Davis Dr. are 2 tall Wodyetia in front of a big white house. Those are the 2 oldest Wodyetia in the Orlando area that I know of, planted around 1992-93. They survived the 1995-96 freeze. They grew fast but now have remained around this height for the last 15 years or so.

  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Fishinsteeg234 said:

Between work stops this morning, I took a walk around Lake Davis Park DT orlando and saw a few nice specimens right on the lake edge, and on properties overlooking the lake. Beccariophoenix alfredii, Ravenala madagascariensis, rainbow Eucalyptus, heliconias, Archontophoenix, Hyophorbe lagenicaulis, mature Wodyetia bifurcata, and a few Roystonea regia peeking from the backyards. Definitely a warmer pocket within the city. 

I think I drove on that same street when I was living in Orlando and I remember that huge queen in the 2nd to last picture. Maybe the largest and healthiest I saw in Orlando. Absolutely spectacular. About the same crown width as a full grown royal. When they have ample water and fertilizer, IMO they can rival the beauty of the foxtails and royals.

  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/20/2022 at 10:10 PM, pj_orlando_z9b said:

Mid Jan update from Belle Isle. You can start to see it over the roof line from my front yard.

20220109_094855.jpg

Are you doing any protection this weekend into Monday? I have a couple smaller ones and the low ranges from 35-40 depending on which forecast I look at. I don’t think I’m going to cover them. 

  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, pj_orlando_z9b said:

Large majesty on Ventura golf course

20220121_141743.jpg

Very nice.  From a little distance, it is so easy to mistake these for Coconut Palms, even to the trained eye like mine.

John

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Gottagrowemall said:

Are you doing any protection this weekend into Monday? I have a couple smaller ones and the low ranges from 35-40 depending on which forecast I look at. I don’t think I’m going to cover them. 

It's a good idea to expose in ground Coconut Palms to some nights unprotected down to 31F or 32F, and ones in pots at least 2 or 3 times to temps of 34F to 37F prior to planting them in the ground, in order to strengthen them up.

John

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Gottagrowemall said:

Are you doing any protection this weekend into Monday? I have a couple smaller ones and the low ranges from 35-40 depending on which forecast I look at. I don’t think I’m going to cover them. 

I do not do anything special. Last year, I had about 6 or 7 nights in the 35-40 range and only saw lower fronds brown out.  Only one night this year has been below 40 and that was a brief drop to 39. I do keep my C7 Christmas lights wrapped around the trunk through mid Feb. You can see them in the pic if you zoom in. I run them 24/7 in weather like this.

Soil temp right now is 60.

  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

It's a good idea to expose in ground Coconut Palms to some nights unprotected down to 31F or 32F, and ones in pots at least 2 or 3 times to temps of 34F to 37F prior to planting them in the ground, in order to strengthen them up.

John

They seemed completely unfazed from 39 degree nights. My Christmas palms have more yellowing than my coconuts after these lows. I didn’t read this until after I covered them up though. Just a light covering.39DDF9D8-CAFD-414B-A625-4F69AB68B0EE.thumb.jpeg.3c123be6725093d0b7d187cea55eb458.jpeg

58ECA3D9-3403-4200-A32F-1ECD00F956E8.jpeg

52FB407C-665A-4FBB-B5B7-9E98AE7D8DBF.jpeg

4CF23D8D-2CF4-44CA-BAB7-B05BB7D07B21.jpeg

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had a coconut pop and all the water poured out. Curious...is this from contracting in cold weather or normal for some coconuts in any type of weather? I just never observed it before and was curious. 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/22/2022 at 9:07 AM, bubba said:

John,

In one word:

Hurricanes!

I still think it's a shame that they are trimmed to begin with, but over trimming is inexcusable.  I think if anyone is ever worried about falling coconuts, just post signs saying, "Beware of falling coconuts!" for people to use a little common sense around them.

John

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/24/2022 at 2:36 PM, pj_orlando_z9b said:

I had a coconut pop and all the water poured out. Curious...is this from contracting in cold weather or normal for some coconuts in any type of weather? I just never observed it before and was curious. 

Good question.  I have had the unhusked store bought hairy nuts crack open when I have tried to sprout them over the last 20 years.

John

Edited by Mr. Coconut Palm
Add info.
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

I was at Epcot over the weekend. They have been rehabbing the old Universe of Energy into a Guardians of the Galaxy ride. A lot of it is still fenced up but some new landscaping has went in and a Satakentia liukiensis is visible behnd the fence. They have planted a lot of Wodyetia and Polyalthia longifolia.

PXL_20220326_205209976.jpg

PXL_20220326_205050025.jpg

  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Much of these palms are hard to kill even if you were trying in central Florida!

  • Upvote 1

What you look for is what is looking

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, bubba said:

Much of these palms are hard to kill even if you were trying in central Florida!

Those of us who live in inland Central Florida wish this was an accurate description of the growing experience in Central Florida as a whole. :)

Depending on what you consider Central Florida, there are actually wide areas where Adonidia merrillii, Roystonea regia, Satakentia liukiuensis, and Wodyetia bifurcata don't do very well.  Just drive out of Orlando on FL-50 west and you'll notice that the amount of damage and/or survival of more tender palms changes pretty dramatically.

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone (2012): 9b | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (1985, 1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a | 30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

Those of us who live in inland Central Florida wish this was an accurate description of the growing experience in Central Florida as a whole. :)

Depending on what you consider Central Florida, there are actually wide areas where Adonidia merrillii, Roystonea regia, Satakentia liukiuensis, and Wodyetia bifurcata don't do very well.  Just drive out of Orlando on FL-50 west and you'll notice that the amount of damage and/or survival of more tender palms changes pretty dramatically.

There are areas on Goldenrod just east of the city on Route 50 where Adonidia have large amounts of burn. 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, pj_orlando_z9b said:

There are areas on Goldenrod just east of the city on Route 50 where Adonidia have large amounts of burn. 

I imagine this holds true and possibly gets worse as you head toward Bithlo and Christmas?

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone (2012): 9b | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (1985, 1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a | 30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/29/2022 at 4:34 PM, kinzyjr said:

I imagine this holds true and possibly gets worse as you head toward Bithlo and Christmas?

Most areas east of 417 had 20s when I checked wunderground sites. Away from water and those swamps drain the cold air. 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Caught a nice sized coconut in the Pineloch area near SoDo.  Didn't look too beat up from winter. This Google photo is dated 2022 so must be recent. 

Screenshot_20220329-011106_Maps.jpg

  • Like 6
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Went boating on the Conway chain of lakes today. I must have counted at least 24 coconuts along the shore, about 6 with trunks of 10ft+. If we can string a few warmer winters together, Belle Isle will be looking tropical.

20220417_102912.jpg

20220417_102516.jpg

Edited by pj_orlando_z9b
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

A couple of Coconut plantings I have been watching for a couple of years now.

This first one is in Winter Garden, the house backs up to the West Orange Trail at the Winter Garden station a couple blocks east of downtown. The one palm is holding a good amount of coconuts.

PXL_20220501_184850818.MP~2.jpg

PXL_20220501_184906799~2.jpg

  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Link to comment
Share on other sites

These are growing in Oakland along Oakland Ave.

PXL_20220501_190536454~2.jpg

  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 weeks later...

Tiger Wood's putt putt course opens this month near UCF. Looks pretty tropical with their plantings. 

 

Edited by pj_orlando_z9b
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/3/2022 at 9:34 AM, Eric in Orlando said:

A couple of Coconut plantings I have been watching for a couple of years now.

This first one is in Winter Garden, the house backs up to the West Orange Trail at the Winter Garden station a couple blocks east of downtown. The one palm is holding a good amount of coconuts.

PXL_20220501_184850818.MP~2.jpg

PXL_20220501_184906799~2.jpg

Coconuts and mangos that’s nice 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wanted to share these photos I took earlier this year but never got around to it until now. The first pic is the largest clump of Ravenala madagascariensis I have ever seen, located just outside of the valet lobby at the Gaylord Palms resort. Photo taken in march. 
 

The second photo is a Veitchia arecina (I believe) located in residential Winter Springs. This photo taken feb 14th, about two weeks after the freeze event this year. I haven’t been back by to see how it’s recovered, though. 

A5BF7AB9-AB47-43F0-863E-3ED82AB8EE12.jpeg

9C2873AC-6040-4C57-A620-D79471339980.jpeg

  • Like 4
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/17/2022 at 5:29 PM, pj_orlando_z9b said:

Went boating on the Conway chain of lakes today. I must have counted at least 24 coconuts along the shore, about 6 with trunks of 10ft+. If we can string a few warmer winters together, Belle Isle will be looking tropical.

20220417_102912.jpg

20220417_102516.jpg

Where exactly are those tall ones located?

  • Upvote 1

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Fishinsteeg234 said:

I wanted to share these photos I took earlier this year but never got around to it until now. The first pic is the largest clump of Ravenala madagascariensis I have ever seen, located just outside of the valet lobby at the Gaylord Palms resort. Photo taken in march. 
 

The second photo is a Veitchia arecina (I believe) located in residential Winter Springs. This photo taken feb 14th, about two weeks after the freeze event this year. I haven’t been back by to see how it’s recovered, though. 

A5BF7AB9-AB47-43F0-863E-3ED82AB8EE12.jpeg

9C2873AC-6040-4C57-A620-D79471339980.jpeg

That is an awesome Ravenala specimen!

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

I came across a few nice specimens today while driving for work in the Buenaventura Lakes area, all located just a block away from each other, all grown in full sun. Pictures in order:

 Hyophorbe verschaffeltii, Ravenea rivularis, Archontophoenix cunninghamiana, fruiting Cocos nucifera, Roystonea regia, and several large Delonix regia‘s (not pictured) in the area.  

BD0E90DC-6B4A-40ED-ABA5-B3CC4FCDFC34.jpeg

1AE8EFE9-F71D-42C7-A68D-CF4754EF057F.jpeg

E7075081-6030-4F88-B93A-95C6028B1667.jpeg

AE90A547-87CA-4DBC-998F-8E25421C7378.jpeg

1C8CE38E-7DA1-45B5-A14E-5B5F9234DCDE.jpeg

BAA7A451-CE8A-4544-AAA9-5B75E077BDA2.jpeg

 

9CFA3BE8-5726-450B-AE6C-CFEF7006F741.jpeg

F454A931-1CB9-4F64-AF1F-2505EBD952A8.jpeg

Edited by Fishinsteeg234
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This Roystonea regia is growing west of Orlando in Clermont. I would think this is a colder area. It is right at the intersection of Highway 50 and 27. Streetview goes back to 2008 and it was a trunked palm then. Also a mature Schefflera actinophylla next to it. This is in front of the infamous Crown Lounge.

 

 

PXL_20220701_145815358~2.jpg

  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This Dypsis leptocheilos is growing west of Clermont where Hwy 50 crosses Palatlakaha Creek. On streetview it isn't there in 2008 and is there in 2012 as a small specimen.

PXL_20220701_182600019.MP~2.jpg

  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not a palm but a nice Ficus elastica growing at the Red Cross on Bumby, just east of downtown Orlando, just north of the 408.

 

 

 

 

PXL_20220701_190737777.MP~2.jpg

PXL_20220701_190807033~2.jpg

  • Like 2

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/30/2021 at 11:07 AM, Oviedo_z10b_lol said:

Stumbled across a large Arenga Engleri in oviedo. 
considering the growth rate of the one in my yard, I have to assume this is at least 200 years old. 

468FDDD5-AA72-4F72-A51A-5348F06BFBB7.jpeg

E0F581F8-4819-47E7-9CF7-040D96B82226.jpeg

That is my neighbor. Great specimen. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



  • Recently Browsing

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...