IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

2018: Passing of Rod and Rachel Saunders, Silverhill Seeds, South Africa

Hillizard

http://silverhillseeds.co.za/Newsletter.asp

The information in this current newsletter from Silverhill Seeds was discussed at last year's NorCal Palm Society meeting in Berkeley. It's a very tragic event that adds to previous posts by Palmtalk folks regarding the many challenges of collecting seeds "in the wild" in some locations. I thought it was something to share with a wider audience in this forum.

So saddened to learn this. How awful. I didn't know them but grieve their loss. So many parts of the world are dangerous.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Oh how terrible! What a loss...and murdered by ISIS extremists :angry: This and the rebels are the reasons I'm hesitant to take my dream vacation to Africa. :(

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

On 2/6/2019 at 2:40 PM, Missi said:

Oh how terrible! What a loss...and murdered by ISIS extremists :angry: This and the rebels are the reasons I'm hesitant to take my dream vacation to Africa. :(

I wouldn't worry.  According to reports I've seen there isn't much of an Islamist movement in South Africa.  These look to be a small group of kooks.  The Sanders' just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I bought seeds from Silverhill for a number of years.  Over the years I had a number of email exchanges with Rachel.  Nothing very personal, she was just always helpful and cordial.  Indeed very sad.

On 2/12/2019 at 6:53 AM, Lard Greystoke said:

I wouldn't worry.  According to reports I've seen there isn't much of an Islamist movement in South Africa.  These look to be a small group of kooks.  The Sanders' just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I bought seeds from Silverhill for a number of years.  Over the years I had a number of email exchanges with Rachel.  Nothing very personal, she was just always helpful and cordial.  Indeed very sad.

From an article: "Police believe they were kidnapped and murdered by Islamic extremists who talked of killing non-believers around the time of the attack.
The case prompted the UK’s Foreign Office to warn that terrorists were likely to try to carry out attacks in South Africa.
Africa’s most industrialised country has never suffered a major terrorist incident involving Islamic extremists and no attack followed a similar warning by Britain and the US in June 2016.
"

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

• 2 months later...

So sad to hear that Silverhill seeds was my go to place for South African plant seeds.  Hundreds of my plants in my garden are grown from seed from silverhill seeds.

EE017C43-77B2-45D2-9D50-D3E399A59BB1.jpeg

• Like 1