IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What was your lowest temperature this winter?

NC_Palms

21 hours ago, Palm crazy said:

The airport is always colder but will have to see what happens locally.  Suppose to snow tonight and tomorrow 1"-3"  that will help moderate the temps, as long as it not clear at night I should be ok. Thanks for the heads up! If it does snow I will take a picture for you, LOL. 

It Snowed last night the first of the season. Low last night was 28.6F and high today will be 34F-35F. Tuesday night is going to be clear and cold so will have to see what happens then. At least tomorrow will be 39F to help melt the roads. Very cold Tuesday night. The snow hit hardest north of Olympia and it colder too. Seattle will only be 32F today and 40F tomorrow. Brrrr. 

The mule palm is safe thanks to the overhead canopy. 

DSC_0004.JPG

DSC_0002.JPG

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Palm crazy said:

It Snowed last night the first of the season.

Same here.  Last night was too warm for it to stick as we bottomed out at 33F, but at  elevations over 1000' I can see snow on the rooftops.  The real problem is the cold dry air moving in today as the clouds are expected to clear.  We're supposed to be warming up this time of year and now an Arctic blast from Alaska is bringing the coldest weather we've had this winter.

image.png.dc8e972c214d210ec6523977c8eafb34.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

@Palm crazy Similar situation this side of the pond. We had above average temps all winter, like yourself, right up until about a week ago when it got real cold here and we got blanketed by snow as well, a few nights back. We had highs of around 35F for 2-3 days, with nights in the 20s. The snow hung around for about 48 hours, but thankfully it was short lived and we are now warming up significantly. Highs are around 50F and lows around 45F for the next 2 weeks. So it looks like we are coming out of winter here now. Roll on spring!

• Upvote 1

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

3 minutes ago, UK_Palms said:

@Palm crazy Similar situation this side of the pond. We had above average temps all winter, like yourself, right up until about a week ago when it got real cold here and we got blanketed by snow as well, a few nights back. We had highs of around 35F for 2-3 days, with nights in the 20s. The snow hung around for about 48 hours, but thankfully it was short lived and we are now warming up significantly. Highs are around 50F and lows around 45F for the next 2 weeks. So it looks like we are coming out of winter here now. Roll on spring!

We have been in the 50's most of the winter and now Bamm! A cold front hit us. Not as bad as it could be, but last year this time we had a dusting of snow too. 

5 minutes ago, Chester B said:

Same here.  Last night was too warm for it to stick as we bottomed out at 33F, but at  elevations over 1000' I can see snow on the rooftops.  The real problem is the cold dry air moving in today as the clouds are expected to clear.  We're supposed to be warming up this time of year and now an Arctic blast from Alaska is bringing the coldest weather we've had this winter.

image.png.dc8e972c214d210ec6523977c8eafb34.png

Seem the farther you are south the warmer it is this time, bad way to end an otherwise mild winter. 

On 1/23/2019 at 11:01 PM, UK_Palms said:

Chamaerops are pretty hardy things. They are the second hardiest palm type in my garden after Trachycarpus. 

Mine have seen 12F with not a lot of damage. And they always bounce back. I have heard they can take 0F and be cut back to ground level, only to sprout back again. 

Did you have one male and one female Chamaerops to make seeds?

Currently both my cerifera and green chamaerops have seen an ultimate low of 3.1F for all of 2 hours maybe. Should defoliate and might not make it back this time, but as it stands its still green but has spear pulled and will likely defoliate mostly if not outright die. From what I have seen in our cold humid subtropic is they don't defoliate until single digits.we will see in March/April to see the full damage.

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

7 minutes ago, mdsonofthesouth said:

Currently both my cerifera and green chamaerops have seen an ultimate low of 3.1F for all of 2 hours maybe. Should defoliate and might not make it back this time, but as it stands its still green but has spear pulled and will likely defoliate mostly if not outright die. From what I have seen in our cold humid subtropic is they don't defoliate until single digits.we will see in March/April to see the full damage.

Damn, 3F is pretty darn low. One of my regular humilis survived our coldest weather in 20 years last February, being subjected to 12F without protection, and it did not defoliate, although quite a few fronds took damage and browned off. It looked a bit tatty until mid summer, around July-August time, when it started pumping out new fronds. But it did not spear pull. I find Chamaerops to be extremely hardy in my neck of the woods. 

Then again my Phoenix Canariensis also took that 12F with minimal damage as well. Only slight browning on the fronds and no spear pull on that either. But another CIDP growing next to it was defoliated completely. It seems hardiness varies significantly between individual specimens.

Fingers crossed your cerifera and humilis pull through this winter and don't spear pull :greenthumb:

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

The low for my city so far this winter has been -20 or so, but for the state it was -40. 

Obviously I keep my plants in pots.... but couldn't resist posting anyway. :-P 

• Like 2

Got down to 3°F here in Ocean County Nj. Without the polar vortex the lowest would have been 11°. The good thing is after the lows we got to 61° today.

• Like 2

Somewhere between 36F and 39F.  Didn't get a chance to read the thermometer on the coldest morning, but the weather stations in the area were between those two marks.

• Like 2

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

4 hours ago, UK_Palms said:

Damn, 3F is pretty darn low. One of my regular humilis survived our coldest weather in 20 years last February, being subjected to 12F without protection, and it did not defoliate, although quite a few fronds took damage and browned off. It looked a bit tatty until mid summer, around July-August time, when it started pumping out new fronds. But it did not spear pull. I find Chamaerops to be extremely hardy in my neck of the woods. 

Then again my Phoenix Canariensis also took that 12F with minimal damage as well. Only slight browning on the fronds and no spear pull on that either. But another CIDP growing next to it was defoliated completely. It seems hardiness varies significantly between individual specimens.

Fingers crossed your cerifera and humilis pull through this winter and don't spear pull :greenthumb:

They seem to spear pull and defoliate bellow 10F so i fully expect a repeat of last winters issues. Mine have mostly pulled even had a trachycarpus spear pull this year after the polar vortex, but have seen every last palm recover from this so Im hopeful. Forecast is looking decent enough to not worry just yet. But we aren't out of the woods yet and still have about a month or so of possible BAD vortexes. After about mid March cold fronts aren't an issue for the palms, cold but not an issue for my palms.

SERIOUSLY considering transplanting them to the better side.

Edited by mdsonofthesouth

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

Low this morning was 21F with mostly clear skies. One more cold night to go which could be a few degrees colder. At least today will be 37F for a high. lol. 

Edited by Palm crazy
  • Like 1

Still cloudy here and 30F this morning.  It literally snowed all day yesterday but didn't start to stick until after sunset.  We are supposed to clear out today which means a cold night.  After living with snow for decades it makes me sick whenever I see it.  And unlike most people around here I don't think it's "pretty".:P

Snow 1.jpg

Snow 2.jpg

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Chester B said:

Still cloudy here and 30F this morning.  It literally snowed all day yesterday but didn't start to stick until after sunset.  We are supposed to clear out today which means a cold night.  After living with snow for decades it makes me sick whenever I see it.  And unlike most people around here I don't think it's "pretty".:P

My feelings toward snow mirror yours.

• Like 2

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

8 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

Ditto. Spent a good portion of my life in snow and negative double digits. I don't miss it one bit. Today I look out my office window, it's nearly 70 outside and the windows are open and the peepers (frogs) can be heard at the pond down the road. Never again will I endure that weather. Never B)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chester B said:

56 minutes ago, RJ said:

Ditto. Spent a good portion of my life in snow and negative double digits. I don't miss it one bit. Today I look out my office window, it's nearly 70 outside and the windows are open and the peepers (frogs) can be heard at the pond down the road. Never again will I endure that weather. Never B)

1 hour ago, kinzyjr said:

I love it and think it's so beautiful. I could see how if you lived in a more extreme winter climate (something like zone 3-5) for years you could get tired of it. Even with the winter precip event in January 2014 I was so excited. And when I lived in SW Illinois (zone 6), it snowed seldom enough that when it did it was fun.

The only thing keeping me in FL is my love of tropical plants. Unfortunately I can't have it both ways (tropical plants with a classic 4 seasons climate)... 

Here is an update on the cold. 

The lowes this morning.

West Olympia (me) 21F

Seattle 17F

Olympia airport 15F

It was sunny all morning and at 10 am it is already 33F at my place. Seattle at 10 am is only 23F, yikes that cold. Funny thing the snow never stuck to the roads here in Olympia making driving much easier. One more cold night tonight. 

Edited by Palm crazy
  • Like 1

Man it’s COLD today. May not even hit 50F today! When was the last time that happened? Can’t wait for this to be out of here

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, enigma99 said:

Man it’s COLD today. May not even hit 50F today! When was the last time that happened? Can’t wait for this to be out of here

The first two weeks are supposed to be cold in the pnw for February after that it will warm back up and go above normal, while the east coast will be warmer than normal these two weeks. Their warm-up is causing the cold to hit us. It should still be an early spring by mid-February at least I hope so, lol. 

Dropped down to 3°F (-16°C) last week, I’m hoping that’s the last of the extreme cold. 64°F (18°C) and sunny today.

Looks like parts of the PNW have gotten more snow than here this winter, so far I’ve had roughly half an inch. Last winter my palms sustained major frond damage from heavy snow and high winds (seperate events).

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Palm crazy said:

The first two weeks are supposed to be cold in the pnw for February after that it will warm back up and go above normal, while the east coast will be warmer than normal these two weeks. Their warm-up is causing the cold to hit us. It should still be an early spring by mid-February at least I hope so, lol. 

The GFS model shows the east warm for the next 2 weeks and all the arctic energy is directed towards us. It will probably change though, so I hope you're right.

Tonight's forecast is 33F, so I am making preparations for the cold.

5 hours ago, Palm crazy said:

Here is an update on the cold. 

The lowes this morning.

West Olympia (me) 21F

Seattle 17F

Olympia airport 15F

It was sunny all morning and at 10 am it is already 33F at my place. Seattle at 10 am is only 23F, yikes that cold. Funny thing the snow never stuck to the roads here in Olympia making driving much easier. One more cold night tonight. 

I was looking at Wunderground last night and was interested to see what a difference all the little microclimates made in the greater Seattle area. The Alki area was around 32f while parts of Bellevue were in the teens. Mercer Island was low 20s so apparently Lake Washington doesn’t do too much to moderate the climate. The whole area was a little colder than I thought it would be and it didn’t warm up much until San Francisco.

Edited by RedRabbit
  • Like 1

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

7 hours ago, Chester B said:

Still cloudy here and 30F this morning.  It literally snowed all day yesterday but didn't start to stick until after sunset.  We are supposed to clear out today which means a cold night.  After living with snow for decades it makes me sick whenever I see it.  And unlike most people around here I don't think it's "pretty". :P

7 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

7 hours ago, RJ said:

I second all of this. For most of my life, I lived in a climate that snowed from the mid-November to the end of March and where below 0ºF and below is normal. Living in the northeast was a nightmare for me. I don't ever plan on going farther north than where I live now, I only see myself heading much farther south. 

Zone 8a/8b Greenville, NC 

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

3 hours ago, Palm crazy said:

EPS mean is looking chilly for the PNW for Feb

FEB EPS MEAN.jpg

18 hours ago, Chester B said:

That is probably because you like and grow palms and the others don't. :P 

Southwest

23 hours ago, Chester B said:

And unlike most people around here I don't think it's "pretty"

Everyone thinks snow is pretty - some think it's pretty (attractive) and others think it's pretty annoying or pretty damaging or pretty cold or pretty useless... :D

So far this winter here in west San Antonio, Texas the coldest I have recorded is just 34° but this was after a mid-November (fall) low of 27° which is extremely early for a first freeze here.

• Like 1

Jon Sunder

Lowest temp for me this morning 36 degrees lots of frost on the north side of the yard in the shade. Luckily nothing damaged !! One more night and it warms back up 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, RedRabbit said:

I was looking at Wunderground last night and was interested to see what a difference all the little microclimates made in the greater Seattle area. The Alki area was around 32f while parts of Bellevue were in the teens. Mercer Island was low 20s so apparently Lake Washington doesn’t do too much to moderate the climate. The whole area was a little colder than I thought it would be and it didn’t warm up much until San Francisco.

That really interesting. The reason we are getting all this cold is that the winds are coming from the east and north bringing all that arctic cold down from the north. Seattle area is so cold right now because of the Frazer valley cold drains into the upper Puget Sound. The jet stream is so south it hitting San Diego and even northern Mexico.  Nice warm up today and low 40's tomorrow, LOL. and then a really big snowstorm will hit Friday night into most of Saturday. And then all next week we will be in the 35-37F for highs and lows in the 25-27F with a chance of snow...It like all our winter weather is happening all at once. LOL!  Last night we were 20F for a low that's 17 degrees below normal. AT least it sunny this week. Most of my snow will be gone today. :D can't say that for folks north of Seattle. 

Edited by Palm crazy
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, RJ said:

EPS mean is looking chilly for the PNW for Feb

FEB EPS MEAN.jpg

I hope it doesn't last for the whole month of February. :unsure: , It has been five years since we've seen this much cold and  Mid February is when the Daphne are in full bloom so will have to see what happens. Can't wait for March to get here.  

Edited by Palm crazy

8 minutes ago, Palm crazy said:

I hope it doesn't last for the whole month of February. :unsure: , It has been five years since we've seen this much cold and  Mid February is when the Daphne are in full bloom so will have to see what happens. Can't wait for March to get here.  

Two weeks out the models show no end in sight... but back a couple weeks showed the warm weather continuing. I predict it will begin to change, and force the cold back east 2nd half of Feb

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, enigma99 said:

Two weeks out the models show no end in sight... but back a couple weeks showed the warm weather continuing. I predict it will begin to change, and force the cold back east 2nd half of Feb

I think your right, at some point the winds are going to have to change direction and we'll get some warmer weather, especially since it February. These cold spells only last for 7-10 days at the most up here. 

@Palm crazy What's your record low temperature, in your neck of the woods?

I had a low of 51F last night. And only a high of 53F today. A proper mild, Atlantic influence at play right now. Milder than anywhere else in the world at my latitude. My Canary Island date palms are still actively growing right now.

I am at 51N, and on the other side of the world at 43N, Vladivstok in Russia is 0F right now. Despite being 8 degrees further south and a lot closer to the equator.

7 minutes ago, Laaz said:

Lowest we've seen this winter was 28F  on two nights. I still have peppers going strong.

You must not get a lot of frost on mid 30 nights. My peppers fried as soon as we hit low 30's. 

17 minutes ago, RJ said:

You must not get a lot of frost on mid 30 nights. My peppers fried as soon as we hit low 30's. 

It depends largely on the type of pepper. My Padron's and Apache's take low 30s no problem, and I have known them to take 28-29F with minimal damage. As long as daytime temps warm up to say 60F. The foliage on some pepper types can be quite cold hardy. But most obviously aren't.

Stuff like Trinidad Perfume & bell peppers get wrecked by frost. Even if it is 31-32F. I have maybe trialled 50 different types of pepper in my climate, so I know what works well here and what doesn't. Carolina Reapers are one of the worst to grow in my climate. Slow, fussy and quite cold sensitive. 

• Upvote 1