IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Livistona nitida trunk

Alicehunter2000

This palm was tucked back into the corner of my yard behind my large S. causiarum and never got the glory it should have received. It is a really cold hardy and pretty palm. I wish I had several more planted but just didn't realize how nice they are until owning this one. Anyway here is a closeup of the trunk.,  its got a redish color and the fronds self clean nicely.

2018-12-15 22.18.29.jpg

• Upvote 8

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

A closer view.

2018-12-15 22.19.13.jpg

• Upvote 8

David that certainly is a nice looking trunk. Did you buy it already large or did you plant it out small? Just curious on the growth rate you have seen. 

I bought these in 2013 as large palms from Fishbranch. When I built my house caculated my Landscape into my mortgage. Several Palmtalk people were involved in the installation....it was exciting times for me. You can see the sizes and installation on this thread....

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/34415-alicehunter2000s-beach-party-by-ken-johnson/#comment-544928

Fishbranch has a few nice palms. I talked to them a few months ago. As soon as they found out I was in SC they didn't want to talk much. :unsure:

They're is  one at the local Zoo. or it could be a L. Decora. Can't recall now. 

Edited by RJ

Their plants are top notch. They have huge S. causiarum for sale ....not really found any other place that I know of.

Yes I saw that.  S. causiarum was actually what I wanted to purchase from therm. Regenerated ones IIRC ~200/ftct. I'm building this summer so it takes about 6 months for them to prep them. Looks like I'm going to have to settle for some 15g ones when I head down to FL in a couple weeks. 

• Upvote 1