IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabal minors in Central OK

Dave_OK

New to the board...Wanted to share a few pics of my Sabal minors from the Oklahoma City area (Z-7A). I've got around 20 or so Minors of differing sizes in my landscape. Some are seed-grown from my largest plant and others were purchased. Most of these have been in the ground for right at three years now. I've had my largest Minor for eight years and was fortunate that it transplanted successfully at the end of 2015. These plants absolutely thrive in our Oklahoma summer heat and get through winter with very little damage here. I've had some slight burn during our coldest winter snaps (mid-single digits), but nothing worse.

The smaller Minors are the "McCurtain" variety. They're very, very slow growing, but have been in the ground for three years after being purchased as a small strap-leafed plants. As far as I can tell, my large Minor is a "Louisiana", but I'm not 100% sure. I bought it at a local nursery and the tag didn't specify. 

Thanks!

IMG_8412 2.JPG

IMG_7529.JPG

IMG_7528.JPG

IMG_7531.JPG

• Upvote 8

Awesome plants!  Welcome to the forums!

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Welcome Dave,

Your sabals look robust and healthy - and you're practically in Canada! They put my wimpy Gulf-Coast minors to shame. Keep up the good work!

• Upvote 1

Hi Dave, thanks for sharing! Very cool! I have just planted a couple this year although I don't have the McCurtain variety. Is the McCurtain variety the smaller one in the first picture? Can you talk a bit more about how you care for them?

• Upvote 1

Beautiful minors! Welcome to PalmTalk

• Upvote 1

Zone 8a/8b Greenville, NC 

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

Looking great!  Welcome aboard.  Those McCurtain minors are hardy into Kansas and Missouri.  I planted several up there in z6 +20 years ago.  

• Upvote 2

On 12/7/2018, 7:16:24, Swolte said:

Hi Dave, thanks for sharing! Very cool! I have just planted a couple this year although I don't have the McCurtain variety. Is the McCurtain variety the smaller one in the first picture? Can you talk a bit more about how you care for them?

Thanks! Yes, the McCurtains are the smaller ones in the pics. I've found that taking care of them is really pretty simple...they're in partial sun/partial shade and once they're established I basically leave them alone. I might give them a little water in July and August during the hottest/driest stretches of the Summer, but they're actually very drought tolerant, and they thrive in the heat. I never fertilize or do anything special like that. My largest Minor shoots up a seed stalk each summer and I usually cut that off at the end of the winter. I have pruned off dead/speant fronds a few times as well. 

Around the beginning of December I usually mulch them really well with store-bought mulch or just leaves that have fallen. I've never covered them with blankets/tarps and never had any major problems. If we get down below 10 degrees (which is fairly uncommon), then they sometimes look a bit discolored and they might suffer a little burn on the tips of the leaves. But I've never had one even come close to defoliating. Good luck!

• Upvote 2

They look GREAT!!!!   Is that a Trachycarpus that I see in the background? Whatever it is looks very healthy too!  Nice job!  Welcome to PalmTalk! 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, DCA_Palm_Fan said:

They look GREAT!!!!   Is that a Trachycarpus that I see in the background? Whatever it is looks very healthy too!  Nice job!  Welcome to PalmTalk! 

It is indeed...I need to make another post on my Trachy. Have had great luck with it although I protect it much more than I do my Minors. Thanks!