IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

PalmTreeDude

On 1/27/2019 at 12:34 PM, GoatLockerGuns said:

When I lived in Chesapeake, I used to admire this guys house when I would drive buy (he may even be a Palm Talker):

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.7180624,-76.1856793,3a,75y,106.19h,93.76t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sB_xoZl_ERi2sfzEfrmgBtg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Looks like some of his palms took a hit during recent winters, but this yard still has a more "tropical" look compared to its surroundings.

hope the one older palmetto pulled through!  great find and nice windmills too

• 1 year later...
On 12/13/2018 at 1:27 PM, DCA_Palm_Fan said:

It has!  As have the other to very tall ones between the buildings on the south side of the taller buildings.  You can tell the old ones by the beach because they are the only ones with tall trunks, clear of boots at least a good part of the way up, and often will have old flower/ fruit rachis.    Funny thing, I actually found a ziplock bag full of about 25 seeds from one of those tall Va Beach palms, that I collected back in June of 2017.  I wonder if they would still germinate over a year later here in FL?  

Whats a good time to take seeds off the tree in Virginia beach.

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/27/2020 at 1:03 PM, climate change virginia said:

Whats a good time to take seeds off the tree in Virginia beach.

I think they any time is good. Spring / fall is probably best but if they are ripe (usually dark purple or black) then they are probably viable to plant. 

• 3 months later...

I live in seaford VA on the chesapake bay and am getting ready to have installed two 10 foot palms. My neighbor told me they won't make it? Is he right? Any help would be great!!

On 3/15/2021 at 5:29 PM, Bob Rowe said:

I live in seaford VA on the chesapake bay and am getting ready to have installed two 10 foot palms. My neighbor told me they won't make it? Is he right? Any help would be great!!

What kind of palms?

On 12/15/2018 at 9:27 AM, mdsonofthesouth said:

Yeah growing palms is taboo around here. Every gardener laughs(rudely) or gives you that "you dumbBLEEP" look when you say you grow them. Folks around here know me as the palm guy affectionately but honestly they all wonder when I'm going to stop being silly. That's one of the reasons why palms aren't tried in the DMV very often outside of rhapidophyllum. Delmarva could be covered in trachycarpus and even has some spots where palmettos could do OK. But instead everyone gets coconuts and all you'll see are dead palms for 2 to 4 months before they are replaced.

Hoping I can help change all that but I doubt it will.

Well... it depends where in the DMV you are if you are in the south dmv like me no one will have a problem some people have palms where I live (mostly in pots) and tons of musa

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/13/2018 at 1:06 PM, DCA_Palm_Fan said:

To add to this post and the fairly correct summation that S. Palmetto, (all palms really)  Do far better somewhat inland, rather than on the beach in Va Beach.  Yes some survive, even some tall B. Capitata on the beach side of buildings survive sometimes and even look good.  (LOTS OF PICS)

First up, Oceanside Palms right up on the beach.   These photos were taken in February of 2017, and in June 2017.  The day I went out there in Feb, it was sunny and 70.  In June it was 86F, and it was my birthday.  Spent the say drinking at a beautiful outdoor bar loaded with palms and it felt like Florida.   As you can see some survive winters on the beach, while others get battered and die.  Its hit or miss, a crapshoot at best, but there are some long lived older / tall ones that have been there for many years just off the beach.   Even windmills suffer right at ocean front here.   Another varying factor is the winter itself.  IF its harsh and very cold with lots of storms with high winds, more palms area damaged or die at ocean front.  The ones that survive are left in place and continue to grow.  My thought is that, right on the ocean front itself, they get 1 to 5 year lifespan out of the palms, Possibly more on occasion.  Even just off the ocean but still at the beach front, they can survive much much longer and grow very tall, esp on the south sides of buildings and / or protected from battering ocean storm winds.  All palms in these photos are either directly on the oceanfront, or on that same block of land before the first street running north/ south which is Atlantic Avenue.

Feb 2017:

PalmsVaBeachOceanside1.jpeg

PalmsVaBeachOceanside2.jpeg

PalmsVaBeachOceanside3.jpeg

PalmsVaBeachOceanside4.jpeg

PalmsVaBeachOceanside5.jpeg

June 2017

PalmsVaBeachOceanside6.jpeg

PalmsVaBeachOceanside7.jpeg

PalmsVaBeachOceanside8.jpeg

Feb 2017

PalmsVaBeachOceanside9.jpeg

PalmsVaBeachInland7.jpeg

I think they put all the palmettos in the ocean for the lame, tropical aesthetic, do they even know the ocean temperatures?

Nothing to say here.