IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Another cold night.

Palm crazy

Woke up to 31F the airport 8 miles away had 21F last night. No Morning fog, a sunny day to help warm things up to the mid-40s. So far the plants are still looking good the next few nights are going to be colder I think. My geranium still have flower buds and a block away they are still in full bloom.

About the time this mini cold spell is over (by the end of the week) I think the East coast will be getting this cold. 

Edited by Palm crazy
  • Upvote 1

We were supposed to have the same as the cold east wind is blowing through the Columbia River Gorge.  Last night was predicted to be 32F but I woke up to 40F.  Next 3 nights are forecasted to dip below freezing as low as 25F.  I find that the weather forecast on this side of the continent are far less accurate, lots of big misses so I'm hoping we stay above freezing.  Fortunately we moved to the warmest part of the Portland Metro area (by luck) and during both extreme heat and cold we tend to be about 10 F warmer the rest of the time we usually trend a couple degrees warmer. December is the coldest month here so I'm hoping this will be it for the year. 

• Upvote 1

Good for you Chester, I had 40F for a low yesterday night. I hope your right that this week will be the end of the cold spells. Last year December was very mild. My low so far this winter has been 30F but the next few nights will be a test to see how cold it gets. Not cold enough to protect anything. But I did put all my tender potted plants inside the heated shed and semi-hardy plants are in cold greenhouse. 

Last year our coldest weather came in late February where we had some snow.  Hopefully we'll forgo that this year so my neighbors don't have to see some crazy guy out at night shaking snow off palm fronds.

I threw a bucket over a small tree fern last night just in case but other than that I'm not all that interested in species I need to protect.  Cannas, bananas, and castor plants are still growing albeit slowly so they are my indicator species.  Last year Dec 10 was the day the bananas got zapped with the first real frost, which was the first of about 4 frosts we had last year.

I'm hoping Santa brings me a weather station this year so I can be more accurate in my trending.

We have 40s coming tonight.  More of a nationwide deal this time.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Last December and January were 30F then early February  23F.  Suppose to warm up a lot this Feb? there is three weather station in my neighborhood that how I get my lows. 

2 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

We have 40s coming tonight.  More of a nationwide deal this time.

Looks pretty cold for everyone in z8 or colder this week starting soon, coast to coast.

Edited by Palm crazy

Low here in SE Georgia so far has been 38 faranheit, but it warmed back up to 70-80f. We received about 5 inches of rain the past few days, and now a cold front has moved in behind  it with a high of 60f and low tonight about 39. Tomorrow’s low is supposed to drop 34f and a high of 57f. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Chester B said:

Last year our coldest weather came in late February where we had some snow.  Hopefully we'll forgo that this year so my neighbors don't have to see some crazy guy out at night shaking snow off palm fronds.

I threw a bucket over a small tree fern last night just in case but other than that I'm not all that interested in species I need to protect.  Cannas, bananas, and castor plants are still growing albeit slowly so they are my indicator species.  Last year Dec 10 was the day the bananas got zapped with the first real frost, which was the first of about 4 frosts we had last year.

I'm hoping Santa brings me a weather station this year so I can be more accurate in my trending.

A weather station is on my list too. Hope Santa delivers one for you! 

I saw 31°F / 0.5°C this morning on Vancouver Island. Rain forecast is not until the weekend.

Cheers, Barrie.

• Upvote 1

Weatherman changed his tune by a whopping 7F each night.  So no freezing temps for me for the foreseeable future.  B)

• Upvote 1

Ha Ha! you guys are killing me...I had a low of 28.6F this morning. Olympia is one of the coldest spot in winter next to Puget Sound and one of the warmest in Summer. LOL! Another clear cold one for me tonight again! Barrie, I can't wait for that rain to come back this weekend. Oh well, at least it sunny here. 

Low is predicted to be 45F tonight.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Barrie and Chester, I've noticed that my daytime highs have been a 2-3 degree warmer than most. This doesn't just happen in winter either. 

1 hour ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Low is predicted to be 45F tonight.

Meg, I hope you don't have to cover anything?  Looks like Miami is going to go into the mid-50s, then back to normal, then back to the mid-50s. Its that time of year!

13 minutes ago, Palm crazy said:

Barrie and Chester, I've noticed that my daytime highs have been a 2-3 degree warmer than most. This doesn't just happen in winter either. 

Meg, I hope you don't have to cover anything?  Looks like Miami is going to go into the mid-50s, then back to normal, then back to the mid-50s. Its that time of year!

Not at 45. Below 40 I'll move potted stuff indoors and cover small coconut seedlings with blankets.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I get the sense that tonight is going to be a little colder than the last few "cold snaps" we've gotten here in Central FL. Currently 6:38pm and some areas outside the Orlando heat island are already in the high 40's.

• Upvote 1

I sure hope that January in November and December doesnt mean January and February are brutal...not sure I can handle that...

• Upvote 1

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

Really cold here tonight that's for sure! Already 35F at 6:30 pm. clear and 0 wind. 

Edited by Palm crazy

3 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Not at 45. Below 40 I'll move potted stuff indoors and cover small coconut seedlings with blankets.

Same here! Below 40 I put the tender potted plants away with some heat and usually I leave them there for the rest of winter. Lol! 

1 hour ago, Palm crazy said:

10:30 pm and 32F, check in the morning for the low. 

Your area at midnight PST/2am CST(my time)

0E5F5A9E-18A4-458D-9D7B-E315FB19106A.png

8 hours ago, Estlander said:

Your area at midnight PST/2am CST(my time)

0E5F5A9E-18A4-458D-9D7B-E315FB19106A.png

I live in between the 29f and 27f on your map at midnight..... but it bottom out at 25F for the lowest temp. The airport hit 17F nice and sunny this morning and one more cold night then it warms back up. Cannas look a little fried. lol.

36 F this morning here and warming up more each successive day.  Cannas still looking good!  

33 minutes ago, Chester B said:

36 F this morning here and warming up more each successive day.  Cannas still looking good!  

Good for you Chester. 25F here, this is why I can't have big palms always lower in colder z8, LOL! Today will be one of the coldest days with a high of 44F but it could get up to 46F like yesterday. At the last minute last night I did put my two-year-old potted geranium inside the unheated greenhouse, it's about two feet tall still looks good. 

Edited by Palm crazy

We're projected to be in the mid to high 40's for the next while so it's not exactly Florida, but at least we've been doing pretty good with the overnight lows.  I'm surprised that you aren't an 8B with the water close by.  I can say that from people who lived here all their lives they say that the climate has changed dramatically within the last 5-10 years.  Much warmer and much drier, all the older homes don't even have AC.  The data does support their claims.  I'm looking forward to when I can grow some CIDP's like they do in southern Oregon. 

47 minutes ago, Palm crazy said:

Good for you Chester. 25F here, this is why I can't have big palms always lower in colder z8, LOL! 

And I've seen some of your pics of your palms.  Much larger than anything I have!  

We had a low of 55F here last night at 51N in northwestern Europe. We had a low of 57F the night before. Very, very mild for this time of year. But the days are only about 5F warmer than the nights. It has coincided with heavy, prolonged rain as well due to the gulf stream, Atlantic influence. No frost forecast between now and Christmas.  

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

Hey my friend from Aberdeen WA told me during the big freeze I had he only got down to 32F for one night. Aberdeen WA is 9a but he lives in the hills which are 8b, must be nice to live in such a warm place very close to the ocean but 80" of yearly rain would be a killjoy for me. LOL! here is buck he took this weekend in his backyard. 

unnamed.jpg

• Upvote 2

Lowest here last week was 28°F / -2°C over night on one occasion. Loquat, Garrya Elliptica and Callistemon still in bloom as well as the usual Fatsia and Arbutus.unedo.

Cheers, Barrie.

I've avoided the freezing Temps so far but got a long way to go till March. This is part of the things moved in for winter. Hope they don't get too sun deprived...a repeat loop....year after year....bring on spring.

20181205_100530.jpg

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

12 hours ago, Las Palmas Norte said:

Lowest here last week was 28°F / -2°C over night on one occasion. Loquat, Garrya Elliptica and Callistemon still in bloom as well as the usual Fatsia and Arbutus.unedo.

Cheers, Barrie.

Barrie the cold spell was right over my area got down to 24F. -4.4c

3 hours ago, Alicehunter2000 said:

I've avoided the freezing Temps so far but got a long way to go till March. This is part of the things moved in for winter. Hope they don't get too sun deprived...a repeat loop....year after year....bring on spring.

20181205_100530.jpg

Dave, it makes a nice room divider. 

@Alicehunter2000 I feel your pain! But luckily I have a shop with HVAC to store plants and thankfully most will be planted by March B)

Screenshot_20181210-165651_Gallery.thumb

Edited by mdsonofthesouth

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

30 minutes ago, mdsonofthesouth said:

@Alicehunter2000 I feel your pain! But luckily I have a shop with HVAC to store plants and thankfully most will be planted by March B)

Screenshot_20181210-165651_Gallery.thumb

Palms staying warm inside, car's outside cold for the morning commute. Gotta love your priorities :greenthumb:

43 minutes ago, RJ said:

Palms staying warm inside, car's outside cold for the morning commute. Gotta love your priorities :greenthumb:

Haha I live out in the country so there is zero problem starting my truck and letting it warm for a hair while I get the kids packed up. Plus both of my garages will likely never see a car parked in them as they double for a shop, datacenter and office.

20180824_114140.thumb.jpg.7edf4945d01954

Edited by mdsonofthesouth

54 minutes ago, mdsonofthesouth said:

Haha I live out in the country so there is zero problem starting my truck and letting it warm for a hair while I get the kids packed up. Plus both of my garages will likely never see a car parked in them as they double for a shop, datacenter and office.

Whoa looks like the hulks day trading center. :blink:

Here’s my potted palm collection brought in for the night. Triple Adonidia Merrillii, L. Nitida and P. Sylvestris.

Currently it’s 44F in the coldest part of the yard. Forecasted to go down to 41F between 4-7am. Not low enough to damage anything but certainly low enough to cause some stress, so inside they go. 

E9499D1E-78C0-4654-B66D-8B766B104527.jpeg

Edited by Estlander