IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Coconut broken root on newly emerged sprout

Rickybobby

Hey everyone when doing some moving around somehow the first root broke off my coconut seedling. Is it doomed or will it find a way

E8CF83D4-9A0F-46B2-A021-EEB13454049B.jpeg

Usually, a broken root on a seedling is a broken root of doom.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

8 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

Usually, a broken root on a seedling is a broken root of doom.

I wonder if I keep it under the heat and se what happen. It sucks. But at least I’ve had good germination rates. I do have more 

15 hours ago, sandgroper said:

How are your other coconuts going mate?  Would love to see a few pics if you have time. 

Will get some soon. I’m learning the hard way sometimes. I’ve had such a great germination rate but cooked a couple as well. My oldest one has been slow since most of his life has been inside due to timing. But still looks ok. 

• Upvote 1

In all his glory. 10 months old. He could look a lot better. But a lot has been learned along the way. The Palm has its own grow light. And room is very warm 76f now. There is some slight root damage from some older soil. I reduced the pot the size and increased drainage. So I’m sure that didn’t help. Still going. I hope it pulls through. It is my baby 

5E14E784-138C-4BB3-88E2-BA5BF0C011EC.jpeg

• Upvote 2

It’s covered in an antitranspirant which does help. Currently I have the dehumidifier on and set to 40 percent for two reasons. Warm the room up and help my desert palms dry out a bit. Iam going to let the humidity build again soon. This coconut is small for its age but it’s been a blessing to be able to germinate it and care for it. 

I reckon you've done really well with your coconut,  it looks perfectly fine to me  mate. I think its great that you're growing coconuts in Canada,  it's always good fun having an experiment on the go like this. The hardest part will be when the palm gets too big to have inside, you'll have some soul searching to do then.

20 minutes ago, sandgroper said:

I reckon you've done really well with your coconut,  it looks perfectly fine to me  mate. I think its great that you're growing coconuts in Canada,  it's always good fun having an experiment on the go like this. The hardest part will be when the palm gets too big to have inside, you'll have some soul searching to do then.

Soul searching?  Perhaps... but at least he has friends in Florida that will be glad to adopt new children ;)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

I may donate it to my palm nursery he can sell it or give it to a customer malls and convention centres suck them up 

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Here’s an update on the germinated coconut that I broke the root off. Doesn’t seem like it was affected at all

D161610A-11BC-4361-A9E6-E3DA4F198459.jpeg

• Upvote 1

When my nursery empties out eventually I’m not going to experiment with everything like last year. Ok going to stick to only a few species but the coconut is one of them. Why 2.99 at grocery store. My daughter loves picking them out and they grow super fast so we can surround our backyard with them other than that. Sticking with more pot friendly species 

That little coconut looks terrific mate, it looks to have a really strong stocky shoot, doesn't look like losing a root has set it back at all.

• Upvote 1

• 4 years later...

Hey my coconut sprout is broken completely it was about 1.5cm in length without root white in color. Will it grow again??

Edited by deepanshu

On 12/30/2018 at 1:05 PM, Rickybobby said:

Here’s an update on the germinated coconut that I broke the root off. Doesn’t seem like it was affected at all

D161610A-11BC-4361-A9E6-E3DA4F198459.jpeg

HOW did you break the root off of it???  That must have really taken some effort.

John

On 1/8/2023 at 4:48 PM, Bkue said:

I had a squirrel chew the stem off but root is still good. Think it will RE shoot? 

I doubt it, but you could keep it for a while and see.  If the stem part gets eaten off, or broken off, that is basically the death of the palm, especially if it happens down to the bud, which is the growth point of a palm in the center of the crown.

John