IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

2018/19 Winter Low Temps

PalmatierMeg

Nice present. I assume I will get a similar present. I'm praying my palms don't get belated coal in their stockings in mid-Jan.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

20 minutes ago, Walt said:

Meg:  I will take some photos of my coconut palm and post them later showing the K deficiency already in the lower most fronds. Since my nighttime temps are lower than yours, my coconut palm probably shows more K deficiency. My soil temperatures are probably lower. One juvenile coconut palm that was given to me earlier this year really shows K deficiency, unless somehow it was frost damaged. To my knowledge I haven't had any frost here. But it's possible I had frost because the Sebring FAWN weather tower recorded a low of 41 degrees on December 11th, the coldest so far this fall and winter. I generally run a few degrees colder, so the low may have dipped into the high 30s at my place. But my wife walks our three dogs every morning before the sun is up and she never observed any frost so far.

This morning I checked Lake Placid's Elementary School STEM weather station and found a 10-day Christmas present: 

Christmas day 10-day forecast.png

Merry Christmas Walt,

Some of my coconuts are showing spots also, I know they do show K deficiency but I believe it is more than that. Once you get into the mid to lower 40's coconuts, especially young ones will show cold damage. Never fails every year you will see that. I went out the last cold spell and used my laser temperature gun and saw a lot of temperature ranges. The ambient air was 45, but the palms read 40-41, the side of the house was 50. The grass read 43. Immediately after that event the coconuts and a few other tender palms showed spotting. I would think K deficiency would show up a little later but not immediately. What the actual process that happens within the cell's of the palm I really don't know as it is still above freezing, as far as I know, but here in the Cape while driving around I see a lot of juvenile coconuts with cold damage. The adult ones look great except for some of the lower fronds.

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

4 hours ago, Palmaceae said:

Merry Christmas Walt,

Some of my coconuts are showing spots also, I know they do show K deficiency but I believe it is more than that. Once you get into the mid to lower 40's coconuts, especially young ones will show cold damage. Never fails every year you will see that. I went out the last cold spell and used my laser temperature gun and saw a lot of temperature ranges. The ambient air was 45, but the palms read 40-41, the side of the house was 50. The grass read 43. Immediately after that event the coconuts and a few other tender palms showed spotting. I would think K deficiency would show up a little later but not immediately. What the actual process that happens within the cell's of the palm I really don't know as it is still above freezing, as far as I know, but here in the Cape while driving around I see a lot of juvenile coconuts with cold damage. The adult ones look great except for some of the lower fronds.

I believe you are correct, as per the University of Florida (I once read in one of their publications, and now I can't find it). When tropical palms are used to temperatures in the 80s F, then a cold front -- not a freezing front -- comes in and abruptly drops temperatures into the 40s, the palms get chill damage (which is different than freezing cold damage). I think that's what happened to my coconut palm, as the damage manifested it self fairly quick, say within one week's time or less. I noticed the color change more and more each passing day.

That's the problem with Florida, seems we never make a slow transition into colder temperatures where palms and tropicals can harden off slowly. 

So, again, I believe you are correct. What my coconut palm is seeing is chill damage, for the most part. I was feeding my coconut palm 8-2-12 (with magnesium and minors) every two weeks during the fall, as I wanted my palm to uptake as much minerals as possible to help stave off K deficiency, and to also give it a slight antifreeze effect.

And BTW -- Merry Christmas to you, too!

Mad about palms

5 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Nice present. I assume I will get a similar present. I'm praying my palms don't get belated coal in their stockings in mid-Jan.

Santa is delivering you a nice present also! 

Cape Coral, Florida 10-day forecast.png

Mad about palms

I took these photos today showing the chilling damage of my green Malayan dwarf coconut palm. Notice the juvenile coconut to the left in first photo. I don't know the variety of this coconut, only that it came from Key Largo (neighbor picked it up down there and gave it to me). The small coconut in the last photo is one I sprouted from my mother tree. It's under carrot wood tree canopy and partial Ficus altissima canopy.

Coconut 1.jpg

Coconut 2.jpg

Coconut 3.jpg

Coconut 5.jpg

• Like 1

Mad about palms

I have a PWS at my place in Se fla, lowest I’ve gotten this winter is (spoiled) 50.4f on Nov 28.. Coldest temp I’ve recorded since I got it was 40.6f on Jan 16 this year<_<

• 1 month later...

Today my wife and I had to drive up to Sebring to run some errands, and on the way home I decided to check out some coconut palms on Tubbs Road (about 1/4 mile from the Sun Trust Bank where the five women were killed (one woman was my neighbor across the street from me, and another used to work with my wife at the Sebring Publix).

In any event, I spotted these palms on Google map a couple of years ago, but I never bothered to check them out. There's a group of three coconuts at one residence (with 2-3 smaller ones in the background, that I didn't notice on the older Google street view). At an adjacent residence there is a single coconut palm. All the palms look a bit ratty, like they suffered from some chilling damage. I estimate these palms are approximately 300 feet from the south shore of Little Lake Jackson. I look forward to seeing these palms this coming fall after they've had a chance to grow many more healthy green fronds.

Little_Lake_Jackson_coconuts_1.jpg

Little Lake Jackson coconuts 2.jpg

Little lake Jackson coconuts 1a.jpg

Litle Lake Jackson coconuts 2a.jpg

• Like 3

Mad about palms