IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

PalmTreeDude

So far we got down to 23 degrees F. All of the palms (of course) are fine. Some get pretty big over the summer, especially my needle palm, it was covered by the bananas, and now that I can see the while palm, it got really big, much bigger than it looks in the pictures. 

1542993969339253.jpg

1542993968970747.jpg

1542993969730124.jpg

• Upvote 6

PalmTreeDude

My pindos, one is really small and in the middle of the yard. (I know, it is not looking to good due to neglect, if it survives the winter I am digging it up and putting it somewhere else in the Spring)

154299397006927.jpg

1542993970475815.jpg

Edited by PalmTreeDude
  • Upvote 4

PalmTreeDude

My large number of Sabal palmetto seedlings from a seed stalk. I basically threw them everywhere. This will be their second winter, some more popped up over the summer. 

1542993971583194.jpg

1542993971273914.jpg

1542993972412122.jpg

• Upvote 3

PalmTreeDude

Protection:

Needle Palm - None.

Pindos - Only on the coldest nights.

Sabal palmetto - None (also, there are simply far too many to protect).

Mediterranean Fan Palm - Only on the coldest night, I am debating whether or not I should protect it at all this winter, if I don't and it dies, I will replace it with a Saw palmetto or Sabal minor. 

• Upvote 1

PalmTreeDude

Needle looks great. All your palms will benefit if you remove all turf/weeds in an 18" to 24" circle around each plant and applying mulch 2-3" deep. Mulch will conserve moisture, stifle weeds and help insulate roots of all your palms. And they will look better, too. A few bags is all you need.

• Upvote 2

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I would protect your med fan to strengthen it for the spring. It unfortunately looks weak.

Zone 8a/8b Greenville, NC 

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

57 minutes ago, NC_Palms said:

I would protect your med fan to strengthen it for the spring. It unfortunately looks weak.

This is a palm I was going to "let go," which is something that I really don't like doing but my yard is getting crowded and I have no room inside for it at the time. But I am not sure about it. It has been there for a long time and I did not protect it last winter. I may protect it this winter and dig it up next Spring, although I am not sure how well they transplant. 

Edited by PalmTreeDude
  • Upvote 1

PalmTreeDude