IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What is your current yard temperature?

GottmitAlex

A nice last day of winter on deck today..

1176060062_Screenshot2023-02-28at11-44-10ChandlerAZ10-DayWeatherForecastWeatherUnderground.png.b78e7809da0e685a1fc4ea0f698b9c6f.png

One storm, and two cool nights ahead ..before what looks to be a nice stretch of weather ahead.. At least by the current forecast. Some other weather thoughts have a couple more storms in the cards for the area beyond next weekend. We'll see what happens..

As winter ends, a quick comparison between this and last winter here.. ( ** Via Accuweather past temp data for Chandler, AZ )

Dec:
22               **Unable to retrieve data ( from Accuweather ) for Dec. '21.   Needless to say, December of 2021 started off hot / above normal, then trended below normal near/after X-mas.
Lows below 35F :  3
^Lows below 30F:  0
Highs below 55F:  3
Highs above 75F:  0

Dec. 22 Lowest, 30F

Jan:
'22                                                      '23
Lows below 35F :  2                         *8
^ Lows below 30F:  0                          0
Highs below 55:  1                           *4
Highs above 75F:  0                            0

Jan. 23 Lowest, 30F.   
Jan. '23 most below 55 and 35 readings recorded.

Feb:
'22                                                     '23
Lows 35F and lower:   *5                  1
^ Lows Below 30F:   0                       0
Highs 55 and lower:  *4                    2
Highs above 75F :     *10                 1
Highs 90F+   0                                    0         

Feb. 23 Lowest, 30F. 
Feb. '22 most below 55 and 35 readings.  Feb. '22 = Highest total of 75F+ readings recorded.

^ = What whatever station Accuweather uses recorded. Various neighborhood stations via WX Underground saw lower readings during the same events each month, so yes, some parts of town did drop below 30F at least once or twice per month this winter.

*= Highest total of X readings recorded each month per winter season.

As spring starts, some stuff to watch as we head for some March Madness..  For the moment, like where things may be headed, but not putting a stamp of approval on any forecast for now..

***Photo / Info Credit:  Spot On Weather ***

369328063_Screenshot2023-02-28at10-29-58SpotOnWeather(@eulermatthew4)_Twitter.png.be01354d8b941e2c467e7fdb839a0075.png

ECMWF forecasts:

2043696219_Screenshot2023-02-28at10-31-01SpotOnWeather(@eulermatthew4)_Twitter.png.9f6dfe79d0b0908c017a082eea81b2c1.png

524410258_Screenshot2023-02-28at12-43-16SpotOnWeather(@eulermatthew4)_Twitter.png.03c4963b9e12836d8dd3dc5bfd54dca0.png

1693235622_Screenshot2023-02-28at12-41-48SpotOnWeather(@eulermatthew4)_Twitter.png.e3ce0e6f82be2a9df0fae75b578714ed.png

551419218_Screenshot2023-02-28at12-42-59SpotOnWeather(@eulermatthew4)_Twitter.thumb.png.eb304bca8f0d117ddb8e4e91a5644e6a.png

1225053573_Screenshot2023-02-28at12-42-27SpotOnWeather(@eulermatthew4)_Twitter.thumb.png.6b26ae69238d20cd81ff38a6f5183ce3.png

1279487634_Screenshot2023-02-28at12-42-18SpotOnWeather(@eulermatthew4)_Twitter.thumb.png.9d5b8ad03b7fc9de27abbf303b77e19a.png

1121524114_Screenshot2023-02-28at12-42-10SpotOnWeather(@eulermatthew4)_Twitter.thumb.png.240ee88893586f7783c73984fbb02aaf.png

GEFS Forecasts:

776858912_Screenshot2023-02-28at10-30-26SpotOnWeather(@eulermatthew4)_Twitter.png.67bb21b47d8ec193d98c5ce42af130c4.png

1002124451_Screenshot2023-02-28at12-37-43SpotOnWeather(@eulermatthew4)_Twitter.png.7451aecb4939338ee2a4f107f2fae9b3.png

2010079961_Screenshot2023-02-28at12-37-27SpotOnWeather(@eulermatthew4)_Twitter.thumb.png.ecab1f19616ce68b21eba08a892ead1c.png

86787604_Screenshot2023-02-28at12-37-18SpotOnWeather(@eulermatthew4)_Twitter.thumb.png.5ab5cc5e858067d2f07b3036fa5ea2ed.png

163356091_Screenshot2023-02-28at12-37-08SpotOnWeather(@eulermatthew4)_Twitter.thumb.png.4cca3d481fa9e1cc142d28d8dbc08627.png

503103130_Screenshot2023-02-28at12-36-59SpotOnWeather(@eulermatthew4)_Twitter.thumb.png.c258867c430d12757bc9b4d2a6e55889.png

1210773900_Screenshot2023-02-28at12-47-48SpotOnWeather(@eulermatthew4)_Twitter.png.68e501e812c7de6baa7f52243e397f55.png

In a nutshell:   The "idea" of an overall pattern shift to a cooler East / milder ..or warmer.. West   occurring over the next couple weeks appears to have some teeth.. For the moment anyway..  Doesn't mean we'll see an early start to nothing but upper 80s / 90s, or that it will Snow in Florida, though " False Spring " may get a hard kick to the N**s in some areas back there soon.

For the West, If it does trend back toward positive, would like to see the PNA higher than +1 for a change to sustained, and widespread above normal temperatures.

***Since it is seldom discussed, a simplified idea of what both the EPO ( Eastern Pacific Oscillation ) and WPO ( Western Pacific Oscillation ) phases ( in winter ) mean, ...for the Southwest / CA specifically..  Both Teleconnections influence rainfall / our wonderful "Nuke Fests" during the summer as well. 

*** Keep in mind, these are " general " ideas on what effects each can have on the weather during a particular phase. Obviously, other teleconnections in the atmosphere can amplify or dampen the influence of each / both at any given time. ***

EPO Phases  ( In Winter / Spring )

Positive: Cool / Cold and Dry

Negative: Warm / Wet

WPO Phases:

Positive: Warm / Dry

Negative:  Cool / Cold / Wet

The soil here is still moist. Plucking weeds was not at the top of my list for things to do in the desert, but here we are. Everywhere I go the desert is green, green, green.

Irrigation still off since the start of December.

A very unofficial reading for rainfall in my yard since the start of monsoon '22 is currently 16.26" with a bit more likely tomorrow to start March.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

🤦‍♂️ sigh,  While quite rare, esp. these days, Snowfall at lower elevations in CA,  ...to sea level in fact,  has occurred numerous times in the past.. Even across the L.A. Basin / San Diego.  This isn't anything new.

Why so rude? I just said I've never found anything about snow landing this low in the LA area. I don't live there and I haven't even heard anybody talking about it either, so how I'm supposed to know? That's why I was asking... 😅

Yes it's me Hortulanus 😂

Just now, Hortulanus said:

Why so rude? I just said I've never found anything about snow landing this low in the LA area. I don't live there any I haven't even heard anybody talking about it either, so how I'm supposed to know? That's why I was asking... 😅

Not being rude at all,  just tired of the constant " Oh my god! ..it snows in lower elevation areas of CA??  No way!! "  I hear spoken too often

Not implying this includes you but it is like a lot of people don't study the climate history of various places and just assume that, ...when it happens,  ...what is unusual, ..-but not unheard-of-  weather occurring somewhere it usually doesn't = Sky is falling / extra drama-infused posts. 

In today's age, it is easy to look up  even the most basic of historical stats and respond in a way like : " Interesting weather everyone out there is having, Looks like it has been awhile since it last occurred.. Stay safe and get out and enjoy it while it lasts "  vs. " Mann, this is crazy.. it never < insert  X' unusual but historically documented weather event >  here". 

Really looking forward to the day a legit, strong Tropical Storm or cat 1 Hurricane pays the Golden State ( my home state ) a nice, extended visit.. or it rains so much here during a summer that there are literal lakes forming in the desert.  Anyone who thinks that either of those things never happened here -or there- before,  didn't do their homework.  Simple as that. haha. 

As far as no one talking about the snow, Been all over Twitter / local / U.S. News since it was forecast, even see posts about it in Europe. ...Depending on which forecasters you check in with of course.
Had i not checked in w/ some of the forecasters on that side of the pond,  i'd never had known parts of France and Spain, which typically don't see snow most winters, had some a few days ago..  Interesting weather for sure, but not un unheard of there either. 

12 weeks straight of 115+F heat in summer across  all  of Europe / 16ft of snow in Miami might  qualify as un heard of however. 

On 2/26/2023 at 1:15 PM, Hortulanus said:

I've never found anything about snowfall THIS low in the Los Angeles area?! I just read an article about it. Has this occured before ??? 🤯

I know it seems perhaps impossible from a European viewpoint to understand it in the "tropical" (NOT) climate of Southern California. Eventually mother nature defeats the claims of the tourist press-machine. Yes, it has certainly snowed in Southern California many times over the years. It's not common, and doesn't generally last long. The first snowfall I encountered was in Kindergarten in 1967, in San Diego. We were allowed to run out from the classroom to catch the flakes as they fell (I remember I was fascinated that they melted as soon as they hit the asphalt). I also remember it snowing on the beach in Malibu sometime in the late '80s or early '90s. And there are a number of famous snowfalls from earlier in the 20th century. One of the most famous was the snow that occurred in Los Angeles in 1932. Here is a photo of the UCLA campus during that snow-storm.  Also here. And the 1949 snow event was also a very big deal in Los Angeles. That one included a multi-day event with freezes that reached in the neighborhood of 18-20F each morning at the Huntington Botanical Gardens near Pasadena.

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

11 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Not being rude at all,  just tired of the constant " Oh my god! ..it snows in lower elevation areas of CA??  No way!! "  I hear spoken too often

Not implying this includes you but it is like a lot of people don't study the climate history of various places and just assume that, ...when it happens,  ...what is unusual, ..-but not unheard-of-  weather occurring somewhere it usually doesn't = Sky is falling / extra drama-infused posts. 

In today's age, it is easy to look up  even the most basic of historical stats and respond in a way like : " Interesting weather everyone out there is having, Looks like it has been awhile since it last occurred.. Stay safe and get out and enjoy it while it lasts "  vs. " Mann, this is crazy.. it never < insert  X' unusual but historically documented weather event >  here". 

Really looking forward to the day a legit, strong Tropical Storm or cat 1 Hurricane pays the Golden State ( my home state ) a nice, extended visit.. or it rains so much here during a summer that there are literal lakes forming in the desert.  Anyone who thinks that either of those things never happened here -or there- before,  didn't do their homework.  Simple as that. haha. 

As far as no one talking about the snow, Been all over Twitter / local / U.S. News since it was forecast, even see posts about it in Europe. ...Depending on which forecasters you check in with of course.
Had i not checked in w/ some of the forecasters on that side of the pond,  i'd never had known parts of France and Spain, which typically don't see snow most winters, had some a few days ago..  Interesting weather for sure, but not un unheard of there either. 

12 weeks straight of 115+F heat in summer across  all  of Europe / 16ft of snow in Miami might  qualify as un heard of however. 

Well when I searched the internet for some information about snow in the basin of Los Angeles years ago I didn't find much. Especially no pictures or videos. Just some very light snow in the higher elevation areas. The only thing I found was records on frost occuring in many parts of the metropolitan area and I also know that frost is quite common in the north east - more inland areas of the basin. Which for someone living 12-14 hours of flight away is probabaly already a lot.

The reaction on something is always based on the circumstances and the subjects involved. If I'm amazed or surprised by something it's just my honest reaction. You can't expect people to have the same emotions and be all calm about everything that is just a first time occurence. Because nothing is REALLY unheard of. If you see a rare or special car in the streets you can surely be amazed about it and say. "Wow! That's awesome! Never seen one before!". Or should one rather be like: "Well this is a relativley rare car yet it is still a mass production vehicle. I hope everyone stays safe."? My point is that being amazed or impressed just even by a rare occurence isn't anything wrong especially not on palmtalk where weather is a main subject. And I even asked if this has happened before. I've read about snow in L.A. on a local weather news site and this lead me to this post here.

In Europe we are having a lot of weather conditions that are unheard of. Temperatures above 40+ degress celsius occuring in some regions even once are a new thing for example. Despite that here it's rather the amount of events happening that were unheard of. We had a week's forecast in north western Europe with temperatures just supposed to go above 115 Fahrenheit for 1-3 days in 2022. It didn't occur. This was still enough to really go crazy about because this is extremely alarming. I don't think anybody here overreacted to this. I don't think that 12 weeks of such temperatures ALL around Europe just MIGHT qualify as an unheard of. It's also a completely different subject. Climate change and rare weather events have to be viewed seperately.

Yes it's me Hortulanus 😂

For us in San Diego, (downtown) it is very rare.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/150-years/sd-me-150-years-december-14-htmlstory.html

I understand where Hortalanus is coming from.   

Snow in downtown LA and SD is a very rare occurrence. 

Global warming I guess, err, "climate change". 

• Like 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

18 minutes ago, mnorell said:

I know it seems perhaps impossible from a European viewpoint to understand it in the "tropical" (NOT) climate of Southern California. Eventually mother nature defeats the claims of the tourist press-machine. Yes, it has certainly snowed in Southern California many times over the years. It's not common, and doesn't generally last long. The first snowfall I encountered was in Kindergarten in 1967, in San Diego. We were allowed to run out from the classroom to catch the flakes as they fell (I remember I was fascinated that they melted as soon as they hit the asphalt). I also remember it snowing on the beach in Malibu sometime in the late '80s or early '90s. And there are a number of famous snowfalls from earlier in the 20th century. One of the most famous was the snow that occurred in Los Angeles in 1932. Here is a photo of the UCLA campus during that snow-storm.  Also here. And the 1949 snow event was also a very big deal in Los Angeles. That one included a multi-day event with freezes that reached in the neighborhood of 18-20F each morning at the Huntington Botanical Gardens near Pasadena.

Thanks! That's the type of information I was looking for! 1949 seems to have been a very cold winter in many place around the world. I know that Southern California is not tropical and I also believe most people (who have any knowledge of climate or geography) in Europe know it's not. Many people call California the Mediterranean of the Americans here. But as we know about snow occuring in the Mediterranean here, some parts of very low level areas in Morocco have seen snow this winter as well. I know that this has happend before but it has been talked about and reported about more over the years because it's closer to us and a common tourist destination for Europeans. Los Angeles is not so common for people to go there, as it is so far away and very expensive just to fly over. New York is completely different for example. Maybe even Miami! I think Los Angeles is so well known here because of the entertainment industry. I just couldn't believe my eyes especially HOW MUCH snow came down in some parts of the Los Anegeles area. This is pretty rare even here.

• Like 1

Yes it's me Hortulanus 😂

7 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

For us in San Diego, (downtown) it is very rare.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/150-years/sd-me-150-years-december-14-htmlstory.html

I understand where Hortalanus is coming from.   

Snow in downtown LA and SD is a very rare occurrence. 

Global warming I guess, err, "climate change". 

Thank you. Yes but as I just posted climate change or global warming or whatever people want to call it, is not to confuse with rare weather events. So when somebody's just blown away and excited about seeing snow in LA for the first time it doesn't mean he's saying "OMG! Climate change I told you so! We're all going to die!" As I've noticed in this forum terms like climate change or global warming are very political in North America. I guess they are used often to divide people in politics. Here using words or making assumptions about climate is not so charged and it's not an agenda AS MUCH. I'm saying this because I just realised that I might just ran into something I'm not aware of.

• Like 1

Yes it's me Hortulanus 😂

7 minutes ago, Hortulanus said:

Well when I searched the internet for some information about snow in the basin of Los Angeles years ago I didn't find much. Especially no pictures or videos. Just some very light snow in the higher elevation areas. The only thing I found was records on frost occuring in many parts of the metropolitan area and I also know that frost is quite common in the north east - more inland areas of the basin. Which for someone living 12-14 hours of flight away is probabaly already a lot.

The reaction on something is always based on the circumstances and the subjects involved. If I'm amazed or surprised by something it's just my honest reaction. You can't expect people to have the same emotions and be all calm about everything that is just a first time occurence. Because nothing is REALLY unheard of. If you see a rare or special car in the streets you can surely be amazed about it and say. "Wow! That's awesome! Never seen one before!". Or should one rather be like: "Well this is a relativley rare car yet it is still a mass production vehicle. I hope everyone stays safe."? My point is that being amazed or impressed just even by a rare occurence isn't anything wrong especially not on palmtalk where weather is a main subject. And I even asked if this has happened before. I've read about snow in L.A. on a local weather news site and this lead me to this post here.

In Europe we are having a lot of weather conditions that are unheard of. Temperatures above 40+ degress celsius occuring in some regions even once are a new thing for example. Despite that here it's rather the amount of events happening that were unheard of. We had a week's forecast in north western Europe with temperatures just supposed to go above 115 Fahrenheit for 1-3 days in 2022. It didn't occur. This was still enough to really go crazy about because this is extremely alarming. I don't think anybody here overreacted to this. I don't think that 12 weeks of such temperatures ALL around Europe just MIGHT qualify as an unheard of. It's also a completely different subject. Climate change and rare weather events have to be viewed seperately.

Not into cars, so i just shrug whenever some unusual car passes by, even if the paint job is alright.  Cool would be watching an empty, -cuz we don't want to hurt anyone, except the car-, lol  Tesla randomly burst into flames in a parking lot ..One less Tesla thinking they're something special on the road, all the better.  Same with lifted trucks, another eyesore in parts of the U.S.  haha.

Growing up in CA, i'd never seen a tornado, until i chased a storm and ended up somewhere where one went right over head while living in Kansas.. Over react to the experience?, nah.  Think it was the coolest thing i'd experienced?  -at that time?-,  sure.  Can't count how many times i've had close calls with lightning when standing in a field, ..or the front yard...  at 2am w/ my camera and a metal tripod.   No worries. No time for all that..  fun, unforgettable experiences though. 

Some of the best people i've known through life taught the priceless lesson of  the " 3 C's " -Calm, Cool, and Collected-  Wayy better life's perspective than an overly exaggerated reaction -to anything / everything-. 

Anyhow...

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Not into cars, so i just shrug whenever some unusual car passes by, even if the paint job is alright.  Cool would be watching an empty, -cuz we don't want to hurt anyone, except the car-, lol  Tesla randomly burst into flames in a parking lot ..One less Tesla thinking they're something special on the road, all the better.  Same with lifted trucks, another eyesore in parts of the U.S.  haha.

Growing up in CA, i'd never seen a tornado, until i chased a storm and ended up somewhere where one went right over head while living in Kansas.. Over react to the experience?, nah.  Think it was the coolest thing i'd experienced?  -at that time?-,  sure.  Can't count how many times i've had close calls with lightning when standing in a field, ..or the front yard...  at 2am w/ my camera and a metal tripod.   No worries. No time for all that..  fun, unforgettable experiences though. 

Some of the best people i've known through life taught the priceless lesson of  the " 3 C's " -Calm, Cool, and Collected-  Wayy better life's perspective than an overly exaggerated reaction -to anything / everything-. 

Anyhow...

I don't think you're getting my point but anyhow... Life's great and being excited is not an overly exaggerated reaction to me. - Coming from a very calm person. We have a saying here, derived from a work of Friedrich Schiller: "Live and let live."

• Like 1

Yes it's me Hortulanus 😂

Currently 3°C at around 11:30 p.m.. Today's high was 10°C. All week has been very sunny but cold and windy. Several nights with light frosts, Last night the airport weather station bottomed out at -4°C. With -2.3°C in my garden and 0.0°C at the inner city weather station. Around midnight it has been the coldest because slight cloud cover came in but disappeared shortly after. Luckily no further temperature drop. Despite the cold weather I measured almost 30 degrees celsius! in the sun. Just shows how much plants can get warmed up even during cold days. Towards the weekend we are expecting clouds and warmer nighttime temperatures.

Last night's lows at all official weather stations we have:

City centre                           Airport                        Fairground                           University
1.PNG.78bcb65393991d110cd9eff39b26c9a9.PNG2.PNG.b6d95d8baebf64e7e1e22b9a1f988492.PNG3.PNG.8f23d684acd982f09b84c591de4ffd1b.PNG4.PNG.fb926425b5a79521a2343ffc5a76b857.PNG

• Like 1

Yes it's me Hortulanus 😂

On 2/28/2023 at 1:43 PM, Silas_Sancona said:

🤦‍♂️ sigh,  While quite rare, esp. these days, Snowfall at lower elevations in CA,  ...to sea level in fact,  has occurred numerous times in the past.. Even across the L.A. Basin / San Diego.  This isn't anything new.

It's even snowed in Miami, back in '77.  Not that much, just flurries.  Unusual weather is nothing new. 

• Upvote 1

david

5.2ºC at the moment.  It's been feeling pretty cold since the weekend, but that's relative to a fairly mild February.  Forecasts for the week to two ahead look colder than anything that occurred in February.  Shame because I was hoping for Spring.  It's unusual for March to be colder than February here (a long time to go of course before we will know), I think the last time might have been 2013 or 2014.  In one of those (don't quote me though) I think March was the coldest "winter" month.  That certainly won't happen this year, because we had a pretty bad December.

• Like 2

Manchester, Lancashire, England

53.4ºN, 2.2ºW, 65m AMSL

Köppen climate Cfb | USDA hardiness zone 9a

1 hour ago, Ryland said:

5.2ºC at the moment.  It's been feeling pretty cold since the weekend, but that's relative to a fairly mild February.  Forecasts for the week to two ahead look colder than anything that occurred in February.  Shame because I was hoping for Spring.  It's unusual for March to be colder than February here (a long time to go of course before we will know), I think the last time might have been 2013 or 2014.  In one of those (don't quote me though) I think March was the coldest "winter" month.  That certainly won't happen this year, because we had a pretty bad December.

For us December has been the coldest in 10 years but I also feel like after a "springy" January and Feburary, March is turning out to be "wintery". Forecast for 2 weeks looks rather cold, unusually cold for March. We had light frosts almost all week which is not good because of the warm temepratures before a lot of plants are already in growing mode.

• Like 2

Yes it's me Hortulanus 😂

4 hours ago, popper1 said:

It's even snowed in Miami, back in '77.  Not that much, just flurries.  Unusual weather is nothing new. 

Can't remember when it happened, but remember hearing about it snowing in Cuba as well, flakes at least.  Believe flakes have been recorded in the Yucatan at some point in the past as well. 

Was either '76 or '77 when where i grew up in San Jose saw a dusting.  There's a picture of my grandparent's house w/ snow on the ground there in a drawer here somewhere.

Came close a few times in the 80's / once or twice in the early 90's, but it wasn't until 2010, -when i lived in Clearwater-, that i saw "actual" snowflakes in the air  -at sea level. (Roughly  7am, as we arrived to a landscape maintenance job up near Palm Harbor that morning )

A dream crushing reality check for all the talk online of  "Snow at Disneyland" today...   Wasn't actual Snow.

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/snow-in-orange-county-disneyland-california/3105800/

Edited by Silas_Sancona
edit
  • Like 1

Today we had the coldest morning of this winter 3.8C 

Temp is currently 22c

20 miles to the east of us (Tecate, CA - Tecate, MX) they bottomed out at -3c. Many folks had a tough time opening their car doors. 

• Like 4

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Chilly 53F after the roar of March blew through yesterday and overnight.. I was asleep but apparently some lingering, wrap around showers brought a few flakes to parts of Chandler, Gilbert, and around San Tan Valley late last night. Mountains around town are sugar coated atm..

Couple chilly nights left in the tank tonight / tomorrow night, before changes begin..  Cautiously watching the forecasts, but looking more and more like "Spring In The Desert" will be making it's way to town shortly..

1582526983_Screenshot2023-03-02at15-01-50ChandlerAZ10-DayWeatherForecastWeatherUnderground.png.fb8a774a658d63a9451e05951fe1b323.png

Tucson saw a nice dusting of fluff late last night / this morning..  Hope the Snow Lovers there are enjoying it while it lasts.. Heating up down there too shortly. ...Or is how the forecasts are looking right now.

1266141310_Screenshot2023-03-02at15-20-33TucsonAZ10-DayWeatherForecastWeatherUnderground.png.911f9bc660478680be8bfffa89749cbc.png

Some Snow-related Tweets from T -Town:

1575999078_Screenshot2023-03-02at15-27-25NWSTucson(@NWSTucson)_Twitter.png.ad349d44feb618c0aaf7ba9181eefdb5.png

2093512464_Screenshot2023-03-02at15-25-51NWSTucson(@NWSTucson)_Twitter.png.cb85e356c874d836c6f46b1ef690b859.png

863109228_Screenshot2023-03-02at15-26-21NWSTucson(@NWSTucson)_Twitter.png.7799311a2f9cb8d60efe6bf672c4d3fc.png

466214710_Screenshot2023-03-02at15-25-11NWSTucson(@NWSTucson)_Twitter.png.1971654b7f96d22abc5d0ece91d6d7ac.png

727911701_Screenshot2023-03-02at15-26-41NWSTucson(@NWSTucson)_Twitter.png.05be3352702ad183f8319bfe37f03b4f.png

16778047342405111470166353291999.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

The high was 52f in London yesterday and it was sunny all day. It looks like March is going to be a terrible month with below average temperatures, the Jetstream has been behaving very strangely this winter. I can only hope it returns back to normal by the end of March.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

An absolutely beautiful day today, top of 27c and currently at 10.00pm down to 20c. Heading for another nice day of 29c tomorrow before the weather warms up again during the week. 

• Upvote 1

Circling 60F at 9:07AM under high clouds and no wind.. On the way to the lower 70's later.

Overall, week ahead is looking pretty niice.. We'll see if we actually string together a 2 to 4 day stretch of upper 70's low 80s beyond Thursday ( some disagreement among various forecasts atm )

Regardless, lookin' good..  A nice dash of Bam!  for all the spring flowering stuff in need of a little more heat to get things going.

1938405537_Screenshot2023-03-05at09-07-04ChandlerAZ10-DayWeatherForecastWeatherUnderground.png.829588443d88e71aed5b57d8ff0855bc.png

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Circling 60F at 9:07AM under high clouds and no wind.. On the way to the lower 70's later.

Overall, week ahead is looking pretty niice.. We'll see if we actually string together a 2 to 4 day stretch of upper 70's low 80s beyond Thursday ( some disagreement among various forecasts atm )

Regardless, lookin' good..  A nice dash of Bam!  for all the spring flowering stuff in need of a little more heat to get things going.

1938405537_Screenshot2023-03-05at09-07-04ChandlerAZ10-DayWeatherForecastWeatherUnderground.png.829588443d88e71aed5b57d8ff0855bc.png

Perfect....

1811012789_Screenshot2023-03-05at17-19-26ChandlerAZ10-DayWeatherForecastWeatherUnderground.png.2dbefd0c7fe7319920c0392dc7da7699.png

Oh yeah?  ..Stop teasing me extended forecast, haha.. 🙃

• Like 1

Today was the coldest March day in 5 years with a max of just 5.7C / 42F here and colder than any max temp throughout February. Also the coldest day going way back to 24th January. No frost or anything in recent nights, although that will change as we go into next week and this cold snap intensifies.

The lack of rainfall is very concerning as we head towards summer. Only 7mm / 0.2 inches at Heathrow over past 8 weeks. In comparison, Los Angeles has had 350mm+ / 14 inches.

FqJcUvcWABkVQbO.jpg.df50bb88e0e57851b8e8cc15463c761e.jpg

FqYjox1XwAABE9R.thumb.jpg.3e9dc730206fad8df9f8d117eb8c3d76.jpg

FqXsNBYWYAIAO1e.thumb.jpg.c2463e1c44b77694b11a7b24e9b292db.jpg

The fires are going yet again over here despite the cool temperatures. I had a helicopter going back and forth over my area on Saturday evening dropping water.

331641689_1182128949170532_8883730539097403959_n.thumb.jpg.029f0e29389b8fef7486d0d5ddae7e64.jpg

v861d0Jz.thumb.jpg.a1136f1d2c548b99a824779c70574b8d.jpg

Fp7Npn-XwAIOc71.thumb.jpg.ec6c5b8df650533cb7a65aaff015d047.jpg

Xgns5AYY.thumb.jpg.8e3d74487a6da70e1baa2ae928a6542e.jpg

FqFXNcTWcAAZD4M.thumb.jpg.4c5f4943113a5f751be0c6b96e4b9940.jpg

FqJkW2pXgAAyV1d.thumb.jpg.30a27b49f91b9cd6267ee03af5517616.jpg

327081623_3553151774971840_6442795148752428437_n.thumb.jpg.1330685777384cd3f28551d49e23cf0a.jpg

FqJkW2oWAA4hsgO.thumb.jpg.2e49d974bdb810d47ef5f7a607bc5cd5.jpg

Likely some rainfall in the coming days, but probably light minuscule amounts that do nothing to replenish ground water or rivers. Summer may be a rough one again.

Edited by UK_Palms
  • Like 1

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

1 hour ago, Palm Sundae said:

Time to dig out the fertilizer...

Sure is... 

736366575_Screenshot2023-03-06at16-46-16ChandlerAZ10-DayWeatherForecastWeatherUnderground.png.b59c60d74d8d841254bb97d4f6213d89.png

• Like 3

22c here @4:34pm PST

• Like 3

5°C at 2 a.m.. Very cold weather for March. Even going colder towards the middle of the week with a high of only 2°C and a low of 0°C predicted for Wednesday. Finally some rain coming in though. The Rhine river has very low water levels. Towards the weekend temperatures will supposedly go up again to about 15°C.

• Like 4

Yes it's me Hortulanus 😂

It was -2.0ºC overnight, having just risen to 0.2ºC now, which makes that the coldest March night in my location in quite a few years, as well as one of the latest frosts.  No snow here but I believe they've had snow to the north, east, and south... I think we might get some tomorrow.

• Like 2

Manchester, Lancashire, England

53.4ºN, 2.2ºW, 65m AMSL

Köppen climate Cfb | USDA hardiness zone 9a

Low of 34f last night hopefully this cold spell is gone by tomorrow.  It's currently 35.5f at 8.30am and very cloudy.  The night started off with clear skies untill it turned to cloud around 2am.

• Like 1

Aghhhh I went the whole winter without having any snow and now we get into March we get dumped on here. Quite a significant amount, although it was still +1C / 34F at sunrise this morning. It has mostly melted away already here and has been replaced with rain. I’m looking at a pathetic max of 3C / 38F and on course for my coldest March day in 37 years now.

90564201-4D62-4E7F-8C9E-9695E933F837.thumb.jpeg.82ef89b0d9d5434fa43d70f70166e5f3.jpeg

7547CCEB-35A8-4768-BEEF-7D1D7B27EC81.thumb.jpeg.ea6d43ae78b8ff2e0765beda915c5ad7.jpeg

1463A98F-870E-4350-9202-2DE38307F05D.thumb.jpeg.89638317f5a0c6aedbc760bd9099e171.jpeg

993CD0C7-37DA-4187-AB50-CBD2CABD98CD.thumb.jpeg.67037cd67e2797565c69ede17b578b02.jpeg

Last night was the coldest night of this year (2023) for the UK with -15.4C / 4F in Scotland. That is also the coldest March temperature in the UK since 2010.

A number of date records set and even some record monthly lows for March as well. It really does compound a terrible winter and an awful 3-4 month period.

Cornwall and Isles of Scilly are worlds apart and currently 10-12C / 50-55F over there with no snow obviously. Falmouth is about 10C / 20F warmer than my location currently. It shows just how crap my location is.

650B7F4D-7846-4F66-8CAB-CBC50051484E.thumb.jpeg.c3ddb63852fa3b3d6534d39c6c8caf24.jpeg

0B606BCE-0E91-4E27-991A-F54F76F6A344.thumb.jpeg.c32ccf7869ec5228277541fb5cdc4c83.jpeg

3D82B530-8305-47BE-8FAB-0E2D54DE4759.thumb.jpeg.935447945e81b0d34b0b9da184e94bbc.jpeg

Edited by UK_Palms
  • Like 2

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

5°C at 5:30 p.m.. This morning there was actually some snow dusting on the roofs and the cars! Last night's low was 1°C and today it's raining non stop but only that drizzle kind of rain. At least some water for thirsty mother nature. It's already warming up again. We're expecting temperatures up to 16°C towards the weekend/beginning of the next week. Hope we'll actually get it. March has been unseasonably cold so far...

• Like 1

Yes it's me Hortulanus 😂

A much milder day here today I had some wet sleety snow yesterday but it didn’t settle it’s been a very dull chilly  March so far and currently no signs of proper spring arriving anytime soon certainly very different to last year 

CE0A8133-0F51-4652-8ADA-D92B744EBB0D.png

• Like 3

52f/11c in London today. It has been very cloudy and drizzling. The weather looks like it will improve on the 12th.

There was a 27C / 55F difference in temperature between northern Scotland and southwest Cornwall yesterday morning. A huge contrast. Again the coldest night of 2023 and coldest March night since 2010.

2F298856-3C17-45CB-B693-4DE8E9C820B7.thumb.jpeg.b3bbfae206108a71eb3e9ef20df344e3.jpeg

For me here, it has been the coldest start to a March in decades. The past 3-4 months have been terrible. While I have escaped a frost in recent nights, I will get pummelled under the clear skies tonight with maybe a low of -4C / 25F. So much for spring. Many places tonight will see their coldest March temperatures in 50+ years.

Record breaking March snowfall for many places too. Sheffield especially badly hit in north central England. 40-50cm of snow in places. The most in general since 2010, never mind the fact it has occurred in what is almost mid-March now.

On a side note, La Niña is well and truly buried now as we enter the neutral ENSO phase. Just how long it will stay neutral is an unknown, but models suggest El Niño conditions by about June-July.

EB57D299-191B-4C76-86B8-D150D4A4BE2C.thumb.png.cff1af76a5d83b0a090d653cc8e256eb.png

C7EA7E37-2825-488F-85A1-0D8F7A07E300.png.f054621e1c2b73d08565d2bf7dad3b3a.png

Edited by UK_Palms
  • Like 2

... rainy... Rainy... RAINY! It's been raining for at least 48 hours without a pause now. No heavy rain but just constant, all day, all night. Today's high was 13°C and quiet stormy. Tomorrow it's finally supposed to be sunny again. Heading towards 17°C on Monday.

• Like 1

Yes it's me Hortulanus 😂