IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What is your current yard temperature?

GottmitAlex

Jan 25, 2023

5:04PM

21C (high of 24c and low of 8c today) watered all palms.

IMG_20230125_170351_1_copy_2073x3685.jpg

• Like 3

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

16747206938735776435405061617817.jpg

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

4°C at 2:30 a.m.. It's getting milder but it's quite misty out. Currently I'm monitoring how temperatures differ all around my garden and also at different heights. Usually it's at least 1 to 5°C warmer in my garden than at the official weather station, which is located at the airport. Outside of the UHI and in a cold spot in the North of the city. While I live in the densely populated outskirts of the South of my city. The average difference of temperature is around 2-3°C. Other than my own standard thermometer in the garden I observe a private weather station which is the closest reliable (not to close to any building) one next to my place. Even there it seems to be at least somewhat colder than in my garden. Last night we had some light frost with a low of almost -2°C at the official weather station and -1.3°C at the private one. Today I went to check out the lows I measured for last night and I couldn't believe how much warmer it's been in my garden compared to everything else. I measured -0.2°C on THE GROUND in the middle of my garden. And a low of 4.2°C! just a little bit higher up on small hill I made under the canopy of a Eucalyptus (it was misty and cloudy so no radiation anyway) also in the middle of the garden. I got outside to check if everything is alright and nothing was wrong, everything was working fine while I also noticed that every thermometer I have running right now was at that moment above 5°C while at the weather station the temperature was at 1°C and at the private one nearby slightly above 2°C. I've measured huge differences before and I know from former cold blasts that it never gets as cold here as it does at the airport but at least from what I've measured I don't think I've ever had a difference above 6°C. I might get a better weather station and many sensors to monitor every corner long term. Really makes me think what a microclimate can do!
Capture.thumb.PNG.1c371955026da595e67d0ed05c35e78c.PNG

• Like 2

Yes it's me Hortulanus 😂

48 minutes ago, Hortulanus said:

4°C at 2:30 a.m.. It's getting milder but it's quite misty out. Currently I'm monitoring how temperatures differ all around my garden and also at different heights. Usually it's at least 1 to 5°C warmer in my garden than at the official weather station, which is located at the airport. Outside of the UHI and in a cold spot in the North of the city. While I live in the densely populated outskirts of the South of my city. The average difference of temperature is around 2-3°C. Other than my own standard thermometer in the garden I observe a private weather station which is the closest reliable (not to close to any building) one next to my place. Even there it seems to be at least somewhat colder than in my garden. Last night we had some light frost with a low of almost -2°C at the official weather station and -1.3°C at the private one. Today I went to check out the lows I measured for last night and I couldn't believe how much warmer it's been in my garden compared to everything else. I measured -0.2°C on THE GROUND in the middle of my garden. And a low of 4.2°C! just a little bit higher up on small hill I made under the canopy of a Eucalyptus (it was misty and cloudy so no radiation anyway) also in the middle of the garden. I got outside to check if everything is alright and nothing was wrong, everything was working fine while I also noticed that every thermometer I have running right now was at that moment above 5°C while at the weather station the temperature was at 1°C and at the private one nearby slightly above 2°C. I've measured huge differences before and I know from former cold blasts that it never gets as cold here as it does at the airport but at least from what I've measured I don't think I've ever had a difference above 6°C. I might get a better weather station and many sensors to monitor every corner long term. Really makes me think what a microclimate can do!
Capture.thumb.PNG.1c371955026da595e67d0ed05c35e78c.PNG

Similar here the airports are the coldest and the near by wunderground stations are significantly warmer and where I am is in a better microclimate than the nearby wunderground stations so it's even warmer here.  In my garden there's multiple good sized patios, a good sized pond and tree canopy in parts of it so it tend to be as mild as parts of London such as Chelsea near the Thames. My weather station isn't near the house pond or patios though and in the coldest part of the garden so whilst I record 28f in December other parts of the garden were at least 1-2f warmer. I'm also not that far from the Thames though either. It's currently 5c here at 3.21am. The stratospheric warming isn't supposed to cause cold temperatures here luckily in February. It should be  around average with north westerly winds. It also looks fairly dry too. Will be interesting to see how dry this spring is and how dry the summer ends up being. We are predicted to have the same climate as Barcelona in the future and be csa. I can see why Barcelona was chosen at least for the summer comparison because like London Barcelona is drier in the summer than the rest of the year but can still receive some rainfall just a lot less than other months. The wettest period is also Sep-Nov in Barcelona like here. I recommend the Davis weather stations because that way without a doubt no one can argue that it's inaccurate and you're weather station is just less accurate than the "official" ones. They are also really good quality. If you don't want to spend that much money though the ambient weather stations are supposed to be pretty good.

Edited by Foxpalms
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Foxpalms said:

Similar here the airports are the coldest and the near by wunderground stations are significantly warmer and where I am is in a better microclimate than the nearby wunderground stations so it's even warmer here.  In my garden there's multiple good sized patios, a good sized pond and tree canopy in parts of it so it tend to be as mild as parts of London such as Chelsea near the Thames. My weather station isn't near the house pond or patios though and in the coldest part of the garden so whilst I record 28f in December other parts of the garden were at least 1-2f warmer. I'm also not that far from the Thames though either. It's currently 5c here. The stratospheric warming isn't supposed to cause cold temperatures here luckily in February. It should be  around average with north westerly winds. It also looks fairly dry too. Will be interesting to see how dry this spring is and how dry the summer ends up being. We are predicted to have the same climate as Barce in the future and be csa. I can see why Barcelona was chosen at least for the summer comparison because like London Barcelona is drier in the summer than the rest of the year but can still receive some rainfall just a lot less than other months. The wettest period is also Sep-Nov in Barcelona like here.

It will be crazy to see how climate is changeging already in the upcoming years. And then 10-20 or 30 to 50 years. I would never have guessed how fast it's going to change just 10 to 15 years ago. I believe that heat and extreme events like storms and such will replace cold and rain as an enemy in our exotic gardening. I'm also pretty happy with the forecast especially because it's also supposed to get drier into Februrary. Just some rainy days with the warm up the upcoming days but after that it looks like it's getting milder and drier and apperently even sunnier. I hope that this not going to change suddenly and I'm very happy when we're all the way into February to finally get out of the danger zone. But I'm expecting anything happening nowadays... I think UHI should get more recognised and taken into account when defining zones.

• Like 1

Yes it's me Hortulanus 😂

14 minutes ago, Hortulanus said:

It will be crazy to see how climate is changeging already in the upcoming years. And then 10-20 or 30 to 50 years. I would never have guessed how fast it's going to change just 10 to 15 years ago. I believe that heat and extreme events like storms and such will replace cold and rain as an enemy in our exotic gardening. I'm also pretty happy with the forecast especially because it's also supposed to get drier into Februrary. Just some rainy days with the warm up the upcoming days but after that it looks like it's getting milder and drier and apperently even sunnier. I hope that this not going to change suddenly and I'm very happy when we're all the way into February to finally get out of the danger zone. But I'm expecting anything happening nowadays... I think UHI should get more recognised and taken into account when defining zones.

February is usually in the clear here other than rare cases. By March the suns strengthened so no chance of frost here. Usually around the end of march we have a few days in the high 60s low 70s.  No rain in the forecast here but London's forecast changes about 5 times a day in the winter so it could change. Either way it will be fairly dry here since London is one of the driest cities in the northern half of Europe we also have less rainfall annually than some parts of the Mediterranean, such as Nice, Barcelona, Monaco, Rome, Lisbon, Gibraltar, Istanbul, Split, Naples and Corfu.

Edited by Foxpalms
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Foxpalms said:

February is usually in the clear here other than rare cases. By March the suns strengthened so no chance of frost here. Usually around the end of march we have a few days in the high 60s low 70s. 

Yes same here. But rare cases seem to become less rare LOL. In normal/mild years I start the first gardening already at the end of February. What annoys me is that in stores the "planting season" starts pretty late, when I'm almost done with all new plantings. And I don't mean garden tools or anything but just the full availabilty of plants. So often I try to get many plants already the year before. I try to start planting as early as possible so that everything gets its biggest growth potential.

• Like 1

Yes it's me Hortulanus 😂

Bloody forecasts all had me panicking yesterday afternoon with -4C / 24F being forecast on the ECM, GFS, Met Office and BBC. I spent an hour wrapping as much stuff as possible and bringing bits inside as I was fearing the worst here. Then the forecast had backed off slightly to -3C / 26F by late evening. Then -2C / 28F later that night. Then up to -1C / 30F.

The actual minimum turned out to be +1.1C / 34F with the temperature back up to +2.9C / 37F by 4am. I didn't even reach freezing. It seems the models didn't account for the cloud cover. It has to be one of the worst short-range forecasts I have ever seen, especially since it was across all the models yesterday afternoon / evening. Not that I am complaining. I was really quite relieved. They certainly had me panicking and fearing the worst though. Phew.

It's currently 8.1C / 46F here at 2pm. There appears to be a milder progression now. I am hoping that is winter done now for us, metaphorically speaking. Roll on spring!

1731532165_Screenshot2023-01-28at14_23_48.thumb.png.2bd9054f3c7f5be3e3e1b664e49d9996.png

• Like 1

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

3 hours ago, UK_Palms said:

Bloody forecasts all had me panicking yesterday afternoon with -4C / 24F being forecast on the ECM, GFS, Met Office and BBC. I spent an hour wrapping as much stuff as possible and bringing bits inside as I was fearing the worst here. Then the forecast had backed off slightly to -3C / 26F by late evening. Then -2C / 28F later that night. Then up to -1C / 30F.

The actual minimum turned out to be +1.1C / 34F with the temperature back up to +2.9C / 37F by 4am. I didn't even reach freezing. It seems the models didn't account for the cloud cover. It has to be one of the worst short-range forecasts I have ever seen, especially since it was across all the models yesterday afternoon / evening. Not that I am complaining. I was really quite relieved. They certainly had me panicking and fearing the worst though. Phew.

It's currently 8.1C / 46F here at 2pm. There appears to be a milder progression now. I am hoping that is winter done now for us, metaphorically speaking. Roll on spring!

1731532165_Screenshot2023-01-28at14_23_48.thumb.png.2bd9054f3c7f5be3e3e1b664e49d9996.png

Same here. But I played risky because I already guessed that it's not going to happen. We had a forecast of -2°C for the night. The lowest turned out to be +2°C even at the weather station. I doubted the forecast right away because it was all cloudy and on the radar it didn't make much sense that it would cool down randomly.

• Like 1

Yes it's me Hortulanus 😂

5 hours ago, UK_Palms said:

The low in central London was 40f/4.4c last night that's one of the reasons it's nice to be here since other than serve rare events, cold spells like that even though it didn't turn out to happen for you are never a concern. Hopefully there are some 70f+ days in March.

• Like 1

Low today 7c.  24c currently.

• Like 4

6c with 82% humidity at 1am in London. The temperature isn't supposed to get any colder later on tonight. February looks to be around or slightly above average and fairly dry here in the south east. Wonder if this is already the start of things drying up or we will have a wetter period in the spring before the drought starts in the summer. At least for here theres no chance of frost however with clear skies some far inland parts of southern England might get a light frost.

Screenshot_20230129-011057780 (1).jpg

Edited by Foxpalms
  • Like 1

Max of 48.6/9.2c with 82% humidity in London. It's been pretty humid all because we had cloud all day so no sunshine either. Next week it's supposed to be warmer with and less humidity down into the 50s% humidity some days.

• Like 1

53F 11C Here right now at 5:47PM. Looks like we are getting cold next week AGAIN!

weather.PNG

• Like 1

An Autistic 18 year old who has an obsession with Palms!

7°C at 8 p.m.. Today's high was about 8°C. It hasn't been as rainy as predicted today. Looking at the forecast we'll get rainy days all week up until Friday from then on the prognosis seems to suggest that it's going to get drier and warmer and that even increasingly so.

• Like 2

Yes it's me Hortulanus 😂

Currently 42F/6C at 1pm. Disgusting weather today/this week...nearly constant temperatures in the 40s day and night until the sun appears again by the weekend. Oh well, at least it isn't anywhere near freezing. 

Huge contrast in Texas today, with more than half of the state below freezing with widespread winter storm warnings/watches in the middle of the afternoon. Meanwhile it's in the 80s (27-28C) down in McAllen and Brownsville. 

texastempnow.JPG.96c43e2469c5843607ed7225fe354dcf.JPG

• Like 4

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

The high today was 54f/12.2c with 58% humidity in London today. It was sunny and the max UV was 1.1. The forecast is showing temperature is in the 50s for the rest of the week.

Screenshot_20230130-211131161 (1).jpg

• Like 2

Jan/30/2023

4:40 PM PST 

Currently 12C and raining!

Our high today was 17c

Our low was 10c

• Like 5

1675214654941404332663921358113.jpg

• Like 2

43f/6.1c in London under clear skies at 1.30am with 70% humidity. It's supposed to turn cloudy in an hour, so by sunrise it should be around 8c/46.5f. @UK_PalmsIt looks like it will turn colder for mid February but the question is how cold, there's a massive difference in the forecasts at the moment. You might have to protect you're palms again. This has to be the biggest fail of the year from the BBC forecast there's no way the weather is going to be that different between Chelsea and London city airport. Also they accidentally put the UV as a M (moderate) for London city airports forecast when the UV doesn't turn to a 3 untill March at this latitude. You can definitely tell it's a mistake since Hugh town at 49N further south than London is still showing a low index when the sun is stronger there on a sunny day! I don't mind if there's a colder period for a few days if it's short and frost free here.

Screenshot_20230201-012505114 (1).jpg

Screenshot_20230201-012436665 (1).jpg

Screenshot_20230201-014137658 (1).jpg

Edited by Foxpalms
  • Like 1

A comfortably cool 54F at 7:50pm after a surprisingly nicer day than forecast. Storm that was supposed to bring showers through the day stayed further south than forecast, leaving most of the area dry,  clear - and warmer- than expected.  Instead of the forecast 56-59, and cloudy,  we reached the lower 60s.. Not a bad end to a pretty cool month, and a decent start o what looks to be a very nice opening to February.. While a few spots on the far west end of PHX saw some, totally dry here.  Far cry from the .15-.30" suggested earlier. 

Temps. continue rebounding through the 60s for remainder of the week,  and,  for now at least,  it is looking like we'll see some of the warmest readings so far this year, and quite possibly,  since  -at least- early Dec  by the weekend.. 

While not on any of the "official"  forecasts right now, if the suggested highs on all those forecasts do reach the mid/ upper 70s both Sat. and Sunday,  not out of the question warmer neighborhod stations will see their first 80F readings of the year. 

For now, most forecasts pull temperatures back to the mid / upper 60s to start off next week.  We'll see if we get any more showers from what storms may pass through, or close by. I'm not sold on those chances...  Some model runs keep rain chances north and west of here, while others bring some through. No suggested storms that may pass through over the next 7-11 days look all that wet or cold though. 

Looking further out,  while subject to change of course,  most forecasts for the month ahead look milder ..and drier  than January.  Some cooler nights suggested for next week, but ..for now at least.. no lows below about 36F.  No early stretches of 80F heat suggested either, for now at least.  Possible that changes later on, toward the end of the month though..

While " Astronomical" "winter" might have another month and 20 days, to go,  Meteorological winter will come to an end in 28 days.  Really, here in the low desert, AZ anyway, after about the 15th, you can toss whatever might be left of winter in the trash..  While we can see chilly mornings up until about the 2nd week in march, threat of a serious frost / freeze that late is rare. 

For now, we'll see if the weather next week / weekend cooperates and brings everyone in town for the Super bowl / golf geek thingie some decent, spring-like weather. 

• Like 5

@Foxpalms The GFS is pushing the idea of a 'Beast from the East' or a 'Siberian express' later next week. That model has been fairly consistent with this over the past 2 days now, although other models like ECMWF and UK MET are less interested, keeping it fairly mild. It will likely end up somewhere in-between, but to see this being modelled by GFS after the dreadful winter we have had so far, is certainly a cause for concern. Will it happen? Probably not. These are airmass temps at 850hPa. Europe would be obliterated.

thumbnail_image0gg77.jpg.3ef45d0a989f8cdf93f9dd3679d82d45.jpg

thumbnail_image1hhggg.jpg.d4747564f8e66b81965bd23dc1aeeb5c.jpg

If this comes off, parts of Switzerland, southern Germany and western France could see temperature departures that are -16C from average and -8C for us here in southeast England.

Fn3w_OpXEAAT3nL.thumb.jpg.8d9cd3dc371f7d6f917a9f43cbeacb55.jpg

Hopefully the GFS is wrong and we get a 'hottie from Lanzarote' instead! :lol2: That would probably send the Siberian express south into Turkey, Greece, Balkans etc. Some of these runs would have about -8C in Rome, Italy and -12C in Istanbul, Turkey. Place your bets now. Will it punch through to western Europe, or be channelled south towards the eastern Med?

image3hhgg.thumb.jpg.b6a8c641839d9dbe7d31048fd1bda1bb.jpg

image2hhggg.thumb.jpg.9830281aadf1ff472932f339e8178aaa.jpg

Currently 10.3C / 50F here at midday.

• Like 3

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

IMG-20230202-WA0104.jpg

• Like 2

Max of 55f/12.7c in London with 69% humidity. The day started off sunny then ended cloudy. The forecast is showing the start of February as very sunny and around average for the time of the year. Currently 51f at 2am.

Edited by Foxpalms
  • Like 2

Currently sitting at the overnight low of 9.7ºC/50ºF.  I really like when winter days/nights are like this.  We've had a pretty mild run of things since the week-long cold spell in min-January, but not above average until yesterday.

• Like 2

Manchester, Lancashire, England

53.4ºN, 2.2ºW, 65m AMSL

Köppen climate Cfb | USDA hardiness zone 9a

Some nicer temperatures later in the week here which wll be welcome but a warm one again today.

Screenshot_20230204_055055_Gallery.jpg

• Like 2

16754619816832309136499606384939.jpg

• Like 3

10C / 50F here at 1am. I am a shade warmer than parts of London due to cloud cover. It has been pretty damn mild since the previous freeze subsided. That has been the story of this winter, two pretty bad freezes with several very mild interludes. Last winter it was just mildish throughout.

My last frost was 10 days ago now. Nowhere in the British Isles has been below freezing over the past few days. The lowest over the past 24 hours was 3.4C / 39F in northern Scotland. Kew Gardens in southwest London the warmest spot with 14C / 57F today. The feel of spring will be in the air very soon.

These are 1am temps…

1ECB9350-ECE9-4336-A8AE-64B44DA5C26B.thumb.jpeg.006733e4bab687627d524dc41d67e7d9.jpeg

I was just about to comment on how mild it has been in NYC this winter and how they should try CIDP inside the main UHI areas on Manhattan, only to just see it is currently below -10C / 14F in central regions at 9pm with a low of -14C / 6F expected tonight. Wow.

The Trachycarpus Fortunei may take a big hit on Long Beach. That is significantly colder than anything I have ever experienced here. I thought the central UHI would hold up better than it has in NYC. It doesn’t seem that pronounced at all there. I wonder what it will go down to tonight? -15C / 5F?

066A884D-CAF8-48D0-B4F9-4026BEE441C8.thumb.jpeg.99139a8c63d970b41bb9bc3c657eb407.jpeg

Palm killer temps in Long Beach. Let’s see how those Fortunei hold up. There’s another 10 hours of radiational cooling to go as well with clear skies. Crikey.

1C9CEBE2-9605-4AAC-B6EB-5B25C7FDACFB.thumb.jpeg.6d27a3ef401428dcad095785e3e0c936.jpeg

Edited by UK_Palms
  • Like 2

The max in London was 58f/14.4c with 63% humidity. The weather station in the warmer part of the garden got up to 60f not bad for the start of February. It's currently 50f/10c at 4am. The weather next week looks colder but very sunny so that usually means higher temperature than the forecast.

Edited by Foxpalms
  • Like 1

Holy crap the New York temperatures this morning are bad. -17C / 1F in Manhattan and -15C / 5F in Long Beach even. I wonder how those Trachycarpus will fair there with snow too? The UHI almost looks non-existent in NYC, especially Manhattan. The most protected spots have still gone down to at least -14C / 7F overnight. That is barely any protection.

2060123426_thumbnail_image0-2023-02-04T135852_262.thumb.jpg.1511920b48e666203ba41effa9bf4fb7.jpg

Temps near Central Park ☠️

1204866949_thumbnail_image3(15).thumb.jpg.37a5873c6e559e0dacd8b7406cc4ab22.jpg

Long Beach not spared

714131402_thumbnail_image1-2023-02-04T135903_833.thumb.jpg.3372990ae0ba95019c6d01358fbbb841.jpg

Southern New England is a LOT colder than 'old England', jeez. Even down to -21C / -6F on Block Island and Martha's Vineyard.

1807689241_thumbnail_image1-2023-02-04T135925_483.thumb.jpg.41d3becdc199224b995f90593821695e.jpg

Boston was at about -23C / -10F at sunrise. :o

566729864_thumbnail_image0-2023-02-04T135919_247.thumb.jpg.d0e945226add4f321df984f41d93f25b.jpg

Now that is a polar vortex there! :bemused:

26 minutes ago, UK_Palms said:

Holy crap the New York temperatures this morning are bad. -17C / 1F in Manhattan and -15C / 5F in Long Beach even. I wonder how those Trachycarpus will fair there with snow too? The UHI almost looks non-existent in NYC, especially Manhattan. The most protected spots have still gone down to at least -14C / 7F overnight. That is barely any protection.

2060123426_thumbnail_image0-2023-02-04T135852_262.thumb.jpg.1511920b48e666203ba41effa9bf4fb7.jpg

Temps near Central Park ☠️

1204866949_thumbnail_image3(15).thumb.jpg.37a5873c6e559e0dacd8b7406cc4ab22.jpg

Long Beach not spared

714131402_thumbnail_image1-2023-02-04T135903_833.thumb.jpg.3372990ae0ba95019c6d01358fbbb841.jpg

Southern New England is a LOT colder than 'old England', jeez. Even down to -21C / -6F on Block Island and Martha's Vineyard.

1807689241_thumbnail_image1-2023-02-04T135925_483.thumb.jpg.41d3becdc199224b995f90593821695e.jpg

Boston was at about -23C / -10F at sunrise. :o

566729864_thumbnail_image0-2023-02-04T135919_247.thumb.jpg.d0e945226add4f321df984f41d93f25b.jpg

Now that is a polar vortex there! :bemused:

In New York all the skyscrapers could actually be directing and bringing the cold air higher up in the air down to street level making the urban heat island less pronounced. The air masses are very cold during freezes in New York. Whilst here the opposite is true during freezes, a couple hundred meters above ground level is usually slightly warmer because we usually experience temperature inversion during a freeze.