IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What is your current yard temperature?

GottmitAlex

As hot as it was at the end of May, June has been like having the AC on by comparison.  A ton of rain as well.  The plants are definitely loving it!

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

On 6/16/2019 at 11:40 PM, kinzyjr said:

As hot as it was at the end of May, June has been like having the AC on by comparison.  A ton of rain as well.  The plants are definitely loving it!

Glad we aren't the only ones...

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

The daytime highs haven't been as hot lately with all of the rain and thunderstorms, but it has been muggy.  I think we have had the total June average rainfall this month so far.  Currently in the mid-70s F with a very heavy thunderstorm.

30c today in southern Ontario yay! Hope my bottle palm finally opens it’s new frond 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Reached 92f today but off and on thunderstorms and constant overcast has kept it at a muggy 86 to 89 most of the day.

• Upvote 1

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

Back to hot! with more humidity than during the heat wave in late May.  I'll take the rain over this any day.

Currently 16c at 5.20am, expecting heavy rain with a possible storm and tops around 21cm.

Dropped to 12.7c at 4.30am..... all time June low is 12.1c in 1963.
65008648_367058237282496_474610284393136128_n.png.1d109209d7b992d2d44ebf0f1f318fba.png

Darwin Shivers Through 1 in 15 Year Event!

On Sunday morning it was Katherine, and yesterday morning the cold mornings made it to the outskirts of Darwin. This morning the cold definitely pushed well into the Darwin region as Darwin AP fell to just 12.7C!

Since 1941, there have only been 5 other instances where Darwin AP has fallen this low in June meaning it only happens approximately once every 15 years prior to this morning. While the outskirts of Darwin have been known to be chilly - it's much rarer for Darwin itself to get cold.

Not only that, Middle Point which broke its coldest June morning record yesterday rebroke tit this morning with a low of 4.8C! That's getting close to possible frost territory on the ground (as ground temperatures are lower than the air temperature).

Other notable temperatures included:

Batcheror: 9.8C, coldest June morning in 7 years
Point Fawcett: 10.1C, coldest June morning in 8 years
Point Stewart: 12.8C, coldest June morning in 8 years

This is all thanks to a slow moving high pressure system that's been extending drier, ESE winds across much of the Territory for many days now. Dry air and clear skies provide the perfect recipe for a chilly night - no matter where you are in the country!

Edited by greysrigging
  • Like 1

Currently 98F here in Orlando.  The humidity always goes down a lot when we hit mid-90s + (usually 35-45% instead of 50-70%) but it is just unbearable to be outside in the sun.

27C @4:10pm pst

1561504189091128315580789883546.jpg

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

10:00am and its 58F.  Forecasted high is 65F.

29c @2:40 pm PST 6/27/2019

15616716074852517756360888833825.jpg

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

I think it is going to be one of “those” summers (abnormally hot and dry).  Hopefully this pattern of high pressure subsidence will switch to a normal pattern soon.  The watering is becoming a bit tiresome, but the water never runs out, so I will keep at it as much as I need to.

• Like 1

30c 3:19pm pst

Everyday the temperature rises one tick above the previous.

31C (88F) at 10.30am here. It's going to be an absolute scorcher here under the clear, sunny skies. I'm expecting 100F by mid afternoon now.

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

89F (32C) here at 12:15 PM. With high humidity the heat index has been flirting with 100F (38C) today.

Plants are LOVING it, except my Cilantro which looks ghastly as usual once summer rolls around. Tried a heat tolerant variety this year and it’s made no difference.

The temperature is hovering around 102F here, having passed the 100F barrier at 4:15pm. It is absolutely baking! Several nearby stations to the northeast of me look to have recorded temperatures of 104-105F this afternoon.

The June record high has definitely gone today. Possibly the UK's all-time record high as well, which stands at 102F (39C), which I know I have definitely equalled this afternoon. But Wisley to the northeast of me should have just set the record for the hottest ever day, seeing 105F (40.5C). I saw 2 separate stations in the area showing 105F, and another showing 104F. Slightly higher than the 102F that I have recorded. 

London has pushed the 100F barrier as well. According to Weather Underground. 

London Temp 29:06:19.jpg

• Upvote 1

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

Wow!  That is super hot from anywhere in the UK.

Here, the skies are darkening up and there is a breeze.  Should get some much needed rain here today.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, UK_Palms said:

The temperature is hovering around 102F here, having passed the 100F barrier at 4:15pm. It is absolutely baking! Several nearby stations to the northeast of me look to have recorded temperatures of 104-105F this afternoon.

The June record high has definitely gone today. Possibly the UK's all-time record high as well, which stands at 102F (39C), which I know I have definitely equalled this afternoon. But Wisley to the northeast of me should have just set the record for the hottest ever day, seeing 105F (40.5C). I saw 2 separate stations in the area showing 105F, and another showing 104F. Slightly higher than the 102F that I have recorded. 

London has pushed the 100F barrier as well. According to Weather Underground. 

London Temp 29:06:19.jpg

That's pretty insane for that neck of the woods, for sure. We get about 10 days per summer > 100°

• Like 1

1:40pm PST, 82F.   Raining!

And listening to Gabriel's oboe from "the Mission" picture.

Edited by GottmitAlex
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, NorCalKing said:

That's pretty insane for that neck of the woods, for sure. We get about 10 days per summer > 100°

What's even more insane is that it has just turned midnight here, at latitude 51N, and the temperature is still 32C (89F).

I am expecting a low tonight of around 26-27C. 

1 hour ago, UK_Palms said:

What's even more insane is that it has just turned midnight here, at latitude 51N, and the temperature is still 32C (89F).

I am expecting a low tonight of around 26-27C. 

In England? 

1 minute ago, cm05 said:

In England? 

Yeah. About 35 miles southeast of London. 

It's 3:30am here and the outdoor temperature is still reading 87F (30.5C). I can't get my bedroom temperature below 27C either, with all windows open and two fans on full blast. It's just impossible to sleep here. British houses aren't designed to deal with heat like this. The walls, floors and attic retain too much heat. Not to mention, we just aren't used to 100F+ days and 80F nights here. This kind of thing is definitely unprecedented.

No doubt the result of climate change, in my opinion. This is part of the exact same weather event that saw record breaking temperatures in France on Friday. The heat wave has effected multiple countries. Next week will be much cooler though...

IMG_0842.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UK_Palms said:

Yeah. About 35 miles southeast of London. 

It's 3:30am here and the outdoor temperature is still reading 87F (30.5C). I can't get my bedroom temperature below 27C either, with all windows open and two fans on full blast. It's just impossible to sleep here. British houses aren't designed to deal with heat like this. The walls, floors and attic retain too much heat. Not to mention, we just aren't used to 100F+ days and 80F nights here. This kind of thing is definitely unprecedented.

No doubt the result of climate change, in my opinion. This is part of the exact same weather event that saw record breaking temperatures in France on Friday. The heat wave has effected multiple countries. Next week will be much cooler though...

IMG_0842.jpg

I hear ya.. even here where there are at least a handfull of nights thru the summer where overnight lows don't drop below 80-83F it can be hard to sleep, even with the air conditioning / fan going. My room faces east and there are no trees in that part of the front yard so it warms fast in the mornings on such days.. Worst nights are when you are forced to shut off the air when there's a dust storm moving through.. that happened twice last year. Even with the fan going, didn't sleep well both nights..  I can only imagine how everyone across Europe has been dealing with this latest heat wave there.. Was shocked to see France reach 114F yesterday. Hot enough here, can't imagine that kind of heat there.. Hopefuly, as you mentioned, there's a cool down on the way soon...

• Like 1

There is an Australian  ( well, Northern Territory, in particular Darwin ) coping method for those brutally hot nights 27c-32c....
Beer ! 6 to 8 per night in the 'Wet' and 4 ( 6 if its above 20c ) during the 'Dry' !
Try it.... works for me..... lol !

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

I hear ya.. even here where there are at least a handfull of nights thru the summer where overnight lows don't drop below 80-83F it can be hard to sleep, even with the air conditioning / fan going. My room faces east and there are no trees in that part of the front yard so it warms fast in the mornings on such days.. Worst nights are when you are forced to shut off the air when there's a dust storm moving through.. that happened twice last year. Even with the fan going, didn't sleep well both nights..  I can only imagine how everyone across Europe has been dealing with this latest heat wave there.. Was shocked to see France reach 114F yesterday. Hot enough here, can't imagine that kind of heat there.. Hopefuly, as you mentioned, there's a cool down on the way soon...

Well France and parts of Spain certainly took the brunt of the heat, but the UK got hit hard yesterday too. Although it is cooling down big time next week, which has already started. It's actually cooler now at 2pm than it was 12 hours ago at 2am. It has dropped right down to 25C (77F) now. We are about 10C cooler than we were at this time yesterday.

We're entering another drought cycle as well, by the looks of things. No rain in the forecast for the next 2-3 weeks. 

I couldn't imagine living in Arizona at this time of year. I guess you must be somewhat used to it, but those summer highs are just brutal!

2pm PST, 92F/33.3C

15619273767624997491802185853846.jpg

19 hours ago, greysrigging said:

There is an Australian  ( well, Northern Territory, in particular Darwin ) coping method for those brutally hot nights 27c-32c....
Beer ! 6 to 8 per night in the 'Wet' and 4 ( 6 if its above 20c ) during the 'Dry' !
Try it.... works for me..... lol !

Yeah I was drinking Saturday night and into Sunday morning. Can't say it helped me much though. I couldn't sleep in the heat and sat outside on the patio at 4am, in my boxers, with a joint. The temperature was still 28C then, but a cold front ploughed through a few hours later and the temperature didn't rise above 27/28C on Sunday. It should be back to highs of 23C by Monday. Typical of an English summer.

We’ve had 1.2” of rain yesterday and today, but areas just south got a lot more.  Temperatures the past few days have been closer to normal, and it appears that the next week should be a fairly normal summer pattern, though 96F tomorrow is a bit much.

Its been mid 90s and muggy the past 2+ weeks and I love it! Summer came early in May and went back to spring for a little in early June. But summer is full swing couldn't be happier. grass is on a 2 to 3 day schedule and even been hot enough to revive 3 sick and thought to be completely dead palms.

Edited by mdsonofthesouth
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

66F going up to a whopping 73F. :rolleyes:  I'm not sure where summer is?? Next week looks more promising but nothing over 90.

7 hours ago, Chester B said:

66F going up to a whopping 73F. :rolleyes:  I'm not sure where summer is?? Next week looks more promising but nothing over 90.

You're waiting for some summer heat, i'm waiting for some rain, and a break from our 105-110F heat/ super dry air.. Meanwhile, supposed to reach 87-90F up in Anchorage between now and next Monday/ Tuesday. Gotta love persistent blocking patterns lol.. Might see "something" monsoon- wise in roughly 7 days as the 4 corners Ridge tries to push out that stubborn trough over the Pac. N.W.  ( ..it's really gotta go, and not return, lol.. ) ...and hearing of an overall shift in the current configuration of the blocking pattern over the Arctic sometime after next week as well..  We'll see.. 

Cicadas are finally out.. Have been hearing some since Father's day but have only really started emerging since Monday.. If the local, 'old wive's tale is correct, Monsoon rains should follow in about 10-12 days.. Let's hope so.. Getting awfully close to the latest onset date for our sumer rainy season.  

Of more interest, hearing the pattern we've seen thus far this year ( -NAO / -AO ) may continue, to some degree, as we head towards the start of Autumn.. Might make for some interesting weather later.   Closest year with a similar WX pattern as this year, is 2009, or is what I've  been hearing alot lately. 

For now, after the weekend, days start getting shorter.. 100+F days are numbered.. thankfully.  80-90F days / 57-70F nights are perfect. 

• Upvote 1

On 6/30/2019 at 6:36 AM, UK_Palms said:

Well France and parts of Spain certainly took the brunt of the heat, but the UK got hit hard yesterday too. Although it is cooling down big time next week, which has already started. It's actually cooler now at 2pm than it was 12 hours ago at 2am. It has dropped right down to 25C (77F) now. We are about 10C cooler than we were at this time yesterday.

We're entering another drought cycle as well, by the looks of things. No rain in the forecast for the next 2-3 weeks. 

I couldn't imagine living in Arizona at this time of year. I guess you must be somewhat used to it, but those summer highs are just brutal!

Heat is one thing, lol.. brutal about sums up Arizona level heat, lol..  Back in San Jose ( CA ) where I grew up,  you anticipate a few days above 30c during the summer, and occasional days around 40c weren't uncommon. Difference is the nights.. back there, even during  some of the biggest heat waves I remember, it cools back to 14-21c.. Unless it rains, many nights here stay in the 26-29c range this time of year. Isn't until mid/ later in September that nights start consistantly cooling back to around / below 21c. 

Back in CA, you looked forward to the few nights it stayed warm, especially if you were enjoying a midnight bonfire at the beach.. usually pretty cold there once the fog rolls in, even in July.  Here, a bonfire is likely the last thing you'd want to enjoy, lol unless camping somewhere up in the mountains.. Great time of year to hang out up there.. Even living in both Kansas and Florida where night time temps stay warm during the summer, a night out was enjoyable most of the time.  But its a dry heat right ? Just sucks the life outta you, imo .esp. if you work outdoors. I never understand all the people who go hiking on local trails when it's over 104F then end up being rescued due to suffering heat exhaustion. 

That said, once our monsoon season kicks in, heat becomes less intense, you see more nights that cool off better and it just feels better to be out.. As the locals say, you bare with the summers here in order to enjoy the rest of the year, which is really nice most of the time..

Was pretty warm today. Still pretty muggy for 71f...

Screenshot_20190706-233531.thumb.png.0f61690ca1b1202d718582528916ce5e.png

Were at our typical Summer weather right now and have been for about a month or two now. Days in the 90s nights in the 70s. 

• Upvote 1

PalmTreeDude

90F right now and partly cloudy, heavy storms once again in the forecast today.  We had around 2.33” of rain this weekend, even though all the heaviest storms just missed my exact location (somehow).

This pattern of low 90s, humid and sunny until late afternoons with nearly daily rains seems to be the ideal pattern for tropical palm and other plant growth.   Stuff in general seems to grow faster with this weather versus 95-99F and sunny with lower humidity, even with ample irrigation.  This makes sense, since most of my plants are from tropical rainforests.  Even Cocos, according to an article I just read, prefer climates with 60”< of annual rainfall.

Would be nice if this were the rule for the rest of the summer.

10 hours ago, palmsOrl said:

90F right now and partly cloudy, heavy storms once again in the forecast today.  We had around 2.33” of rain this weekend, even though all the heaviest storms just missed my exact location (somehow).

This pattern of low 90s, humid and sunny until late afternoons with nearly daily rains seems to be the ideal pattern for tropical palm and other plant growth.   Stuff in general seems to grow faster with this weather versus 95-99F and sunny with lower humidity, even with ample irrigation.  This makes sense, since most of my plants are from tropical rainforests.  Even Cocos, according to an article I just read, prefer climates with 60”< of annual rainfall.

Would be nice if this were the rule for the rest of the summer.

After another hint of monsoon moisture sat / sun,  stubborn trough northwest of us dropped temps back down to the 103-105f range today.  Short lived reprieve ends tomorrow as the 4 corners high starts asserting itself thru the rest of the week.. 106 tomorrow, 110-113f from Wednesday onward.. Moisture starts creeping in from the south / south east by the weekend with at least more clouds/  a chance for showers and much higher dew points / humidity..  Both bottomed out at a season low of 12 deg ( dew pt.) And 3% ( humidity) this afternoon..

There after, we'll see if storm chances ramp up and can sustain themselves next week.. Model forecasts have been inconsistent past 5 days so, crossing fingers this isn't another tease.. Need the rain. Lots of small fires across Phoenix / rest of the state lately. Only a few larger events thus far, could have been much worse this year. Hopefully some rain up in the mountains will end our fire season soon.. Blocking pattern looks like it backs off which could set the stage for a large dome of high pressure over the West / Central Plains.. Tonight's 00z run of the GFS ( tropical tidbits) is suggesting dm heights exceeding 600dm sometime around the 23rd-25th..  As far as I'm aware, and have tracked over the years, 600dm is about as high as they can go.  Still a ways out, so a lot can change..and likely will. But I always take notice when rouge model runs suggest impressive looking heat / cold events, even if the magnitude of such fades in later runs..  

Regardless, looks like some real height of summer sizzle on the way for many..  Tonight was the last time the sun will set at 7: 40pm this year.. Downhill from here..  

• Upvote 1