IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

How My Latitude Compares To Some Places Around The World

PalmTreeDude

So I found this pretty neat website where you can click on an exact point on the map and it draws a line in the Northern and Southern hemispheres of where that latitude is. This is pretty crazy because a lot of the places that share my latitude (and many others here) are capable of growing palms that can't grow here (and that are many zones less cold hardy than here) due to those few cold snaps we can get. Here is the site, what areas around the world share your latitude?

http://mapfrappe.com/appisoll.html

SmartSelect_20181118-202131_Chrome.jpg

SmartSelect_20181118-202142_Chrome.jpg

SmartSelect_20181118-202152_Chrome.jpg

SmartSelect_20181118-202200_Chrome.jpg

SmartSelect_20181118-202207_Chrome.jpg

Edited by PalmTreeDude
  • Upvote 1

PalmTreeDude

Very interesting.

But key: what about altitude? 

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Just about south of all Europe and Close as heck to north Africa and growing palms can be tough. But hey such is life in the eastern US. I basically flip mother nautre the bird and plant what I want anyways so no biggie lol. 

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

Good site. While I can grow palms here, I can’t grow the more tropical looking crownshaft ones that other areas around the world at the same latitude and altitude can. Bummer :( 

2C053A1B-02C6-47C8-B501-08274AAE65ED.jpeg

5ED15387-1B4A-450A-A7FC-9C61B8C85E7E.jpeg

DA4E9F8F-F84D-474C-A574-93A882BD7262.jpeg

At lat 51, here in southern England the winter temps are the mildest in the world for this latitude, by far... with the average winter high of 47F and a low of 38F. My all time record low is 10F. Most other places at my latitude have record lows of -50 to -60F. 

The latitude equivalent in Asia puts me further north than Mongolia and near enough level to the southern tip of Siberia. Winters in this location are brutal, with average winter highs and lows about 50F colder than I get. Record lows are around 70F colder than in my location, around -60F.

In terms of North America, i am level to Saskatoon, central Ontario & central Quebec. Winters are also brutally cold here, but marginally warmer than the Asian equivalent in latitude. The record lows in this part of North America are also about 60F colder than in my location, around -50F. 

In terms of South America, I am close to the southern tip of Chile and Argentina & level with the freezing cold Falkland Islands. They are about 10F colder than us in winter, but warmer than the North America and Asian equivalents in latitude. Although summers in this area are way colder than mine or any other locations due to South Atlantic sea and being near Antarctica.

In terms of the African southern hemisphere and Australasia, I am almost off the map, going into the far south of the Atlantic. If there was landmass in these locations, it would be far, far wetter and far, far colder in summer due to the ocean currents and proximity to Antarctica.  

Screen Shot 1.jpg

Screen Shot 2.jpg

Screen Shot 3.jpg

Edited by UK_Palms

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

Nice tool, boy, i’ve spent far more time drawing lines manually on Google Earth to accomplish the same thing. But it is difficult to do on Google unless there is some trick i’m not aware of. 

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

Looks like I'm even with Myanmar/Burma (I wish). A true tropical climate vs my subtropical one. Being wide open to Arctic cold fronts is a big disadvantage here.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

22 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Being wide open to Arctic cold fronts is a big disadvantage here.

Ditto, and then some since I'm a few hundred miles further north of you. Mobile is roughly on the same latitude as Jacksonville, Shanghai, Basra and Marrakesh in the northern hemisphere and Perth in the southern.

Not only altitude, but mountain ranges, wind and ocean currents, mountain ranges and the moderating effect of large bodies of water (and, of course, precipitation) mean the only thing that's the same is the length of our day - if we're in the same hemisphere.

If only Canada were a giant body of water we'd all be happier with the weather.

• Upvote 2

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

2 hours ago, mdsonofthesouth said:

If only Canada were a giant body of water we'd all be happier with the weather.

We should dig a sea from the Canadian boarder and 300 - 500 miles South and say it is for agricultural purposes. ;)

PalmTreeDude

Just now, PalmTreeDude said:

We should dig a sea from the Canadian boarder and 300 - 500 miles South and say it is for agricultural purposes. ;)

You got my vote!

13 hours ago, mdsonofthesouth said:

You got my vote!

Not sure the Canadians would like this idea :D

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

55 minutes ago, Palmaceae said:

Not sure the Canadians would like this idea :D

LoL Im sure that enough $$ could ensure this works out. 

54 minutes ago, mdsonofthesouth said:

LoL Im sure that enough $$ could ensure this works out. 

Either that, or a great big wall, Game-of-Thrones style.

Do they get cold fronts in California and Arizona? I ask because often on weather maps, I see the blue cold front symbol sweep across the Eastern US, as far west as El Paso/New Mexico/Northern Mexico, before suddenly "cutting off."

5 minutes ago, AnTonY said:

The only other country that lines up to my zone 8 is in France. All the others are to cold. 

1 hour ago, AnTonY said:

Do they get cold fronts in California and Arizona? I ask because often on weather maps, I see the blue cold front symbol sweep across the Eastern US, as far west as El Paso/New Mexico/Northern Mexico, before suddenly "cutting off."

Don't the Rockies, and Sierra Nevada to a lesser extent, act as massive barriers to the cold that seems to engulf the east coast and the midwest?

Combined with California's proximity to the ocean as well. Also BC and western Canada seem to be much more mild in winter than Nova Scotia and eastern Canada, whether that is due to ocean currents, trade winds, cold fronts being blocked etc. It seems the entire west coast is warmer than the east coast. Southern California probably has the best microclimate in the world IMO (besides the fact that they can be prone to fires). There seems to be lots of variables at play which keeps it so warm and protected from the cold.

Northern California is a different thing entirely. I don't know the meteorology behind it, but I was in San Francisco for a friends wedding a few years back and they had 3 consecutive days where the high did not get above 65F, in July! With thick fog and a cold breeze. It was so cold you couldn't take off a sweater, and this was in mid-summer. Meanwhile it was 90F back in my hometown in England. Crazy. I seriously couldn't live with that. Being cold in winter is one thing, but being cold and foggy in summer is just soul destroying. Wasn't it Mark Twain who said 'the coldest winter I ever spent, was a summer in San Francisco'. 

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

1 hour ago, AnTonY said:

Guiness book of world records wall of 10000ft+ high. Pretty sure that'll do the trick!

39 minutes ago, UK_Palms said:

Northern California is a different thing entirely. I don't know the meteorology behind it, but I was in San Francisco for a friends wedding a few years back and they had 3 consecutive days where the high did not get above 65F, in July! With thick fog and a cold breeze. It was so cold you couldn't take off a sweater, and this was in mid-summer.

That's why the lady is a tramp.

13 minutes ago, UK_Palms said:

Don't the Rockies, and Sierra Nevada to a lesser extent, act as massive barriers to the cold that seems to engulf the east coast and the midwest?

Combined with California's proximity to the ocean as well. Also BC and western Canada seem to be much more mild in winter than Nova Scotia and eastern Canada, whether that is due to ocean currents, trade winds, cold fronts being blocked etc. It seems the entire west coast is warmer than the east coast. Southern California probably has the best microclimate in the world IMO (besides the fact that they can be prone to fires). There seems to be lots of variables at play which keeps it so warm and protected from the cold.

Northern California is a different thing entirely. I don't know the meteorology behind it, but I was in San Francisco for a friends wedding a few years back and they had 3 consecutive days where the high did not get above 65F, in July! With thick fog and a cold breeze. It was so cold you couldn't take off a sweater, and this was in mid-summer. Meanwhile it was 90F back in my hometown in England. Crazy. I seriously couldn't live with that. Being cold in winter is one thing, but being cold and foggy in summer is just soul destroying. Wasn't it Mark Twain who said 'the coldest winter I ever spent, was a summer in San Francisco'. 

The U.S. west's climate is dictated by several factors including those related to the Pacific, mountain ranges, etc. Normally, when the jet stream comes due west-east from CA. it will direct mild pacific air up and over the mountains to the east. Cold arctic air has to plunge south -west of the Rockies / Sierra Nevada for it to cause extreme frost /freeze episodes along the west coast. Further inland ( higher elevation- interior west / Mountain states region ) Cold air can ooze it's way south through mountain passes / valleys. Combined w/ relatively drier continental air, these areas see perfect radiational cooling during the shorter winter nights.. Further south, say here in the low desert, latitude and lower altitude keep us warmer (normally) through the winter months. The same pattern setup that can bring freak cold to CA. can also bring us similar frost / freeze events.  We can also see freak cold temp. events if a strong, back door cold front slips west of New Mexico. Mountains between Phoenix and west Texas are generally lower, or are less connected to the rest of the Rockies, hense the "Sky Island" term used to describe them here.. If there's enough cold air built up over the high plains, and the right set up.. it can slip west into the deserts here. 

If the mean flow off the Pacific doesn't move it south / stays mostly zonal, most of the really cold air from up in Canada /the Arctic regions is directed east of the Rockies, and then south across the Plains / toward the Eastern U.S. Just the way it goes, unless a strong enough zonal flow across the Plains states keeps the cold air moving towards N.E. Canada, or, better yet, locked up across the Arctic.

As for San Francisco, it's cold / foggy summers are directly related to it's position to the cold, California Current that runs down the length of the state. This plus the general wind direction off the ocean that time of year ( Generally out of the N.W.) Further south..esp. south of Point Conception, a branch of the Southern CA. Counter-Current draws relatively milder water north from Baja and up across Southern CA, somewhat offsetting the temperature effects of the southward moving CA. current. Winds down there can move milder / humid, or hot / dry air in from the south / east, esp. if or when a strong Monsoon setup gets going over the S.W. US. and N. Mexico.

Santa Ana, and similar-type wind events across the CA. are related to topography and how air compresses / warms as it moves down in elevation.. generally from the East / Northeast during such pattern setups.

• Upvote 1

I used the program and then checked out the climate via google at noticeable points along the way. My place lines up with Adelaide in Australia, extreme north island NZ, Santiago, Montevideo in Uruguay, and in the north with Santa Maria just north of LA, Northern Africa, and China around Shanghai and apart from extreme North Island NZ my area has probably the mildest climate of all of those locations, with cool winters and cooler summers than almost all points along the way with not much change over the year. I think I'm in with a chance to grow some really nice cloud forest stuff and my Andean palms tend to do well here.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

I ran the line out and listed the approximate closest places below. Some areas there was nothing significant nearby so I roughly calculated distance and direction to next nearest significant places. Only compared climate with 3 of the locations.

Northern Hemisphere

Managua, Nicaragua
Fractionally lower maximum temperatures than ours, fractionally higher minimums, but average annual temp about 1 degree lower than ours. Only about 3 quarters of our rainfall with much the same spread throughout the year as ours, ie distinct wet and dry seasons. They have more rainy days and less hours of sunshine than us.

Masbate City, Masbate Island, Philippines

Nha Trang, Vietnam

~60kms nth of Phnom Penh, Cambodia

~130kms sth of Bangkok, Thailand

~80kms sth of Chennai, India

~95kms nth of Djibouti, Djibouti

N'Djamena, Chad

Kano, Nigeria

Bamako, Mali

~80kms nth of Bissau, Guinea-Bissau

~225kms nth of Caracas, Venezuela

Southern Hemisphere (More ocean than land equivalents)

~40kms sth of Lima, Peru

Salvador, Brazil:
Very different climate, they have wet and rainy most of year. Wet season rainfall is similar but then theirs continues through the "dry season" at lower monthly totals whereas ours dries right out. Lower average annual temperatures, much lower maximums but higher minimums during their "drier season". Much less sunshine than us.

Lobito, Angola

Northern border of Mozambique

Antisiranana, Madagascar:
Only data found shows their average annual temp is only a degree or so lower. Rainfall less than 2 thirds of ours, wet season at same time of year, dry season is a little wetter than ours. Slightly less sunshine hours.

~30kms nth of Weipa, Qld, Australia

tropicbreeze, With your climate so similar to Madagascar, it sounds as though you have the ideal climate for some of the world's most desirable palms.

12 hours ago, Manalto said:

tropicbreeze, With your climate so similar to Madagascar, it sounds as though you have the ideal climate for some of the world's most desirable palms.

I wish! Unfortunately I've lost so many different palms over the years I've become a bit shy of planting more. Antisiranana is about 20 kms from the northernmost tip of Madagascar, there's a lot of the island further south of that with different climates, although generally the north west is very similar. Being an island their humidity would be higher than ours during the dry season. But I do try to keep a lookout for plants that come from the north west. Ironically, the previous owner of my place planted a lot of Dypsis madagascariensis and those are going really great.

• Upvote 1

Thank you for the great site! It is truly amazing what can be grown in many areas so far from the equator. Europe and UK is truly mind bending. Royals at 38 plus, Coconuts at 34 plus, and so on and so on. Thank you!

What you look for is what is looking

16 hours ago, bubba said:

Thank you for the great site! It is truly amazing what can be grown in many areas so far from the equator. Europe and UK is truly mind bending. Royals at 38 plus, Coconuts at 34 plus, and so on and so on. Thank you!

These pics are from 50N in southern England, at the same latitude as Winnipeg, Canada and southern Siberia in Russia/Asia. No doubt the Gulf Stream allows them to grow at such a latitude. 

There are large CIDP's in London as well, which is at 51N. Large Washingtonia as well. 

Tresco CIPD 1.jpg

Tresco CIPD 2.jpg

• Upvote 1

Perks of being surrounded by water and in the direct path of the gulf stream. 

• Upvote 1

UK,

Just strolled through your magical display in Palms! Mind boggling beauty at incomprehensible latitude. Speechless.

• Upvote 1

What you look for is what is looking

8 minutes ago, PalmsNC said:

Those are nice pictures UK... but were they not debunked as bogus on other threads on here? Those pics are not from the UK...

While I cannot confirm or deny the pictures validity, there is a picture on the Tresco abbey garden that resembles the ones posted by UK. 

https://www.tresco.co.uk/enjoying/abbey-garden

In which case I stand corrected. your link resembles his pictures, I didn't realize it was the scilly isles which are more believable than mainland England.

Greenville is near same latitude as Pasos Robles, Tetouan, Tokyo, Buenos Aires and Sydney. I wonder what palms are native to those cities? :D30AD1681-A715-4144-94A8-F0673E18EF29.thu0D613A99-B1AF-47F9-92E0-54341281F144.thuEFB0D6FC-AF73-45C9-AB45-19AF4073678B.thu18DA4048-9D71-4CE2-BECD-F2061FD900E2.thu

C293B42D-4335-4948-AA08-B3390A888211.png

Zone 8a/8b Greenville, NC 

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

13 hours ago, NC_Palms said:

Greenville is near same latitude as Pasos Robles, Tetouan, Tokyo, Buenos Aires and Sydney. I wonder what palms are native to those cities? :D

Your alignment south of Sydney Au is about the southern natural limit of Archontophoenix cunninghamiana. And Livistona australis extends a few hundred kms further south of that. Both these are in a coastal habitat.

7 hours ago, tropicbreeze said:

Your alignment south of Sydney Au is about the southern natural limit of Archontophoenix cunninghamiana. And Livistona australis extends a few hundred kms further south of that. Both these are in a coastal habitat.

Interesting... I wish my location was warm enough to grow either of those palms. North America seems to be the coldest location at 35º. 

Zone 8a/8b Greenville, NC 

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

10 hours ago, NC_Palms said:

Interesting... I wish my location was warm enough to grow either of those palms. North America seems to be the coldest location at 35º. 

Funny how pur summers are nearly tropical yet winters are so cold and brutal sometimes. Weirdest humid subtropic region in the world for sure!

10 hours ago, NC_Palms said:

Just now, mdsonofthesouth said:

Funny how pur summers are nearly tropical yet winters are so cold and brutal sometimes. Weirdest humid subtropic region in the world for sure!

Blame Canada!  ;) 

• Upvote 2

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

2 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

Blame Canada!  ;) 

I always do lol!

1 hour ago, Manalto said:

Build that wall!

Or as @PalmTreeDude said the other day dig an ocean