IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

S. louisiana Bluestem

JSKeys

I decided to move a little (one zone) out of my comfort zone and try out S. louisiana Bluestem. I just got these 1 gallons from Mail Order Natives and they look very healthy with a good size root ball. They'll spend the winter in pots and then get planted in the Spring.

For many years I've played it safe with the pretty much bulletproof dwarf palmetto, needle and windmill palms. If we get a truly zone 7a winter after they go in the ground these bluestems may be toasted, but I'll chance it. 

Does anyone else have experience with S louisiana in zone 7a?

Bluestem.JPG

Edited by JSKeys
  • Upvote 5

Personally, no experience with this species, but it definitely experiences at least single digits once in a while in its native habitat.  Hardiness is often lumped in with Sabal minor, so the reports of it surviving below 0F on this site aren't that unreasonable:

https://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/92706/

• Upvote 3

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

14 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

Personally, no experience with this species, but it definitely experiences at least single digits once in a while in its native habitat.  Hardiness is often lumped in with Sabal minor, so the reports of it surviving below 0F on this site aren't that unreasonable:

https://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/92706/

Great info from that site, especially in the comments section.

And for only $9.00 for a 1 gallon I definitely feel better about this palm.

Thanks

Edited by JSKeys

I go to Dave's a lot to check the behavior of plants because a lot of the commenters are ordinary (albeit avid) gardeners, not professional growers. It helps me understand how a plant will perform under less-than-ideal conditions. I particularly like the "This plant has been said to grow in the following regions" section. It helps where zone designation isn't enough.

Thanks, JS, for making me aware of this palm. I've got a spot for it!

• Upvote 2

Don't know about this specific "bluestem" species, but I will say the usual blue S. Louisiana species is VERY VERY cold hardy. I have a few in the ground in my 5b/6a zone that I do protect but in the beginning the protection was VERY minimal with virtually no thermal protection, just a clear plastic pop up greenouse with mini christmas lights inside which

probably didn't do much at all but palm rockets through winter every year. Last winter we had 1 night of -20f  ambient temp, NOT windchill and while palms outside were protected I'm sure the lights inside had a tough time keeping up. Wireless temp sensors I have in select palms were recording 0-5F inside, yet all made it.

I think you'll have great success with the species.

• Upvote 1

On 11/17/2018, 10:08:53, JSKeys said:

I decided to move a little (one zone) out of my comfort zone and try out S. louisiana Bluestem. I just got these 1 gallons from Mail Order Natives and they look very healthy with a good size root ball. They'll spend the winter in pots and then get planted in the Spring.

For many years I've played it safe with the pretty much bulletproof dwarf palmetto, needle and windmill palms. If we get a truly zone 7a winter after they go in the ground these bluestems may be toasted, but I'll chance it. 

Does anyone else have experience with S louisiana in zone 7a?

Bluestem.JPG

Those look so good, just ordered a pair for myself. Glad you posted this.

• Upvote 1

Wow never heard of these folks! They have all 3 pine trees Im looking to try to "grove"/""pineflat" as well as the palms I want to go with the pines too! Now I need to find a yucca source. Going to try those bluestem for sure! Those look awesome by the way! 

• Upvote 1

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

• 3 weeks later...

Bought a couple myself and was impressed with packaging and that I requested that they wait until after I was back from vacation to ship. Probably one of the only palms I would take a chance on having shipped to me this time of year. Will see how they do in their pots over the winter indoors.

I have come to realize that the S. Louisiana species...for me...and my area is probably one of the top 3 most tough and cold hard palms to have in a cold climate.. Even more so than regular Sabal Minor

• Upvote 1