IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Trachy Looking Sick

Rightstuff15

I've noticed one of my potted Trachy is looking puny and sick.  I kept it watered and fertilized through the summer and it look great until a couple weeks ago.  Does anyone have any ideas or advice?

Thanks

20181027_103341_small.jpg

20181027_103348_small.jpg

20181027_103354_small.jpg

I’ve had them do this from over watering/drainage issues which lead to root issues 

with less sun and heat in fall the soil will stay wet longer as well

1 hour ago, Rickybobby said:

I’ve had them do this from over watering/drainage issues which lead to root issues 

with less sun and heat in fall the soil will stay wet longer as well

Looks like water is the bowl too. 

47 minutes ago, RJ said:

Looks like water is the bowl too. 

I was going to say that lol yeah looks like standing water in bottom a disaster for trachycarpus 

Overwatering. Never let them sit in standing water. You needn't water as much during fall/winter. I suggest you unpot the sick one, discard the old potting mix, rinse off and examine the roots. Healthy roots are white, dead/dying roots black or brown. Trim dead roots. Soak the roots for an hour in a bucket of 3% hydrogen peroxide. H2O2 kills micro organisms and disinfects dead/dying tissue without harming healthy roots. Clean the pot and toss the tray - if pot & tray are one piece, toss the whole thing and get another single pot (notice the palm on the left does not sit in a tray). Then mix up another batch of coarse, well-draining potting mix (no cheap discount store potting soil) and repot the palm. Back off on the watering while palm (hopefully) recovers. Water sparingly only when the soil is dry. It should be moist, not soggy or mucky.

Good luck

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.