IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

butia pindo blue x jubaea shock ?

Love them palms

Recieved my jubaea x butia pindo blue about 2 weeks ago and it was looking good and now it looks like it's going to some kind of shock can anybody diagnose what is going on It was shipped from Florida to mukilteo Washington So I don't know if the temperature difference had something to do with it But now the tips of the fonds are growing Brown  And there is  some yellowness  Going on at the spear to I would sure like some help so I can fix this problem Here are some pics of the current state it's in

It looks like you have 2 palms shown. The one in the clay pot should be transferred to a 1 gallon plastic pot.

The other one looks fine.

My Jubaea Butia (mutt) took over a year to start looking decent after I received it, but now it's growing well and looks healthy.

Hi 80°, Lo 53°

Casas Adobes - NW of Tucson since July 2014

formerly in the San Carlos region of San Diego

First off stay away from soil brands that have too much peat moss in them. You want the soil to be moist but free draining. 

Feel free to cut back the browning leave tips but just a little. 

This first one is planted to shallow in the pot. Give those roots plenty of room to grow down and out. Size of the pot is good. But don't re-pot it again this fall. 

15404175720954707468415596492141.thumb.jpg.6bdbccb89792090d5b2b6789b4bfaefc.jpg

Edited by Palm crazy

This one looks really good and strong it just needs some light to green it up. The soil looks perfect. 

1540417736904365561063778090053.thumb.jpg.674200d33274ee1e60bae19e0df550bb.jpg

Edited by Palm crazy

The one-gallon black potted one can be potted up now or in early spring to a larger pot. Personally, I would wait till late March. But it is up to you.  

Make sure all of them have good drainage to keep them from rotting.  None of these palms are going to grow this winter so don't force them. 

15404179441217416248162283693797.thumb.jpg.b41490d0148a9afc9f3481d3b32566b8.jpg

Edited by Palm crazy

I ABSOLUTELY despise potting "soil". Give me garden soil anyday for a potted plant. Call me crazy all you want lol.

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

3 hours ago, Palm crazy said:

The one-gallon black potted one can be potted up now or in early spring to a larger pot. Personally, I would wait till late March. But it is up to you.  

Make sure all of them have good drainage to keep them from rotting.  None of these palms are going to grow this winter so don't force them. 

15404179441217416248162283693797.thumb.jpg.b41490d0148a9afc9f3481d3b32566b8.jpg

Thank you for the input palm crazy , I will be planting the one in the black pot this coming spring in the ground, its pretty good size now,got some copper fungicide ready just in case problems arise, it's a butia x jubaea so it's my prize posession, the one in the brown pot is a butiagrus-have 2 of them 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Love them palms said:

Thank you for the input palm crazy , I will be planting the one in the black pot this coming spring in the ground, its pretty good size now,got some copper fungicide ready just in case problems arise, it's a butia x jubaea so it's my prize posession, the one in the brown pot is a butiagrus-have 2 of them 

Nice Score!  Plant the Butiagrus in your best microclimate away from cold winds and plenty of sun.  (I grow mine with some overhead protection from a messy old holy tree. LOL.) BxJ should do really good for you.  :D

If you got that Butia x Jubaea from Florida you purchased a regular Pindo.  Myself and few others on the forum purchased these a few years ago from that seller and they are onlyextremely overpriced butia.  The seller will absolutely not provide a stamen count or pictures of the flowers.

46 minutes ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

If you got that Butia x Jubaea from Florida you purchased a regular Pindo.  Myself and few others on the forum purchased these a few years ago from that seller and they are onlyextremely overpriced butia.  The seller will absolutely not provide a stamen count or pictures of the flowers.

46 minutes ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

I got mine from palmsgalor777 from Ebay for 29 dollars,,if that is same seller then I am in the same boat,but hey all is not lost I have your seeds:D

Edited by Love them palms

It's a shame folks can get away with stuff like that,on the brite side I,ll  have a lot of future butia x jubaea trees to make up for this scam:D

Edited by Love them palms