IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What Is Your Best Yard Microclimate?

PalmTreeDude

What is the best microclimate in your yard? Mine is a part of my back yard in a corner that faces south it has Leyland Cypress and other trees and bushes all aro around it to the north, which usually protects this area from the first few frosts. Don't mind my two raised beds, the winds from Michael messed them up. The Elephant Ears in the back never bor big like the ones in my front yard. 

1540068538378738.jpg

Edited by PalmTreeDude

PalmTreeDude

My best microclimate is in my jungle overlooking my canal in my south-facing back yard. The dense canopy provides a 10-15 degree heat relief on a sweltering day and blocks the hot sun and wind. The canal offers a bit of cold moderation in winter while the house and side yards help block north winds. At least I like to think so.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Mine is also my back yard.  That part of the yard is shielded from the north by podocarpus hedges 12-15 feet high, has overhead canopy from a mature live oak tree, and the west wind is blocked by the house.  The front yard has seen frost numerous times since it is open, but I've not seen frost on the ground in 8 years back there.  The effect has been so pronounced that I bought a live oak tree to grow as canopy for the front.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Front yard up against the house, southerly exposure. Next to the chimney is the warmest when I crank the fire place. Fire place not used in long, long time, overheats the house.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

My eastern side of my house rarely if ever freezes the past 2 winters and is blocked by the worst of our winter winds which usually come from the west. It also gets most of the days sun which could explain why it rarely freezes. Also have a good spot on the south eastern corner that's blocked from western and northern winds and gets even more sun. Will be planting these areas in March of next year finally as the addition went on months past our quoted time.

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

On 10/21/2018, 1:39:21, mdsonofthesouth said:

My eastern side of my house rarely if ever freezes the past 2 winters and is blocked by the worst of our winter winds which usually come from the west. It also gets most of the days sun which could explain why it rarely freezes. Also have a good spot on the south eastern corner that's blocked from western and northern winds and gets even more sun. Will be planting these areas in March of next year finally as the addition went on months past our quoted time.

I suggest placing a high/low thermometer in that particular spot. If it's in Maryland, I'm pretty sure it gets to below freezing...  I pray I'm wrong.

• Upvote 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

1 hour ago, GottmitAlex said:

I suggest placing a high/low thermometer in that particular spot. If it's in Maryland, I'm pretty sure it gets to below freezing...  I pray I'm wrong.

Oh it gets bellow freezing and it frosts over there most times, but the ground is soft 8/10 times the rest of the property freezes. It's only a small part and it certainly is an oddity. Last time I measured during a hard frost when the rest of the property was solid about 4 or 6in down the east southeast soil was soft and 34 to 36f. Most of our bad winter winds are western based and this area is blocked completely while still getting good sun. 

So an oddity for sure but not frost or freeze proof by any means.

• Upvote 1

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

There is a 4-foot strip of plantable space between my house and driveway that faces south and has full sun exposure. It is raised about a foot and drains really well. Our winters are prolonged, wet and cool (even during years when we don't get any frost). I've found that keeping tropicals dry in winter helps to keep them from developing rot. I can grow plumeria and pachypodium here, whereas in other areas of the yard they might develop rot and die. The overhanging eaves help protect from the occasional frost also. 

I would say the best micro climate is in in a raised bed area where an avocado tree provides overhead protection with western exposre.  In this spot I planted a mango seedling and a Pachypodim lameri expecting them to die during the first winter.  Three years later are both doing well and the Pachypodium has never gone complexly dormant meaning that it has always held green leaves even during the coldest months.

Depends a bit on what's being planted. Difficulty here is the sun is to the north for 8 months of the year and to the south for 4 months. Things that need shade have to be in from the edge of canopy otherwise they'll burn at some stage during the year. If they need sun they need to be away from canopy, or be a part of it. The other consideration is shelter from wind. South east winds are predominantly hot and dry during the dry season. The other winds tend to be more humid. Usually I try to research plant habitats to work out where it would be most suitable for them.

West side of the yard is where the best microclimate can be found in my garden.

In fact 6:30pm pst, the TJ airport is reporting 14C.  Here, it's 18C.

20181029_182823.jpg

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

For me, the Best spot is in between the two houses on the east side of the house. I have several Butia's planted there. And, the south facing front porch is very protected that's where I grow my potted Agaves. I also have a few small spots here and there tucked underneath some taller palms on the west side of the house. Those areas I grow one cycad and semi-tender palms on a downward slope. 

DSC_0056 copy 2.jpg

Edited by Palm crazy

• 2 weeks later...

Small garden facing SW right by my front door and protected by the garage from the east winds.  In summer it can be 20F+ warmer than ambient temps elsewhere in the yard.  Today its 6F warmer but will heat up as the sun moves west in the afternoon.

Butia 2.jpg

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, Chester B said:

Small garden facing SW right by my front door and protected by the garage from the east winds.  In summer it can be 20F+ warmer than ambient temps elsewhere in the yard.  Today its 6F warmer but will heat up as the sun moves west in the afternoon.

Butia 2.jpg

Beautiful butia! Wait till it gets some trunk to it. It's going to really look nice there. 

Thanks!  It's actually bigger than it looks, its a good 2' or 3' taller than me.  I have some small mule palms in pots that are tempting me to put them on the other side of the path where I have some cactus growing.

Front 1.jpg

Here is a prime example of my best microclimate.

This one was taken several hours later and still had snow. The above melted well before the video and what you saw was shovel/plowed extra snow that was added by me. We got around 3in of heavy wet snow 1+ months before our typical window. But at least it showcases the difference well.

Edited by mdsonofthesouth
  • Upvote 1

Is that AC unit a heat pump as well? 

The snow is also melted more quickly there because of the lack of grass, Your ground is still warm, and the direct contact the snow has on the warm dirt as opposed to on the grass causes it to melt quickly. That's why you often see snow accumulate first on grass surfaces. Also notice you still have snow on your bark mulch. 

Edited by RJ

3 hours ago, RJ said:

Is that AC unit a heat pump as well? 

The snow is also melted more quickly there because of the lack of grass, Your ground is still warm, and the direct contact the snow has on the warm dirt as opposed to on the grass causes it to melt quickly. That's why you often see snow accumulate first on grass surfaces. Also notice you still have snow on your bark mulch. 

Thats a window unit for the shop and a mini split for the addition. This is exactly what happened even when there was grass in that spot and when the ground would freeze here and there this spot almost always would stay soft and unfrozen. It gets the first sun of the day and pretty much full sun all day...well for the most part. Also sloped pretty well for drainage I guess and between warm asphalt and a warm concrete/house. I need to till in some sand and put mulch down soon as the funds for that job come through, but for now thats how itll be. Cant wait to plant there in the spring and see the differences to my northwest corner!

Is the mini split also a heating unit? Many are, but not all. You're pretty far north so perhaps have NG/LP for heat or even oil. 

41 minutes ago, RJ said:

Is the mini split also a heating unit? Many are, but not all. You're pretty far north so perhaps have NG/LP for heat or even oil. 

lol not as far north as you think Maybe 7.5 give or take hours from you and the most common type of heat here is by far heat pump. Yes both the "window" and split unit do both heat and ac. There are older houses with oil heat but they are mostly to the west and when you get to the really cold areas up by West Virginia you might even find really old homes with coal lol. 

We went for a split unit to save lots of $$$ with our addition and the window unit is for the shop and easily keeps the area at 68 even on the coldest nights and the door cracked. 

21 minutes ago, mdsonofthesouth said:

lol not as far north as you think Maybe 7.5 give or take hours from you and the most common type of heat here is by far heat pump. Yes both the "window" and split unit do both heat and ac. There are older houses with oil heat but they are mostly to the west and when you get to the really cold areas up by West Virginia you might even find really old homes with coal lol. 

We went for a split unit to save lots of $$$ with our addition and the window unit is for the shop and easily keeps the area at 68 even on the coldest nights and the door cracked. 

Okay, the reason I was wondering is be careful as to your palm placement.  As you may or may not know all a heat pump/ AC unit does is move "heat" from one place to the other. In the winter it extracts heat from the outside air and moves it inside. So it will do the exact opposite as the AC unit in the summer, the air coming off that unit will be colder then the ambient air temperature. 

Heat pumps are certainly a good way to save money, even when I lived up by Canada folks are installing them as they now have air source heat pumps that are efficient down to -14f,  I lived in a cold 5a. Outside palms where a non starter. :unsure:

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, RJ said:

Okay, the reason I was wondering is be careful as to your palm placement.  As you may or may not know all a heat pump/ AC unit does is move "heat" from one place to the other. In the winter it extracts heat from the outside air and moves it inside. So it will do the exact opposite as the AC unit in the summer, the air coming off that unit will be colder then the ambient air temperature. 

Heat pumps are certainly a good way to save money, even when I lived up by Canada folks are installing them as they now have air source heat pumps that are efficient down to -14f,  I lived in a cold 5a. Outside palms where a non starter. :unsure:

Good to know thanks! Maybe Ill do smaller palms in those nooks surrounded by bullet proof palms like needles. The space is pretty large and will take a whole lot of plants to fill it up lol so no need to plant near the units. Was more or less looking at that nook by the chimney as the most shielded area of my garden that would be best for the butia I plan on trying and have that shield the chamarodea radicalis I plan on trying as well. Come Februrary/March Ill be busy in the garden for sure! Still haven't prepped the palms for winter...

• 4 weeks later...

Recorded this just now to show the difference at night. Will do a mid day tomorrow comparison hopefully.