IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Washingtonia: why I think such a great starter palm

Rickybobby

These guys wether hybrid or not. Less than 2 weeks after sowing with a heat mat in a baggie you get 95 percent germination 

wether I give them heat or cool they do awesome some moderate light and doesn’t matter. If I give them wet soil or dry I have amazing success. Such a great beginner Palm. Pictured is my washy that I keep in a decorative pot and repotted today due to roots pushing out the. Bottom. 

7279DF8A-31B5-4720-950F-B1D3F13F8A4A.jpeg

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Manalto said:

Nice! Sounds more like growing corn than a palm. I should give it a try - I need some success.

These and Phoenix dactylifera have been fun. I got these seeds from seedman abs unfortunately I never did order robusta but my palms are looking to be that way or maybe filabusta. It seems I’ve maybe gotten all 3 within 20 seeds. Which is fine I guess 

also put this thread in pots forum because they will never be in the ground for me 

• Upvote 1

Washingtonia has to be the absolute easiest palm to germinate.  I got a free batch of robusta with an order from overseas.  They all germinated within 7 days.

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Nice job! When I was just starting out I got some (what were said to be) Washingtonia filifera to germinate, but ended up killing them because I has absolutely no clue what I was doing. I must of over watered them or something. You can grow W. robusta outside here with winter protection pretty easily, I tried this but ended up making mine rot. I will probably try again next Spring. 

PalmTreeDude

You are spot on, Rickybobby. Sabals were the first palms I tried from seeds and they are great starter palms.

• Upvote 2

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Meg, by "they" do you mean sabals or Washingtonias? I'd love to grow sabals, but maybe I'm too old to enjoy the results. Oh, well, it can be my legacy.

Edited by Manalto

6 hours ago, Manalto said:

Meg, by "they" do you mean sabals or Washingtonias? I'd love to grow sabals, but maybe I'm too old to enjoy the results. Oh, well, it can be my legacy.

I guess I mean both. I would never tell anyone to let age dictate what they can or can't grow. Unless you know for certain you have an upcoming expiration date I see no reason why you shouldn't try Sabals. S. minor can go from seed to seeding in 5-6 years. I got Sabals causiarum, domingensis, maritima and mauritiiformis go from seeds to 20' tall in less than 10 years. And Sabals are cold hardier than Washies.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I was only half serious, making a reference to how slow-growing I thought sabals were, but your results with some of the species is remarkable and changes my perception of the genus. I really like the look of S. causiarum; the others I have yet to learn.

Edited by Manalto

On 10/14/2018, 4:39:11, kinzyjr said:

Washingtonia has to be the absolute easiest palm to germinate.  I got a free batch of robusta with an order from overseas.  They all germinated within 7 days.

Ha we must of ordered from the same person as I ordered some pindo seeds and also received a free batch of robusta seeds :lol:

Just now, RJ said:

Ha we must of ordered from the same person as I ordered some pindo seeds and also received a free batch of robusta seeds :lol:

Sounds very similar to my situation.  In my case, I ordered phoenix theophrasti and received phoenix dactylifera (along with the aforementioned robustas).

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

2 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

Sounds very similar to my situation.  In my case, I ordered phoenix theophrasti and received phoenix dactylifera (along with the aforementioned robustas).

IIRC correctly I think they were from Germany. Certainly not 100% certain on that, I didn't germinate the robustas as I'm not a big fan of them. Perhaps some day they will grow on me. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, RJ said:

IIRC correctly I think they were from Germany. Certainly not 100% certain on that, I didn't germinate the robustas as I'm not a big fan of them. Perhaps some day they will grow on me.

In my case, I think my order was from France.  I gave mine away.  I'm not a huge fan of robust either, but I do have a soft spot for filifera.

Lakeland, FL

Lol, I'll have to pick some up and sow them tomorrow. That rate is great for fallen germination spirit :wub:

1 hour ago, dalmatiansoap said:

Lol, I'll have to pick some up and sow them tomorrow. That rate is great for fallen germination spirit :wub:

It’s funny how chexking inside a baggie and seeing a new seed sprout can really brighten your day! I know that I can’t keep all the palms that I have and some will eveualy outgrow my house but the tranquility and fun growing them is so worth the loss down the road. My job has been very stressful the last few years and Palms and Palm talk have helped me a lot 

thanks everyone. Very soon In a month I will post a few of my washys and you can help guess what I have. I never ordered anything but filifera but yet I think I have 3 species 

• Upvote 1