IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Winter Outlook 2018-2019

Palm crazy

Here's long term numbers for March , in Orlando , and in Daytona Beach :

I distinctly remember the 1980 event , as it was a surprise , and had not been well predicted . The front came down a lot further

that any of the forecasts that I had seen . The day before was quite cold , and  not long after noon on that day , I realized that the coming night

was going to be very cold , so I made hasty preps .

25094962200_cd2f1af23a_b.jpgOrlando March by Bill H, on Flickr

24763870963_d10395a22e_b.jpgDaytona Beach March by Bill H, on Flickr

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 2/22/2019 at 11:17 AM, Matthew92 said:

In know one image quite a few days out on a model run is somewhat unlikely to play out, but I've been seeing consistency in the colder weather coming back to the East in early March in some form. Just a reminder that it isn't completely over yet. There have been freezing temps in March in N. FL more than once in the last 10 years. The exact same thing happened last year. As soon as January ended, all the cold switched back to the Western CONUS, and practically the entire month of February was mid to high 70's at my location in NW FL. It caused things to bud and bloom out only to get damaged by early March light freezes when the cold came back to the Eastern CONUS.

203872956_Marchfreeze.thumb.PNG.b978a4df68df681907898e9914e8de94.PNG

Well, it looks like this forecast is holding true, as the cold is indeed coming back to the Eastern US in early March. All the way down to N. FL will need to be on freeze watch around the 6th.

1 hour ago, Matthew92 said:

Well, it looks like this forecast is holding true, as the cold is indeed coming back to the Eastern US in early March. All the way down to N. FL will need to be on freeze watch around the 6th.

Predictions for high 30s down here on the 6th.

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

1 hour ago, Matthew92 said:

Confirmed here in the DMV.

• Like 1

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

So first, the cold was on the east coast, then it shifted to the west coast, and now, it seems it seems to double back...

Well, we're almost out of winter. Can't be much longer.... 

• Like 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

5 hours ago, Matthew92 said:

Yikes, current forecast for Tuesday night is 34F for my area. Niceville is at 31F and towns along I-10 in the inland panhandle between 30-28F. We’ll see how that changes the closer to Tuesday we get. 

That map puts the eastern end of north FL in the green, even though Lake City and other I-10 towns there are also forecast to get to 30F on Wednesday night. 

Edited by Estlander
  • Like 1

This winter in San Diego had some very cold points. For multiple nights, the temp dropped down to low 30F across the county. Its just starting to warm up a bit. Nights are now high 40F low 50F. Our mountains have a ton of snow on them! 

Besides it being cold, the overall rainfall we had was stupendous! Everywhere in San Diego is getting really green because of the amount of rain we got! Ive been noticing a lot of fresh leaves with new plant growth. Pretty sure the drought is no longer in effect, which is awesome! The News is predicting a 'super bloom' this spring :D 

• Like 1