IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Handfull of filifera in a ditch

TexasColdHardyPalms

I have no idea how they got here but these little ditch dwellers sprouted up last year, burned to the ground in the winter, came back up and got weed whacked a few times, went through 65 days with zero irrigation and 110f days and keep on trucking along. This wet September sure has kicked them into overdrive.  

Got a few rogue bismarckia from a spent seed batch popping up and several sabals too. 

20180924_113412.jpg

20180924_113429.jpg

20180924_113415.jpg

• Upvote 9

FyI that armata was 100% defoliated this winter and you can see the burn. I havent watered it a single time in almost 24 months.  

• Upvote 3

Yep, they're resilient for sure. I have seen them growing in cracks in cement, and they often sprout up in cracks in asphalt around here. Anywhere the seed can reach a bit of moisture for the period when they sprout, they'll carve out a living seemingly without water after that. 

Here are a few sabals and a filifera i have yet to pull up in from of my garage. Sabals are mexicana or rosei as they didnt burn this winter. 

20180925_114706.jpg

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Upload issue9

20180925_114659.jpg

That's a familiar sight here - even more so in Houston!  When I grow them myself from seed they won't look this good most times!  :floor:

• Upvote 1

Jon Sunder

Here's the largest of 5 filiferas I bought from TexasColdHardyPalms in March of 2018 in a 1G liner.  Now it's 48" to the top of the leaf tips.  This is one of the one's that got damaged last winter when your greenhouse door blew open when we had the brutal cold for N Texas.  This one gets the least water but the most sun.

IMG_3160.jpg

• Upvote 6

I really like filifera. Dang Texas, what they doing in a ditch?

What you look for is what is looking

@bubba I must have cleaned filifera seed here at the house at one time or another and somehow they made it way over there.  That's how the Bismarckia and sabals all popped up. 

I found a few rogue Armata and palo verde growing out in a field at the nursery.  I'm pretty sure rats/squirrels are responsible for those.

@Texas,

Feel free to dig up and sell me that Brahea there! ;)  I asked your brother to show me when I was out there yesterday but he said it was at your house.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/2/2018, 1:53:14, SRJbb99 said:

@Texas,

Feel free to dig up and sell me that Brahea there! ;)  I asked your brother to show me when I was out there yesterday but he said it was at your house.

That is a nice B. armata.  Unfortunately they don't transplant well - I moved a similar sized one a few years ago that hadn't been in the ground but a few months and thought I got all of the rootball, but it slowly went into decline.  Joseph might be skilled enough to dig it out for you, but I wouldn't risk it as it has been in the ground for awhile and has likely put down some deep roots.  Better to get one of his potted ones.  

Jon

Jon Sunder

We have plenty of Armata around in pots/containers for sale, so no need to dig anything up.