IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Last day of Summer ( astronomical) 2018 in Daytona

Bill H2DB

Here's a shot of some local  PWS's  via W.U. taken this morn at about 7AM.

(The DP has actually dropped since yesterday , when it was at 78-80 for much of the day , and that 

combined with air temps of about 90-92 , gave heat indexes of about 107 or so....)

Surf Temps have been running about 86 deg for a few weeks .

30950673138_e2706a029a_b.jpg7AM 9-21-18 DB area by Bill H, on Flickr

The last day of summer has always been sad for me...

but who am I kidding; I live in Eastern North Carolina, we have about another month of summerlike heat and humidity 

Zone 8a/8b Greenville, NC 

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

9 hours ago, NC_Palms said:

The last day of summer has always been sad for me...

but who am I kidding; I live in Eastern North Carolina, we have about another month of summerlike heat and humidity 

Nothing more fun than calling family up north just after a snow storm and telling them about your wonderful day at the beach ;)

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

@PalmTreeDude I thought there was a cold front coming down impacting the Midwest and Northeast this next week.  I see highs in the 60's and low 70s in the Richmond forecast starting tomorrow.

Plenty hot out but temps are beginning to fall. Instead of highs in the mid-90s, highs are now 90-91. Lows have gone from mid- to upper-70s, even low 80s to 70-72F. Once nightly lows reliably fall below 70F (around mid-Oct.) the rains stop overnight and humidity drops (by FL standards). Dry season arrives and local weather forecasters can pinpoint the exact day it does. I have never lived in a place where summer shifts into fall so suddenly.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

18 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Plenty hot out but temps are beginning to fall. Instead of highs in the mid-90s, highs are now 90-91. Lows have gone from mid- to upper-70s, even low 80s to 70-72F. Once nightly lows reliably fall below 70F (around mid-Oct.) the rains stop overnight and humidity drops (by FL standards). Dry season arrives and local weather forecasters can pinpoint the exact day it does. I have never lived in a place where summer shifts into fall so suddenly.

When I lived up north, we could go from summer to winter in a few hours.  When I was finishing my undergraduate work, I woke up at 7am and the temperature was ~72F.  I listened to the radio on the way to school and they were telling people to dress warm.  I thought they were crazy.  I went to my first class, came out, and there were snow flurries.  We ended up getting some freezing rain in the late afternoon since the sun had warmed it up some. The power was out for 3 days because of the amount of ice causing some of the old trees and limbs to fall.  I still have the pictures from October of 2001.

Winter in Oct2k2 back.jpg

Winter in Oct2k2 front.jpg

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

1 hour ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

@PalmTreeDude I thought there was a cold front coming down impacting the Midwest and Northeast this next week.  I see highs in the 60's and low 70s in the Richmond forecast starting tomorrow.

My local forecast has days in the 80s and nights in the mid 60s. One of our days is 72 (Monday). This is just for the week. I will look again tonight and see if anything changes. 

Edited by PalmTreeDude

PalmTreeDude

54 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

When I lived up north, we could go from summer to winter in a few hours.  When I was finishing my undergraduate work, I woke up at 7am and the temperature was ~72F.  I listened to the radio on the way to school and they were telling people to dress warm.  I thought they were crazy.  I went to my first class, came out, and there were snow flurries.  We ended up getting some freezing rain in the late afternoon since the sun had warmed it up some. The power was out for 3 days because of the amount of ice causing some of the old trees and limbs to fall.  I still have the pictures from October of 2001.

I had rogue cold fronts come in early when I lived in VA. But usually temps went back to "normal" at some point. I think what startled me when we moved to FL - credit to my husband for noticing it first - was that once nightly temps fell below 70F, the rainy season faucet switched off and stayed that way for the next 6-7 months. I have a basic understanding of the meteorological reasons, i.e., shorter days, fewer hours to heat up the land to cause updrafts leading to formation of rain clouds. Wind conditions change to reflect the intrusion of northern cold fronts, yadda, yadda. Still, the almost pinpoint onset of dry season and relief from daily swelter startled me most - little to no transition. I know all that comes from living on a long, narrow subtropical peninsula with ocean and the Gulf Stream on 3 sides. Quite unique, if you think about it.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Florida

3 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

I do have to correct one thing.  I meant to write October of 2002.  Purely a typo.

2 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

I had rogue cold fronts come in early when I lived in VA. But usually temps went back to "normal" at some point. I think what startled me when we moved to FL - credit to my husband for noticing it first - was that once nightly temps fell below 70F, the rainy season faucet switched off and stayed that way for the next 6-7 months. I have a basic understanding of the meteorological reasons, i.e., shorter days, fewer hours to heat up the land to cause updrafts leading to formation of rain clouds. Wind conditions change to reflect the intrusion of northern cold fronts, yadda, yadda. Still, the almost pinpoint onset of dry season and relief from daily swelter startled me most - little to no transition. I know all that comes from living on a long, narrow subtropical peninsula with ocean and the Gulf Stream on 3 sides. Quite unique, if you think about it.

I blame Canada when we get the nasty cold fronts.  ;)  That said, I'm really happy during the 2nd week of October when temperature comes down and the humidity leaves.

Lakeland, FL

5 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

I do have to correct one thing.  I meant to write October of 2002.  Purely a typo.

I blame Canada when we get the nasty cold fronts.  ;)  That said, I'm really happy during the 2nd week of October when temperature comes down and the humidity leaves.

I'm about 7-10 days behind you.

Meg

Florida

The slow descent into winter is really depressing, decreasing daylight and decreasing temperatures, I hate it.

Highs in the 80’s and 90’s now replaced by highs in the 60’s and 70’s, and by January highs are only around 40. It could be much worse, so I try not to complain, but it could also be a lot better than this. This climate is only good from April through October, the rest is a waste.

But for now, it’s still warm enough (70+ highs and 60+ lows) for even my most tropical plants to continue to grow, nothing has slowed as of yet.

Edited by cm05

On 9/22/2018, 5:52:37, cm05 said:

The slow descent into winter is really depressing, decreasing daylight and decreasing temperatures, I hate it.

Highs in the 80’s and 90’s now replaced by highs in the 60’s and 70’s, and by January highs are only around 40. It could be much worse, so I try not to complain, but it could also be a lot better than this. This climate is only good from April through October, the rest is a waste.

But for now, it’s still warm enough (70+ highs and 60+ lows) for even my most tropical plants to continue to grow, nothing has slowed as of yet.

You sound like you have Seasonal Affected Disorder (SAD). My husband had it when we lived in VA and he could be unbearable to live with during dark, cold days, i.e., 6 months per year. We both also got terrible bronchitis. That ended when we moved to Cape Coral. Now he gets it only on rare rainy days. I have no more sympathy and threaten to kill him in his sleep.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Florida

On 9/22/2018, 1:24:27, PalmatierMeg said:

We are in one of those "rogue" events right now. We have historically swam in my father's and grandmas pool well into October at times but they closed it now due to the week being 60s and 70s for a few days. End of summer for sure.

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

On 9/23/2018, 6:02:53, PalmatierMeg said:

You sound like you have Seasonal Affected Disorder (SAD). My husband had it when we lived in VA and he could be unbearable to live with during dark, cold days, i.e., 6 months per year. We both also got terrible bronchitis. That ended when we moved to Cape Coral. Now he gets it only on rare rainy days. I have no more sympathy and threaten to kill him in his sleep.

Very common (SAD) where I used to live. (about 20 miles from the Canadian boarder as the crow flies) My wife is in the medical field and SAD was the real deal up there. I had friends that would spend time in front of artificial lights to help with it. I would pick my kids up at the school bus and it was getting dark by 3:30. I don't miss that one bit. Part of me wishes I moved a little further south for palm reasons ;).  

On 9/22/2018, 5:52:37, cm05 said:

That's pretty much how I felt when I lived up that way.  Between Easter and Halloween, not too bad.  Otherwise, just let me hibernate and wake me up when the rivers are stocked with fish.

26 minutes ago, RJ said:

Very common (SAD) where I used to live. (about 20 miles from the Canadian boarder as the crow flies) My wife is in the medical field and SAD was the real deal up there. I had friends that would spend time in front of artificial lights to help with it. I would pick my kids up at the school bus and it was getting dark by 3:30. I don't miss that one bit. Part of me wishes I moved a little further south for palm reasons ;).  

I have considered moving further south as well, but things are pretty good here.  Certainly better than seeing -40F during the winter of 1994.

On 9/23/2018, 6:02:53, PalmatierMeg said:

My aunt used to get (SAD).  Absolutely unbearable to be around in the late fall and winter.  The cold, dry air has a lot of negative effects as well (itchy/flaky skin, etc.)  Don't miss any of that.

Lakeland, FL

1 hour ago, kinzyjr said:

That's pretty much how I felt when I lived up that way.  Between Easter and Halloween, not too bad.  Otherwise, just let me hibernate and wake me up when the rivers are stocked with fish.

I have considered moving further south as well, but things are pretty good here.  Certainly better than seeing -40F during the winter of 1994.

My aunt used to get (SAD).  Absolutely unbearable to be around in the late fall and winter.  The cold, dry air has a lot of negative effects as well (itchy/flaky skin, etc.)  Don't miss any of that.

I empathize. I would get sick but not plagued with a short fuse, anger, depression and overall misery. Thank goodness, for the sake of our kids who had to contend with a dad in the depths of gloom half the year.

Meg

Florida

Fall? No "autumnal" weather just yet, at least not down here. Starting to see pictures of the leaves changing colors up near Flagstaff / North Rim country, and higher parts of the White Mountains over the past week though.. 

For Phoenix, today marks the 125th day it has been 100F+ this year. Nights have been starting to cool off however ( still mostly 4-7F above normal ).. Forecast for the rest of the week/ month keeps highs reaching 100-104F which will put us at 129 days ...tying for second place if it pans out.  Thankfully, it looks like we will not reach the record  which is 143 days set back in 1989. 

Beyond Sunday, weather around the region could get interesting, and come closer to resembling something like Fall..  

Interesting note of the day: Sunrise/ Sunset both occurred at 6:18 for a total Day length of 12:00.08 

Well , despite having lived in Central Florida for over 65 years , I do get S.A.D.  each year .

The days are short in the midwinter , many days are gloomy ,  particularly in the afternoon here

along the coast .  Even here , the air overall becomes quite dry , and being an official old fart , and having

some skin problems ,  there's that too .  I live in an 80 yr old wooden house , and I do try to increase the humidity

inside , as I can .    We do get DP's in the 30's a fair amount of the time .

I do seek the afternoon sun as much as possible , and just get thru it .

Palms make it better !

Lakeland, FL