IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Finally some real rain

Daryl

Wal, how's the garden now? Nice and wet??? :)

post-42-1181036261_thumb.jpg

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

It's a soakin' good time I'm havin' here Daryl. Looks like tomorrow we'll get more and more importantly the dam catchments are in for good drop too.

I'm giving all my "rain" MP3s an airing tonight, "Have you ever seen the rain" and "Who'll stop the rain" by Creedence for starters. :D

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

A hard rain's a-gonna fall

We haven't had a drop yet...hopefully it will keep on heading south!

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Good to see some good rain fallin up there Wal, I hope it stays for a week or so or until you start to complain its too wet  :;):  :;): .

I hope it ventures south as well Daryl, although its nowhere as dry down here as it is in southeast Queensland I hope Huey sends loads of the stuff down.

Cheers

Matt.

Matt

Northern

New South Wales

Australia

Matt, here's what the bureau says "By Thursday the rain band is contracting to eastern districts with heavy falls

over the Wide Bay District, moderate falls over the SE. A  N.S.W "east coast

low" will eventually develop and the heavy rain will concentrate on the northern

N.S.W coast. "

looks like you guys will get swamped if it is a typical ECL.

Daryl

Really hope you guys get a right bucketing  :o

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Thats good news Daryl allthough I would hope that you guys continue to get good rain.

If an east coast low does develope I'll be cheering but as most of my family are sugar cane growers they will be less than happy as the crushing season is about to start.

But the wetter it gets the better for my garden at least :D  :D .

Matt

Northern

New South Wales

Australia

Snow in the Northern Tablelands: I found these pictures on Weatherzone Forum. There is also a further link to Mount Kaputar snow.

http://forum.weatherzone.com.au/cgi-bin....267;p=2

Here in Sydney we've had 36 hrs of heavy rain and strong winds.

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Frost-free within 20 km of coast

Nothing but warm sunny, not a cloud in the sky dry weather, around 20-23C over here for the next week. This is meant to be our wettest month. Looks like all the rain headed east. We're in trouble  :(

regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

(Tyrone @ Jun. 08 2007,23:29)

Nothing but warm sunny, not a cloud in the sky dry weather, around 20-23C over here for the next week. This is meant to be our wettest month. Looks like all the rain headed east. We're in trouble  :(

regards

Tyrone

Tyrone

Wonder if Western Australia is like Southwest US = going into a more intense drought.  We're screwed in California.   :(  Glad Queensland and places like Florida are back into your wet season  :)

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

(happ @ Jun. 09 2007,00:40)

(Tyrone @ Jun. 08 2007,23:29)

regards

Tyrone

Tyrone

Wonder if Western Australia is like Southwest US = going into a more intense drought.  We're screwed in California.   :(  Glad Queensland and places like Florida are back into your wet season  :)

This is purely speculative conjecture, but QLD is getting it's rainfall in the winter which is there dry period. Maybe the west will swing the other way as well and get it's wet in the summer, and have a dry winter. Could this mean a big cyclone or monsoon down here come summer. The long range forecasters are predicting much higher than normal rainfall for the SW of Australia come Jan Feb 08. But it's still just speculative conjecture. Who knows what will happen. I hope the SW US gets some rain eventually. Summer rain would be nice eh. :)

regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

• 2 weeks later...

It's raining steadily here and only 9c in the evening (5 below average)

Just waiting for expected strong winds, possibly gusting to gale force in the morning. Thanks to ECL which is apparently equivalent to TC cat 2.

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Frost-free within 20 km of coast

It started raining here. Yippee. Only about 160mm to go to get to average June rainfall figures. It's meant to rain for nearly a week and a bit. Don't think we'll reach average June figures this year either. June is changing from our wettest month, to one of our driest.

regards

Tyrone

• 2 weeks later...

It's been raining here a bit now, but the biggest problem is the wind. The weather warnings are predicting gusts up to 125km/hr tonight. Yesterday I looked at my 80ft tall Eucalypt as a very strong wind gust pushed all the leaves and branches to one side of the trunk. It was awe inspiring and it didn't budge.

This arvo we had some very strong rain, the sort I haven't seen since I was in Langkawi, but it had hail in it. :( The hail was about 5-8mm across. Not good. I hope I don't get too many spotty leaves.

regards

Tyrone