IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Hurricane Florence looking scary!

Reeverse

It it hits at the location and intensity predicted, this will be a repeat of Hugo.  Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst. :(

• Upvote 2

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Cat 4 upgrade and cat 5 isnt out of the question... I will be camping in the mountains...probably not the best idea but the trips been planned and will likely be a tropical storm at best by the time it hits Appalachia.

• Upvote 1

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

Every update the track gets where I am gets closer to the center. This is going to be crazy. I guess it is safe to the power is going to be about at least a week after it hits. 

• Upvote 1

PalmTreeDude

Evacuating North Carolina tomorrow and heading to my Mom's house in Pennsylvania. I spent all day preparing my palms and everything I grow and later sell. I have no idea how long I will be gone from North Carolina. 

• Upvote 2

Zone 8a/8b Greenville, NC 

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

Take care, everyone, and good luck. If you plan to get out go now. If you wait till the last minute you will be caught up in horrendous traffic. You don't want to be sitting in gridlock on a highway when this thing hits. MD Son of South, be aware that this storm may drop feet of rain on the Appalachians and you will be at high risk of flash floods. That happened with Hurricane Agnes in 1972 and the floods were awful. You don't want to be trapped in those mountains for days if roads are washed out. I suggest you reconsider your plans esp. if you have young children. These storms are unforgiving.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I hope those people that are planning on staying and riding out the storm are safe.  We don't have the hurricane on the west coast but do get big wind storms sometimes that do lots of damage and topple big trees, but nothing like these big hurricanes. Hope everyone gets out safely. 

Edited by Palm crazy
  • Upvote 1

Prayers go out. I have a sibling in Greensboro. They're taking their precautions.  Stay safe everyone 

• Upvote 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

They're still not sure where the eye will hit. They declared a state of emergency here Monday & reversed all the lanes on I-26 to west bound only. All it has done is paralyzed the entire area. Fuel trucks can't get in, food trucks can't get in... Total stupidity! The side roads coming into Charleston are now a parking lot because they can't handle the traffic. Also, if you get on I-26 west bound, they will not let you get off until you reach Orangeburg.

• Upvote 3

Run while you still can. If you can. Cars don't run well in storm surges . . .

:bummed:

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

A quick reminder for any home-brewers in the path of the storm.  Sanitize and fill all your carboys, fermenters, and other equipment with clean tap water, so you'll have it later.  Also remember that you have equipment to boil/sterilize water after the storm for you and your neighbors.

• Upvote 3

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

1 hour ago, Laaz said:

They're still not sure where the eye will hit. They declared a state of emergency here Monday & reversed all the lanes on I-26 to west bound only. All it has done is paralyzed the entire area. Fuel trucks can't get in, food trucks can't get in... Total stupidity! The side roads coming into Charleston are now a parking lot because they can't handle the traffic. Also, if you get on I-26 west bound, they will not let you get off until you reach Orangeburg.

Same thing happened in FL before Irma.There is no efficient way to evacuate tens of millions of people. That's why we calculated the risks and decided to stay at home. It helped our calculations that we have taken steps to storm protect our house: hurricane shutters, metal hip roof, generator. Our house has faced down Charley (cat. 4), Wilma (3) & Irma (3). At our elevation (15') in the center of the Cape, if a storm surge ever reaches us, much of the City will be underwater as well. There are so many 1000s of people at much greater risk than we are, so why should we panic and add to the dangerous gridlock on the roads?

• Upvote 2

Meg

Florida

Praying for safety for everyone affected!

Here in Florida we need to keep and eye on Isaac.

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

Not going anywhere, we have dogs that we're not leaving. I have plenty of beer to hold me over. The worst will be to the east of us unless something changes fast.

• Upvote 2

The good news is that it appears the high pressure over the east coast is shearing the storm and weakening it significantly.  It's down to a CAT 2.  There will still be a lot of rain, but a big difference as far as wind goes.

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

Even partially de-fanging a monster can’t hurt @kinzyjr!

• Upvote 1

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

The great god Huracan is coming.

Will they be there in a few more days?

Houses in Surfside Beach SC, 09-13-18

5b9aca30c5c57_housesonthebeachonSurfside

According to weather.com, the wind speed is down to 100mph.  Compared to what it was only a day ago, very good news.  The wind speed has been dropping all day.  It will likely make landfall as a Category 2.  This is not ideal, but a lot better than the direct hit from a Category 4 or 5 hurricane that was predicted a few days ago.  They're a little ahead of themselves on the time in the snip.

201809131645_HurricaneFlo.png

Lakeland, FL

I was in Charleston for the month doing some ophthalmology stuff, but we evacuated back to Florida for the time being. I'm hoping the storm passes uneventfully! 

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

On 9/11/2018, 10:08:40, PalmatierMeg said:

Take care, everyone, and good luck. If you plan to get out go now. If you wait till the last minute you will be caught up in horrendous traffic. You don't want to be sitting in gridlock on a highway when this thing hits. MD Son of South, be aware that this storm may drop feet of rain on the Appalachians and you will be at high risk of flash floods. That happened with Hurricane Agnes in 1972 and the floods were awful. You don't want to be trapped in those mountains for days if roads are washed out. I suggest you reconsider your plans esp. if you have young children. These storms are unforgiving.

Looks like the shift south is going to be our saving grace. 

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

I dont know about weather like some of yall do, but maybe all that do-si-do it did took some steam out of it. Still praying for the Carolinas just in case.

Edited by mdsonofthesouth

Stay safe everyone! I know a lot of you in the hurricane right now don't have power. Since the path of the hurricane changed and all we have here is a lot of rain. 

Edited by PalmTreeDude

PalmTreeDude

Having seen what hurricane and storm surges did to this area not that long ago I'm hoping anyone in an even remotely possible affected area has evacuated. The WeatherChannel has done several of these broadcasts to educate and really give people pause (if they need it) to what they could be facing if they elect to try waiting it out. Pretty dramatic and hope it does the trick to get people out of harms way.

Another similar view but emphasizing the types of things that can end up in the water.

If you are curious how they did this video background, Slashdot.org has this post about it: https://news.slashdot.org/story/18/09/14/1346205/how-the-weather-channel-made-that-insane-hurricane-florence-storm-surge-animation

Will be hoping we don't have any loss of life over this. Please stay safe out there and hope you've already reached inland and can watch the news coverage from afar.

• Upvote 1

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

Just read that a mother and baby died, father taken to hospital, in North Carolina storm area where a tree fell on their house. Another lady died from a heart attack when paramedics couldn't get to her due to flooded roads.

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

So far 4 deaths and around 100 or more people have been rescued so far. The coast is really getting it hard at 90 mph winds. So much rain and flooding inland!  

We had zero damage here. Getting some rain & just a few light gusts overnight. The media was hyping the crap out of this storm. Don't get me wrong, there were some deaths & damage near the eye but most of the coverage was nonsense... Just like this fool...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnpLy-nEgdY&pbjreload=10

• Upvote 1

I read early this morning the death toll was at least 6.

Prayers go out

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

In North Carolina, it looks like the Outer Banks from Cape Hatteras north fared relatively well, though the road north from Hatteras was closed by masses of sand.   The Wilmington area may have to go without water--the utility is almost out of fuel.  Inland flooding is nowhere near finished and predicted flood crests are looking very bad.  The Washington Post has very good coverage and is offering unlimited access to storm stories.

• Upvote 1

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

Best place to assess conditions in the Carolinas is Google Maps, Traffic.  It confirms that Wilmington is cut off, Fayetteville is scarcely better, but the South Carolina beaches are getting somewhat normal.

• Upvote 1

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

I talked to my brother in Raleigh today. He is sheltering an old college friend & family who had to evacuate Wilmington. They want to go home but authorities won't let any evacuees return yet. I40 was closed in both directions near the coast. My brother told me the interstate collapsed because of sinkholes. Rain has stopped but flood waters keep rising all over eastern NC. What a mess.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Florida

On 9/15/2018, 11:41:42, GottmitAlex said:

I read early this morning the death toll was at least 6.

Prayers go out

32 now

prayers

• Upvote 1