IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Excellent palm garden in PNW

Palm crazy

And many more mules in pots to plant maybe next spring, my favorite is the double trunk mule in that first pot pic anyway gonna be some frost protection going on till they get to 15 gallon at least 

13 hours ago, Love them palms said:

And many more mules in pots to plant maybe next spring, my favorite is the double trunk mule in that first pot pic anyway gonna be some frost protection going on till they get to 15 gallon at least 

Good. I was going to suggest the same for more of the tender ones while they are small. 

Well the ones in the pots are coming inside during the  fall and winter to continue growing, the only ones to really worry about are the butijubagrus  and butia x Jubea  cross and they don't have too far to go until they get 15 gallon. maybe not alot of protection needed this winter as I have been checking the winter outlook for this 19-20 year and they are calling for above average temperatures and a little less rain an snow. maybe get lucky this year a squeeze out a 9a-B style winter this season in our neck of the woods 

I hope that prediction holds up. They said the same thing last year if I remember right and the winter was going very well until February. On the bright side whatever plants survived after that month should have no problems with any future winters.

6 hours ago, nick206 said:

I hope that prediction holds up. They said the same thing last year if I remember right and the winter was going very well until February. On the bright side whatever plants survived after that month should have no problems with any future winters.

Well hopefully we will have a warmer than normal winter to make up for this so called normal summer we had this year. Go figure I decide to get into palms and Exotics and there was not much of a summer this year to push good growth 

1 hour ago, Love them palms said:

Well hopefully we will have a warmer than normal winter to make up for this so called normal summer we had this year. Go figure I decide to get into palms and Exotics and there was not much of a summer this year to push good growth 

Not the best summer. Very comfortable but no intensity. 

The last two winters here in Portland have been pretty easy. We didn’t get the cold blast that Washington did. Last two years it never went below 25f.  And even that was only a couple times for an hour or so. I had frost about 4 times each year in total. Some areas of Portland along the river are now rated 9a. Lets hope for another warm winter  

WOW! Vlad's garden has really taken off. I was last there in Sept '99 so almost 20 years ago. Vlad was really big into bamboo back then. I dug around for some pics from back then and came up with some. I have more and perhaps better 35mm pics, but can't seem to find them right now.

We stopped at Vlad's in Browns Point, then at Jungle Fever in Tacoma, and over the Vashon Island to a nursery there.

1. Vlad's place in Sept. 1999

2. Vlad showing figs (wearing a jacket)

3. Gerry at Jungle Fever Exotics in Tacoma.

001.jpg

A couple more from that day.

1. left to right. Myself, Gerry, (one of the local enthusiasts from Tacoma) and Vlad outside Jungle Fever.

2. One of the guys show us a bamboo tour at the Vashon Island nursery.

002.jpg

Edited by Las Palmas Norte