Jump to content
  • WELCOME GUEST

    It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

    Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

    PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

    guest Renda04.jpg

Excellent palm garden in PNW


Palm crazy

Recommended Posts

A friend and I went to see a palm garden in Browns Pointe WA. The garden is on a hill overlooking Puget Sound and is a solid 8b/9a. The last six year the lows have been 25F-27F. The gardeners are Vlad and Chris Shakov. The rope lighting on some of the palms is to help keep them warmer in winter and the owner says he gets more palm leaves this way. Lots of photos.

Brahea armata

 

DSC_0029.JPG

DSC_0054.JPG

DSC_0142.JPG

  • Like 3
  • Upvote 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This garden is not the norm here. This is a very special garden with lots of other exotic and in a great microclimate. Thanks for Looking. :D

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A dypsis decipiens that far north:blink:? That's really impressiveB). The Trachycarpus seem to love this location and I also like the look of the Butia very much. But it seems like some of these plants would tolerate more sun, especially the Jubaea and the Brahea armata. But indeed this is a very jungle-like garden:greenthumb:.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, LivistonaFan said:

A dypsis decipiens that far north:blink:? That's really impressiveB). The Trachycarpus seem to love this location and I also like the look of the Butia very much. But it seems like some of these plants would tolerate more sun, especially the Jubaea and the Brahea armata. But indeed this is a very jungle-like garden:greenthumb:.

LivistonaFan, I was surprised seeing the D. decipiens also.  

The garden is 30 years old and a lot of the exotic trees and shrub are very large now and adding to the shade, only so much room I guess, lol! I have the same problem in my garden only worst. Also, it was very hazy out that day because of the forest fires 100's of miles away...that's why some of the photos look a little orangy. 

Correction: Sable etonia is actually Sabal 'Riverside'. 

Thanks for the looking. 

Edited by Palm crazy
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Palm crazy said:

Trachycarpus Takil

 

DSC_0038.JPG

DSC_0141.JPG

This one is real thing. Old exemplars of Trachycarpus takil are very rare in cultivation.  

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Beautiful cold hardy garden. I love the Victorian style house, too.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Henoh said:

This one is real thing. Old exemplars of Trachycarpus takil are very rare in cultivation.  

Henoh, Yes that is the real deal!  Most likely the oldest one in the PNW. 

13 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Beautiful cold hardy garden. I love the Victorian style house, too.

Meg, the owner built the upper level by himself.  I think the house is an early craftsman, lower part anyways. Retired, and now a full-time artist. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for sharing the pics Palm crazy. That is quite impressive variety of palms they have especially for the pnw. Do they sell the harvested seeds from the palms?

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, southpacific73 said:

Thanks for sharing the pics Palm crazy. That is quite impressive variety of palms they have especially for the pnw. Do they sell the harvested seeds from the palms?

southpacific73, I'm not sure what they do with the seeds. He and his wife sometimes eat them. lol. 

Edited by Palm crazy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Palm crazy

Very nice garden!  Lush and green with a lot of "stuff that shouldn't be there", a nice house, and an out of the norm microclimate.  Thank you for sharing!

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Kinzyjr,  This is one of the best examples of those special microclimates around Puget Sound. The only true z9 in WA are along the coast and maybe in super protected areas around the Sound like this one. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, southpacific73 said:

Olive alternative for salad lol. Too bad would have been a great source for hardy seeds.

  I usually run into the owners at some spring plant sells. I'll differently ask them. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

All I can say is wow.  Definitely very inspiring.  That looks like a huge Schefflera there, easily the largest I've seen.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks, Chester B, there are lots of exotic plants and I will show them off in a few weeks on this trend to give the full feeling of this awesome garden.  Yes, that is a big Schefflera delavayi. One of the biggest I've seen too. 

Edited by Palm crazy
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a baby.  Much wider than it is tall, but it seems to be growing rather quickly.  That one your friends have is a monster.

 

Schefflera delayvii 2.jpg

Schefflera delayvii 1.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Great garden, thank you for sharing the photos. And wow! A Decipiens in the ground for 6 years! Incredible. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Chester B said:

I have a baby.  Much wider than it is tall, but it seems to be growing rather quickly.  That one your friends have is a monster.

 

Schefflera delayvii 2.jpg

Schefflera delayvii 1.jpg

Looking good Chester B!  :greenthumb: Cheers! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Josue Diaz said:

Great garden, thank you for sharing the photos. And wow! A Decipiens in the ground for 6 years! Incredible. 

Yeah, that is surprising! He uses rope lighting to help protect and it also growing next to a sunroom, and lots of overhead protection. 

Edited by Palm crazy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Palm crazy said:

Thanks, Chester B, there are lots of exotic plants and I will show them off in a few weeks on this trend to give the full feeling of this awesome garden.  Yes, that is a big Schefflera delavayi. One of the biggest I've seen too. 

:interesting:  I'm very interested to see the rest.  Please don't make us wait too long..

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, pin38 said:

First time I've heard of a dypsis in the PNW. Great pics, thanks for posting!

Yeah, that's probably the only one,  lol.  This winter is supposed to be mild again. Followed by an early spring.

Edited by Palm crazy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As if the palms ( esp. their Dypsis decipiens ) weren't impressive enough, all the "extras" growing there take the cake, so to say.. Assuming the big-leaved plant, above the Bamboo picts. is a Rhodo. sp.?   Don't recall ever seeing a variegated Ginko either.. Very cool garden indeed!.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Cikas said:

Wow, really beautiful garden! 

Thanks, Cikas, the owners get a lot of ideas for there garden from world travels and plant sells. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

As if the palms ( esp. their Dypsis decipiens ) weren't impressive enough, all the "extras" growing there take the cake, so to say.. Assuming the big-leaved plant, above the Bamboo picts. is a Rhodo. sp.?   Don't recall ever seeing a variegated Ginko either.. Very cool garden indeed!.  

Silas, that one is R. sinogrande one of the big leaf Rhododendrons. Grow to 30' tall and wide in part shade. Hardiness z8 -z10.  What's cool about the variegated Ginko it is a shrub only grows to 6'-8' tall. So great plant to see the foliage. 

Edited by Palm crazy
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Palm crazy said:

Silas, that one is R. sinogrande one of the big leaf Rhododendrons. Grow to 30' tall and wide in part shade. Hardiness z8 -z10.  What's cool about the variegated Ginko it a shrub type only grows to 6'-8' tall. So great plant to see the foliage. 

Interesting.. Wonder why this Ginko Var. stays smaller.  

Thought i'd recognized the Rhodo.  Remember seeing these type at the Botanical Garden in Berkeley years ago.. 

Somewhat off topic, anyone up your way ever come across Schefflera macrophylla yet?  Remembering the discussion about it here from some time ago. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



  • Recently Browsing

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...