IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Mixed up seedlings

Marius

Hi everyone 

im hoping that someone can help with identifying seedlings who's labels got mixed up.  I ordered the following seeds from a seed merchant:

Livistona decora 

Phoenix sylvestris 

Rhapidophyllum hystrix 

Trithrinax acanthocoma 

Trachycarpus takil

Of these only the following four sprouted.

Herewith the pictures. 

First pic Plant 1

Pic 2&3 Plant 2

Pic 4&5 Plant 3

Pic 6&7 Plant 4

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Then there is this one, which I suspect is either Chamaerops humilis 'vulcano' or Copernicia alba 

call this one Plant 5

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Finally there is Plant 6, which is I suspect a Brahea (I think B calcarea due to smooth petioles).  All inputs will be appreciated.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

4 hours ago, Marius said:

im hoping that someone can help with identifying seedlings who's labels got mixed up.

#1   I agree with Pal Meir that it seems to be very blue in color, but to me it looks like a very blue Phoenix silvestris (if I'm picking from your list).  I have one seedling about that size which is much greener than yours, but otherwise looks very similar.

#2  This one to me looks identical to a Trithrinax acanthocoma seedling that I have, but I'm not familiar with a Rhapidophyllum hystrix as a seedling so I couldn't rule that out.

#3  Could be Livistona decora although your seedling has small teeth along the leaf as well as the petiole which to me indicates L. nitida - my L. decora seedlings do not have the teeth along the edge of the leaf. Copernicia alba also has the small teeth along the edge of the leaf and petiole, but your #5 seedling only appears to have the teeth on the petiole.  Could #3 be C. alba and #5 L. decora?

Jon

• Upvote 1

Jon Sunder

#1 is a Brahea clara or Armata 100%

#2 This looks like your needle.

#3 is 100% L. decora.

#4 looks like a juvenile butia but could possibly T. Acanthacoma . It needs to grow a little more.  I'll take a look at my one gallons.

#5 Feel the outter edges of the leaves.  If it has hooks and catches your hand its Alba.  If not it is a Humilis.  I am 99% sure it is a humilis. 

#5 looks like Brahea Nitida or Dulcis at this age.

• Upvote 1

Wow. Thanks everyone for your insights. I do appreciate it. I will send follow up pics at the end of our Summer.