IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Similar to "favorite" palms, it is always changing which is my "favorite" cycad.  Over the weekend, I would have picked this hybrid, big green ancient and twisted looking Encephalartos horridus x woodii.  While my favorite will likely be different with a new flush, a cone, or maybe just different lighting, this gets the award today.  My son, my dog, and his ward (the black lab pup) all give this perspective on how long the leaves are given it's partial horridus parentage, but then again, the woodii is coming through.  The mother was a Steytlerville E horridus, which may explain part of the look.  I just love those vicious looking leaflets too!

So what is your current favorite?  Perhaps a colorful flushing Zamia or Ceratozamia, a fuzzy flushing Dioon, or a fork leafed Cycas species?  Enough suggestions, post your own favorite.

20180902-104A0534-2.jpg

20180716-104A0020.jpg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 9

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

11 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Any hint of blue on this one?

No hint of blue on it.  The new flush will have lime green leaflets with a tint of salmon color around the edges of them.  It hasn't coned yet, so sex is yet to be ascertained as well.  It is getting close to coning size if I compare it to the E arenarius x woodii hybrid I have. 

So what is your current favorite?  I'm sure that after a summer's growth, you have something that keeps catching your eye when walking among your plants.

• Upvote 1

@Tracy Its really hard to pick but the favorite right now is the Female Cairnsiana that was cross pollinated with Debaoensis because of the anticipated excitement. I have been dreaming of this cross for years. 

Visual stunners this year have been the Angulata and Bifida. I've stopped and admired those all summer long. 

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

the favorite right now is the Female Cairnsiana that was cross pollinated with Debaoensis because of the anticipated excitement

That cross is worthy of anticipation.  It requires a bit of patience, as you will have to see if the pollen takes, then complete the germination, and wait to see what the fruit bears.  As we know these hybrids can also morph a bit from flush to flush, so it is quite the contrary to instant gratification.  It will be fun to watch their progress with some photos a few years out.  Great pic of the mama :drool:, she is a beauty!

16 hours ago, Palm Tree Jim said:

Very nice!

Jim, you must have something which really rocks your socks right now, please do share.

It’s hard to pick a my favorite Cycad because I love all of them. I really like your choice of horridus x woodii. Here are some pictures of mine. 

D093E898-22CE-4953-8946-E21D7BC42838.jpeg

8C45F452-007A-4A7A-8406-C8C56C3B7491.jpeg

0608EB92-036A-40A6-88DB-CF5FD7C3833E.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Tracy said:

Jim, you must have something which really rocks your socks right now, please do share.

Ok.

Let me get a picture.

3 hours ago, 5150cycad said:

It’s hard to pick a my favorite Cycad because I love all of them. I really like your choice of horridus x woodii. Here are some pictures of mine. 

D093E898-22CE-4953-8946-E21D7BC42838.jpeg

8C45F452-007A-4A7A-8406-C8C56C3B7491.jpeg

0608EB92-036A-40A6-88DB-CF5FD7C3833E.jpeg

Great plant Bryan.

• Upvote 1

Killer encephalartos Tracy and Brian! Jim, is yours the same cross? 

Joe, you have some of the coolest cycas. 

I have a very young collection of cycads, having just recently become interested in palms/cycads. My biggest obsession right now are plants in the cycas genus. I just had my first cycas cupida sprout this week. Not anything worth a photo, but eventually it should turn out to be a cool looking plant. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Palm Tree Jim said:

The one floats my boat.....

6BB8D3ED-540A-4461-9D7A-E435F8158A79.jpeg

.... a latifrons floats many a boat, including mine!  So your plant just jumped up to my favorite .... at least for today!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Josue Diaz said:

Killer encephalartos Tracy and Brian! Jim, is yours the same cross? 

Joe, you have some of the coolest cycas. 

I have a very young collection of cycads, having just recently become interested in palms/cycads. My biggest obsession right now are plants in the cycas genus. I just had my first cycas cupida sprout this week. Not anything worth a photo, but eventually it should turn out to be a cool looking plant. 

No cross.

Trapps Valley Latifrons.

2 hours ago, Palm Tree Jim said:

The one floats my boat.....

6BB8D3ED-540A-4461-9D7A-E435F8158A79.jpeg

A beautiful plant, indeed! Well done, Jim.

Mission Viejo, CA

Limited coastal influence

5-10 days of frost

IPS and PSSC Member

I have to admit that while i haven't yet caught a serious case of the Cycad bug and am currently growing some Coontie / a few other, noid seedlings and both a larger Coontie specimen, and Ceratozamia hildae atm, i find myself most attracted to ( and plan on adding later ) Blue colored Encephalartos, and  Ceratozamia / Zamia species with colorful new growth, or unusual leaf patterns.  

That being said, of those i plan on pursuing, E. lehmannii  is easily my #1. Followed by E. princeps.  

Interesting that both will be easier to track down than some of the Ceratozamia sp. on my wish list ( C. norstogii, C. zaragozae, C. decumbens) 

6 hours ago, Josue Diaz said:

I just had my first cycas cupida sprout this week. Not anything worth a photo, but eventually it should turn out to be a cool looking plant

Based on what I have seen of Cycas cupida and the hybrid C thouarsii x cupida I have growing, you will be pleased with your plant.  It's worthy of a special spot in your garden where it will be a highlight.  Jim's E. latifrons Trapp's Valley is a specimen that commands premium real estate in any cycad garden because it is so spectacular!  I also loved Brian's E horridus x woodii.  You can see his is showing a little bit of wax on the pinnae.   I can't help but wonder if it is the result of climate or just exhibiting a little different genetics than mine, which has the almost glossy green pinnae.

5 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Ceratozamia sp. on my wish list ( C. norstogii, C. zaragozae, C. decumbens) 

Sometimes I feel that Ceratozamia's are under appreciated.  All the ones you mention are spectacular plants.  Nothing like a flush of bronze emergent leaflets on some of the Ceratozamia's!  You did leave off one of the most spectacular Ceratozamia's imo, which is Ceratozamia europhyllidia.  I have been watching a friend's grow for a while now.  I just worry about whether it would survive a cold snap in my garden when we get a cold year.

• Upvote 1

@Silas_Sancona I'll post a few pictures of Zaragoza and Norstogii flushes soon.  Both species have been flushing and I finally have enough zaragozae (11 plants) for a breeding colony and soon enough for the Norstogii. These are incredibly difficult plants to find. I have quite a few lehmanii available but princeps are much harder to find.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

@Silas_Sancona I'll post a few pictures of Zaragoza and Norstogii flushes soon.  Both species have been flushing and I finally have enough zaragozae (11 plants) for a breeding colony and soon enough for the Norstogii. These are incredibly difficult plants to find. I have quite a few lehmanii available but princeps are much harder to find.

:greenthumb: Joe,  Appreciate the info.

Will be a year or two before i start building a collection but good to know of a source for both norstogii and zaragozae in time.  Kopsick was where i had seen C. norstogii in person. 

@Tracy,
Funny you mentioned C. euryphyllidia. Had just done some casual research on that species. 

12 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

i plan on pursuing, E. lehmannii  is easily my #1. Followed by E. princeps.  

Interesting that both will be easier to track down than some of the Ceratozamia sp. on my wish list

When you are in the market for an Encephalartos princeps, one of the vendors who participates in this forum has a nice selection: George Sparkman of Cycads-n-Palms.  He often has a range of sizes from seedlings up to large specimens of princeps available.

43 minutes ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

I'll post a few pictures of Zaragoza and Norstogii flushes soon.

Looking forward to seeing these!  :drool:

• Upvote 1

At the moment my favorite is my Dioon edule var. 'Queretaro' I found at a local nursery this past spring. It was obviously neglected but was a lovely blue-green. Flash forward nearly 6 months after I repotted and fertilized it. New leaves are twice as long as old ones and it has produced half a dozen offsets. Caudex is nearly 8" diameter.

Dioon edule var. 'Queretaro', Cape Coral, FL 

5b95a51fa5fc1_DioonedulevQuerertaro0109-5b95a52d6089c_DioonedulevQuerertaro0209-5b95a538cb928_DioonedulevQuerertaro0309-

• Like 1
  • Upvote 8

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

On 9/9/2018, 3:58:43, PalmatierMeg said:

6 months after I repotted and fertilized it. New leaves are twice as long as old ones and it has produced half a dozen offsets.

Looks like it really responded well to the care!  A very lovely form of D. edule!

On 9/9/2018, 3:58:43, PalmatierMeg said:

At the moment my favorite is my Dioon edule var. 'Queretaro' I found at a local nursery this past spring. It was obviously neglected but was a lovely blue-green. Flash forward nearly 6 months after I repotted and fertilized it. New leaves are twice as long as old ones and it has produced half a dozen offsets. Caudex is nearly 8" diameter.

Dioon edule var. 'Queretaro', Cape Coral, FL 

5b95a51fa5fc1_DioonedulevQuerertaro0109-5b95a52d6089c_DioonedulevQuerertaro0209-5b95a538cb928_DioonedulevQuerertaro0309-

Very nice! There's a local grower that has several variants of edule. One has yellow petioles and glaucous leaves. They label them by the name of the location where they sourced the seed from. Edule is such a diverse species. 

The latest "twist" to my favorite is this one which is flushing a second flush of the season.  Its still small so who knows how it will develop as it goes from this young adolescent state?  Encephalartos (arenarius x horridus) x latifrons

20180920-104A0710-2.jpg

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Tracy said:

The latest "twist" to my favorite is this one which is flushing a second flush of the season.  Its still small so who knows how it will develop as it goes from this young adolescent state?  Encephalartos (arenarius x horridus) x latifrons

20180920-104A0710-2.jpg

Any blue with this hybrid yet?

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Palm Tree Jim said:

Any blue with this hybrid yet?

As you can see in the photo, there is a little bit of sunscreen showing up on the pinnae to give them a hint of blue.  Perhaps there will be more as it gets bigger.  It is still young and small.  I may have been a little ahead of myself describing it as adolescent.  Juvenile might be a better description still.

20180910-104A0586.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Since this one is flushing again, it's made it back to the top of the list.  Encephalartos (arenarius x latifrons) x latifrons

20181002-104A0768.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

2 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Still trying to find the perfect spot?

I have a spot in mind, but haven't finalized the selection.  In the interim, it seems happy in it's pot!  I'm sure you have something that has been drawing you back of late, post an update of which one it is.

1 hour ago, 5150cycad said:

This Encephalartos Princeps caught my eye the other day. 

EE00EEBD-AA60-4DD9-ACD9-FD90F7992FFB.jpeg

Wow! What a magnificent plant.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.