IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Trachycarpus ID

Chester B

Here's another palm I purchased from my local palm nursery.  The owner told me he thought this palm was around 25 years old and has lived it's whole life in the pot.  He told me it was a Takil and felt due to its age that this was the real deal.  I think it may be a cross or even straight T Fortunei.  The differences with this Trachy and others I have is that the diameter or width and length of each frond is much larger and it tends to grow with more of a open topped vase shape to it.  Trunk seems to be of average width and it was growing a little prostrate in the beginning.  Regardless of ID it's a real nice specimen.  Thanks. 

Takil 1.jpg

Takil 2.jpg

Takil 3.jpg

Takil 4.jpg

Takil 5.jpg

• Upvote 1

I had my doubts as to the age as well.  I put it in the ground and it showed no signs of transplant shock like others I have, it's growing relatively quickly.

Thanks everyone for confirming what i thought.  Regardless, I needed a nice palm for that spot and got one that I'm happy with.B)

• Upvote 1

May be Trachycarpus nanus. This is one of mine after being in the ground over 15 years. Has never flowered & is about waist high total.

20180901_160001.jpg

• Upvote 1

No this palm is big and growing rapidly in the ground, just a nice cultivar of fortunei I believe.  

So today I was out at a very well know and respected specialty nursery here in the Portland area and randomly came across what I think are real Takil.  Although small they are showing almost non existent ligules and and very tidy trunk.  This place rarely carries palms and when they do they are quite pricey and this little palm was too.  I also picked up a regular form of Metapanax delayviii when i was there to add to the collection, as I currently have their "Stout" variety.

LIttle Takil 1.jpg

LIttle Takil 2.jpg

LIttle Takil 3.jpg

• Upvote 1

Problem is, in USA, Nani Tal is often sold under the name Takil. Bigger leaves and faster growth is caracteristic of Nani Tal. Real Takil has olive green leaves on one side and very silver, almost as white as princeps on other side. Takil is also slower, not faster than fortunei. Also Takil leaves have deeper even split between segments (compared with fortunei) . There is also more of these segments per leaf. Leaves are also more stiff, they are never droppy like fortunei ones. 

Edited by Cikas

9 hours ago, Chester B said:

No this palm is big and growing rapidly in the ground, just a nice cultivar of fortunei I believe.  

So today I was out at a very well know and respected specialty nursery here in the Portland area and randomly came across what I think are real Takil.  Although small they are showing almost non existent ligules and and very tidy trunk.  This place rarely carries palms and when they do they are quite pricey and this little palm was too.  I also picked up a regular form of Metapanax delayviii when i was there to add to the collection, as I currently have their "Stout" variety.

LIttle Takil 1.jpg

LIttle Takil 2.jpg

LIttle Takil 3.jpg

I belive this is true T.takil. Silver color of underside of leaves will be developed in older stage. 

T.takil is not hardy as T. fortunei in juvenile stage. They are more zone 8 palm. Mine survived almost constant month subzero temperatures in winter 2016/17 but defoliated without spear puling.

January 2017

https://en.tutiempo.net/climate/01-2017/ws-142400.html

My garden at weekend house 20-30 km to the east from Zagreb is even colder, cca -16 Celsius. Last winter was not that cold but we hit with late cold in March 2018 and T.takil (roots was protected only with pine strows same as in previus year) and defoliated again. 

March 2018

https://en.tutiempo.net/climate/03-2018/ws-142400.html

First picture are from February 2018, and second one from end of March 2018

97345FCE-42D9-49EE-86EB-20D226A037EA.jpeg

9D83DA01-4CF8-42A2-BC68-DC2D5418E023.jpeg

Edited by Henoh
  • Upvote 1

"T.takil is not hardy as T. fortunei in juvenile stage. They are more zone 8 palm. Mine survived almost constant month subzero temperatures in winter 2016/17 but defoliated without spear puling. "

Good thing I live in zone 8b:greenthumb:  Last winter the coldest I saw was -4.5C and that was only for a couple hours.  The entire winter we had 4 nights that dipped below freezing for a few hours, with our coldest daytime high being 2C.  To be safe I might protect on any nights that will be below zero this first year.

I'm happy to see yours pulled through ok.

• Upvote 1