IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

New growing point

Fusca

I planted out my 3-year old Sabal riverside seedling this past Sept.  It had been a pretty fast grower as far as Sabals go until this calendar year.  We hit a low temp of 20° this past January, but I covered him up and saw no foliage damage whatsoever until mid-March when I noticed the spear had turned brown and it pulled.  I treated it with some hydrogen peroxide.  There must have been some damage to the meristem because I now see a spear coming out the side.  It did not show any growth or any change in appearance to the leaves and I kept it watered and finally gave it some fertilizer a few weeks ago which must have prompted the new growth.  Based on what I've seen in other posts it should recover, but is there anything I should do to help it along?

Also, I planted it at the same level that it was in the community pot where I germinated the seed.  The "heel" appears to be above the soil line and after one year it does not appear to be pulling itself down any.  Based on the photo, does any of you Sabal growers think that it is planted too high?  Or is this normal for S. riverside and I should leave it alone?  I have 2 other Sabal seedlings that are roughly the same size but the "heel" on those are not nearly as pronounced.  All 3 appear to be planted at the same depth but this one looks to me like it needs more soil around the base.  I appreciate any advice.

Jon

001.JPG

Jon Sunder

Thanks.  Yes it's a constant battle keeping the Bermuda grass from crawling over the mulch.  After more than 6 months with no sign of life I'm happy to see it's still in there fighting!

Jon Sunder

• 10 months later...

How has this done this year? I'm thinking of growing a few. Apparently they are pretty fast for a sabal. 

It's had a challenging life for sure!  Two months after my original post (last October) it spear pulled a second time!  I never had this issue growing Sabal seedlings before but I think it might have been due to how I was watering it - having water splash up on it from the hose.  A friend in Houston told me he has had Sabals spear pull in summer due to them being planted too deep and they didn't survive.  I don't think that is the case with mine though.  All of the original leaves on mine have since turned brown and died, but the one remaining leaf from the second growing point is still green and healthy, but still no new spear.  I'm watering all of my Sabals on drip now, but I'm thinking that this one is dead and just doesn't know it yet.  I've got another 'Riverside' ready to take its place but I'm leaving this one in place for awhile more to see if it starts a third growing point!

Randy, I say go ahead and try it - they are pretty fast for a Sabal.  What you see in the photo above is two year's growth from seed: holding 6 strap leaves + new spear before it started having issues.  I'd just take care not to plant too deep and water with care while small.

• Upvote 2

Jon Sunder

Sounds good. I'll give it a whirl. I'm looking for some decent beefy sabals for my property. This one sounds like it might be a winner. :greenthumb:

• 8 months later...

I finally have an end to the story.  After 17 months of no new growth my Sabal riverside had given up.  RIP.  Good news is that I started a few more seeds just in case and I have a 14 months old seedling in the bullpen.  Healthy and happy it filled out the cup with roots.

IMG_20200309_152722.jpg

Now it's in the ground.  Hopefully I'll be able to grow it better this time!

IMG_20200309_155812.jpg

Edited by Fusca
  • Like 4

Jon Sunder

2 hours ago, Fusca said:

Now it's in the ground.  Hopefully I'll be able to grow it better this time

Fingers crossed from me too !!! If this doesnt make it go ahead and hit Phil @JM for a 5gal. I bet you'll have no problem with that one =) Mine is absolutely loving its spot 

• Upvote 1

T J 

Thanks guys - good to know Phil could bail me out if this one doesn't make it either.  LOL!

Jon Sunder

I would not put them into the ground so small in a cold area.  Sabals grow big root systems and their cold hardiness improves as they mature.  I would grow the palm to a 15-20 gallon size with leaves 3' tall, plant it, and then cover and protect it for 3-4 winters in a tent.  After that with some size, I'd back off.  Small palms going right into the ground is more for more optimized growing conditions.  I saw a huge sabal, probably a riverside, at the SA medical center 15 years ago.  A recent photo is at th eend of this thread:

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank